Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Here's how I make my SRL's...
    1. First: an 18" piece of 7/64" amsteel, made into a 3" loop.
    2. Make a locked brummel with the techline, with the techline and amsteel interlaced.
    3. Tie a triple-overhand knot in the free end and superglue in place.
    4. Push the loop through the center of your whipping, with the knot outside the fabric, pull the techline inside.
    5. Make another loop with amsteel for the other end.
    6. Pull the techline through and tie a taught-line hitch.

I'll have to find pics, but it nicely puts the SRL inside the hammock...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    For length I used the formula from Ed Speer's book. It's your height +2ft +28in for knot + 3in for hem. It's based off the presumption that you'll tie a knot at the ends and the 28in is for 200-300lb. It would be 24in under that range and 30in over. I'm 6' and mine ended up being 10' since I decided to try channels rather than knots. The general consensus seems to be that longer is more comfy than shorter. Just keep in mind that the longer the hammock, the larger the tarp needed to keep it dry. If weight is an issue to you it can compound quickly.
    I think I'm going to sew a channel instead of whipping. So instead of 28" you used 21" for a channel?

If I used that, I would get:
    75" (my height) + 24" + 21" + 3" = 10' 4"

The DIY guide I've been following says start with 10' 6", so I'll just go with that. Thanks! Another piece of the puzzle figured out!
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 05-11-2012 at 09:04.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Here is what I have so far for suspension and SRL:

-2 Whoopie slings made from 15' of 7/64" Amsteel Blue, made per these instructions
    -2 continuous loops made from 3' of Amsteel Blue - I did this instead of step 5 found here
    -18' 4" of 1.9mm Tech Line
    -15' 2" of 1" poly webbing
    -6' 8" of polyester drawcord
    -4 aluminum descender rings

I plan on sewing a channel in the end of the hammock and wrapping it up with my polyester drawcord. From there I'll add my whoopie slings with a larks head knot. Next step then is to make loops at each end of my Tech Line and run the whoopies through those loops to attach the SRL (which sounds like what you guys have already suggested, unless I am missing something).

What I don't think I will end up using are the two continuous loops. If I can get two loops at each end of my Tech Line, they won't be necessary. And the descender rings will probably hang around in case I want to try a ring-buckle suspension...or if anyone has any cool ideas for them.

Also, I have a 10" x 5" x 3" REI stuff sack lying around. I'll see if I can get a hole in the bottom to use it as a bishop bag.

From there it's just making tree straps and then...a nap in my new hammock.
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 05-11-2012 at 10:47.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Sounds like you've got it figured out. When I did the formula it came out to 10' 7". I went with 10' 6" because it's half of 7 yd for a double layer. After hems and channels it turned out to be 10'.

The rational for using the loops and rings is to raise the ridge line higher off the hammock. I just like a little more room under my bug net.

I found my Techline too difficult to work with for fixed loops. I probably could have made one, but the bury seemed impossible for me.

So I did some research on bowlines, and found a wikipedia article on a Yosemite Bowline. It's just a bowline with a different finish, which is supposed to make it a little more reliable. I tied one on each end of my Tech Line to make my 101" SRL.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336750971.374251.jpg

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Seems reasonable. The SRL isn't as much of a critical weight bearing part so whatever goes from A to B should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Seems reasonable. The SRL isn't as much of a critical weight bearing part so whatever goes from A to B should work.
    I figured that a bowline was a good knot to use since it's a rescue knot. If in the future these fail me, and if I can find a thinner needler, I'll try another variation to attach it.

Looking forward to getting this finished! I'll post pictures and update along the way.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I've used 0.020 inch floral wire to spice lash-it which is 1.75mm. It might work for your techline.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I find tech line buries are easy to do if I work the line to loosen it up first.

I suggest you make your hammock 11' finished length. It would be about 10'-6" between lashings. Sew a strong channel and you will have the option of lark's heading the whoopies through the channel (as in second photo of post #41) or lashing as you plan. It's good to have options.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I suggest you make your hammock 11' finished length. It would be about 10'-6" between lashings.
    What would be the starting length before sewing? 11'6"?

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Sew a strong channel and you will have the option of lark's heading the whoopies through the channel (as in second photo of post #41)
    oooooh I like that idea! It looks like it takes up a lot less room, and if anything it just looks a lot cleaner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast