Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

First Hammock - Making it myself - Suggestions welcome!

I think I am going to take on the challenge of making my own hammock. I went by to take a look at ENO hammocks today at a local store, but decided they cost more than I wanted to spend. After doing some reading on DIY Gear Supply and tothewoods.net, here's my plan:

-1.9 oz ripstop nylon from Walmart (not sure what the width is) ***how much length should I get?
    -2' 1/16" polyester drawcord for whipping the ends of the hammock
    -12' 1.9mm Tech Line for a structured ridge line
    -6' 1/8" Amsteel Blue to attach the SRL (I think this is what it's for...this is what diygearsupply.com said on their DIY hammock guide)
    -30' 1/8" Amsteel Blue for the whoopie slings
    -I am pretty sure I have some old polyester straps I can use for tree huggers (free!)
    -I'll buy 2 carabiners locally with a gift card (free!)

I'm hoping to keep all of this around or under $50

So far I know the drawcord, amsteel, and tech line will cost ~$18.

I'm 6'3'' and 170 lbs, and familiar with knots (Eagle Scout). I'm wanting to use this for relaxing afternoons. Once I get the hang of this, I might add some more gear to make it possible to spend the night in this rig.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    That gives you roughly $30 for the hammock itself. That might be a bit optimistic depending on where you get the fabric. If you already have everything you need for DIY you might be able to do it. But to buy a sewing machine on top of everything else you are better off buying a hammock.

Incidentally Grand Trunk and Treklight have offerings ready made that come in at less than that. Up to you. Wal Mart does not always have ripstop. I haven't seen any in mine for ages. But Polyester taffeta is usually there in abundance if you don't need a special color.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    here is Knotty's video on making a simple gathered end hammock

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

1/8th amsteel is overkill imo, i'm 200lb and use 7/64ths, you can save a couple bucks there

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Its unfortunate that retailers have to mark up ENO hammocks when they can be easily purchased on Amazon for under $50.
    I should add that I have no thread injecting skills whatsoever and would probably lose a digit or 3 in a terrible accident 5 minutes in.

Good luck with the build, post pics!

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Thankfully my wife already owns a sewing machine, so that's taken care of.

Is there another good vendor to go through other than backwoods day dreamer? Their site says they are out of stock of 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

I'll check my local walmart tomorrow to see what offerings they have for nylon.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post

Is there another good vendor to go through other than backwoods day dreamer? Their site says they are out of stock of 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

Redden Marine is a great source for Amsteel Blue of all shapes, colors, and sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
    Redden Marine is a great source for Amsteel Blue of all shapes, colors, and sizes.
    I see they have it, but they dont have any of the other materials I need. I'm wanting to consolidate a purchase through one online retailer to save on shipping. Any other suggestions?

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post

Looks like there are a couple of West Marines in your area. Call ahead to make sure they have the amsteel you want, they may only stock gray but can order any color. When you go in to pick your stuff up take a print out of Redden Marine's prices and they will match them and you save on the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Looks like there are a couple of West Marines in your area. Call ahead to make sure they have the amsteel you want, they may only stock gray but can order any color. When you go in to pick your stuff up take a print out of Redden Marine's prices and they will match them and you save on the shipping.
    Thanks! I'll check on that tomorrow. There's one around the corner from walmart.

Another question - as for materials for the hammock itself, what would you guys recommend?

1.9 ripstop nylon: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...hable-fabrics/
    or a pre-sewn taffeta blank: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...ammock-blanks/

These are two options I am keeping an eye on if walmart lets me down.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast