Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY g.e. 1.9
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    Bag, foam or wool
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    The WalMarts I went to in my area claimed to not have any ripstop available. Had to procure mine from Joann fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by AT4ever View Post
    The WalMarts I went to in my area claimed to not have any ripstop available. Had to procure mine from Joann fabrics.
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post
    Another question - as for materials for the hammock itself, what would you guys recommend?

1.9 ripstop nylon: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...hable-fabrics/
    or a pre-sewn taffeta blank: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...ammock-blanks/
    Just checked Joann. The taffeta they have is only 58" wide and the finished blank sold (above) is finished around 59" for a lot less money. Also, their ripstop was $7/yd. It looks like the 2 backwoods gear options are my best bet.

Any suggestions on the two? I'm not sure what the difference between tafetta and ripstop nylon is.

Also, I bet I could get a few more inches in width if I bought 4 yards of ripstop nylon from backwoods. How hard is it to hem the edges in with a sewing machine?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    at 170lbs, you can go with 1.1. There are many good vendors, and lots of folks buy stuff from DIYGearsupply every day.

Their O.D. Green 1.1 2nds is a great deal, and you can make a single or double layer hammock, as you desire. Personally, I'd go with a minimum length of 10'6" (my favorite hammock is 11' before sewing)

If you don't want to wait, you can get 40% of 50% off coupons for Joanns pretty easily. (they have an iphone and android app) though I like the 1.1 fabric better (feels better).

If you're not going to sew-on a bugnet, I'd consider doing the Knotty Stretch-side modifications-- works great!

It's easier to make a hammock than you think, dive right in!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks John!

Here's what I have in my cart at DIYgear:
    -8 yards 1.1 oz ripstop nylon 2nds (Olive Green)
    -2' 1/16" polyester drawcord for whipping the ends of the hammock
    -12' 1.9mm Tech Line for a structured ridge line
    TOTAL: $37.64 after tax and shipping
    OR with 4 yards of 1.1 ripstop 2nds: $21.65
    OR with 4 yards of 1.9 ripstop 1sts: $30.26

*what would you guys recommend? A 1.1 double, 1.1 single, or 1.9 single?

I'm going to see if I can find this at a local marine store today:
    -6' 1/8" Amsteel Blue to attach the SRL (I think this is what it's for...this is what diygearsupply.com said on their DIY hammock guide)
    -30' 1/8" Amsteel Blue for the whoopie slings

Plus straps for cheap and biners for free. Any more thoughts before I make my first purchase from DIYgear?
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 04-27-2012 at 08:32.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    You probably don't need the 1/8 size Amsteel if you still want to consolidate that order. I just placed my order with Scott at DIYgearsupply a few minutes ago and got 50 ft of the 7/64 size. I have used that on my first DIY hammock I just sold to a buddy, and I have about 100 lbs on you! I also have used the 1.9mm tech line for an adjustable ridgeline with great success. It splices just like Amsteel. Have fun! I am looking forward to getting my stuff to make my second DIY double layer!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have all three, but as a first or only hammock, my personal preference is a 1.1 double. A 1.1 single is good, but the slight stretch takes away a bit of comfort (for me). A 1.9 single is good but does not allow the option of slipping a pad between the layers and only saves a slight amount of weight over the 1.1 dbl.

The 1.1 dbl gives you the most options to experiment with and is still my go to model. My current favorites are 10'6" finished length.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    You probably don't need the 1/8 size Amsteel if you still want to consolidate that order. I just placed my order with Scott at DIYgearsupply a few minutes ago and got 50 ft of the 7/64 size. I have used that on my first DIY hammock I just sold to a buddy, and I have about 100 lbs on you! I also have used the 1.9mm tech line for an adjustable ridgeline with great success. It splices just like Amsteel. Have fun! I am looking forward to getting my stuff to make my second DIY double layer!
    Did you call them? Their website says they are out of stock of 7/64" Amsteel. Let me know if they have a phone number I can call. I dont see one on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I have all three, but as a first or only hammock, my personal preference is a 1.1 double. A 1.1 single is good, but the slight stretch takes away a bit of comfort (for me). A 1.9 single is good but does not allow the option of slipping a pad between the layers and only saves a slight amount of weight over the 1.1 dbl.

The 1.1 dbl gives you the most options to experiment with and is still my go to model. My current favorites are 10'6" finished length.
    1.1 double it is! Thanks! I'll post once I start to build.
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 04-27-2012 at 09:57.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Warbonnet has a good chart for deciding what weight fabric to use.

I don't know what the taffeta weight is but I'm guessing it's heavier than the 1.9. If you're concerned with weight go with the 1.9. The polyester is going to have less stretch so it has the potential of being more comfortable. So, you have to look at what your use is going to be, backpacking vs car camping, and use what's going to work best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Warbonnet has a good chart for deciding what weight fabric to use.

I don't know what the taffeta weight is but I'm guessing it's heavier than the 1.9. If you're concerned with weight go with the 1.9. The polyester is going to have less stretch so it has the potential of being more comfortable. So, you have to look at what your use is going to be, backpacking vs car camping, and use what's going to work best for you.
    Thanks for the link. That helped me solidify that I want to make a 1.1 double.

With that being said, I just placed an order on DIYgear for everything but the amsteel (I have a gift card for biners, and maybe a bag too).

Total cost so far: $42.73
    -12' techline
    -2 yards polyester drawcord
    -8 yards 1.1oz ripstop 2nds
    -14' polyester webbing

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    [QUOTE=FightingTheTide;718256]Did you call them? Their website says they are out of stock of 7/64" Amsteel. Let me know if they have a phone number I can call. I dont see one on their website.

Well, it sure showed up when I placed the order. I was going to order one color of fabric and the website said they didn't have enough to fulfill the order, so I changed that, but I never had a snag with the 7/64 Amsteel. Now that I go on there it does say out of stock. I'll email Scott to double check. He is really good at responding to email. I don't have a number either. You can buy Amsteel from Dutch too in 25ft increments. http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/rope/ if you can't find locally. He ships pretty quickly too. Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast