Directions to Withlacoochee Forest from Tampa, Florida?

I need directions to the Richloam tract at Withlacoochee from St Petersburg/Tampa area. Mapquest is useless. Im looking for the fastest route without the tolls.

Can anyone provide me with information about Richloam as well. Check stations, parking, water, lakes, ponds, streams. It would be helpful. I want to do an few overnights up there this weekend.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The Richloam fire tower is where you want to park. The address is:

38266 Richloam Clay Sink Rd
    Webster‎ Florida‎ 33597
    United States

The directions according to Google Maps are fairly easy. Once you get out of Tampa proper, get on I-75 and head north. When you hit Exit 301, get off and merge onto SR 50 eastbound. After just under eight miles, make a right onto Aka Porter Gap Road (I can vouch for this part, at least; I rode down it to the 2nd Annual Hike & Hang last month). Merge onto Richloam Clay Sink Road, and the fire tower will be on the right about a quarter mile or so down the road.

You can park there, and they want you to sign in at the kiosk where the maps are (helps 'em if SAR is needed at some point). There are several different hikes through the area; I've only done the one during the Hike & Hang, so I can only comment there.

It's a dry hike. There's the Little Withalacooche River, but when we were there it was a mud puddle. A little further up the north loop there, we came across Blue Sink (really, it was green; see the photos in the trip report). That would be filterable, though I'd try to pre-filter it as much as possible.

It's doable, if you bring enough water carrying capacity or cache water (what we did). There's a map of that loop located somewhere in the planning thread for the hang.

If you've got specific questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. I'll answer what I can.

Hope it helps!

Your directions were spot on. That is what I needed. I just want to filter some water, build a campfire, hang my hammock and enjoy my trip.

I can see Cortez Road/51 as it goes to Richloam Clay Sink Road. I do not see Porter Gap Road. Is Porter Gap Road before Richloam Clay Sink Rd or after?

Thanks.
    Last edited by tomahawk67; 04-26-2012 at 20:44.

• + New Posts