WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Momentum9 & SpinnTex as alternative materials?

Has anyone made a hammock out of Momentum?

headchange4U: Any new thoughts of using Momentum as material for a hammock? You noted in a previous thread the material looks thicker & tighter, maybe stronger than 1.9 ripstop. Is it as breathable?

At Thru-Hiker a material they mentioned for making stuff sacks (an option for one of their kits) was a silcone impregnated ripstop material called SpinnTex at 0.7oz/yd. Has anyone made a tarp out of this material?

tight-wad: how has your SpinnTex stuff sack been holding up?

Both these materials are relatively expensive when compared to 1.9 ripstop and 1.1 silnylon. Expensive options for saving weight assuming the material is suitable for hammocks and tarps, but so are Ti sporks and pots.

Images
    I have wanted to try Momentum for a hammock for awhile! (Project No. 14 or so...) I think the cost is what drives people away. Especially when you can find ripstop at walwizzle for $1/yd.

That said, I think Momentum is a very interesting thing to pursue. (Hopefully not me, for I don't have near the cash for that kind of thing. But if you didn't really like it, you could always use the fabric for a sleeping bag or some other projects. ) If you are making a double layer hammock, the weight savings would not justify the extra $$ IMO. However, if you are making a single layer, it is a different story...

I wonder if a single layer would be sufficiant to use? 1.1 ripstop is pretty flimsy, and works for folks who are on the thin side. But it doesn't provide a good lay; too much stretch. So, I wonder if the .9 Momentum would act the same, or be magical and provide a nice lay?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have worked with momentum90 for my quilts and I think it is strong enough and won't stretch too much. I can not tear a 1" ribbon of the salvage. i agree if you are going for a double layer, you should use 1.1. Ayce at thru insists that momentum90 weighs 1.05 +/- .02 but all three batches I recieved weigh 1.12. small difference but something to concider since you are paying a lot for a reletively small amount of weight savings. I know it is listed a breathable, but I wonder how breathable it is. it may not be breathable enough to stop condensation in a hammock. I think the feel of the non-shiney side wold be great but it wold mean that you have a shiney outside of a hammock (no biggie). I have 7 yards of purple that is waiting for me to make a quilt for my wife. Maybe I'll whip it and try it out. Worst comes to worst I can always get another wife, right.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Spinn tex sack is going strong. I use it for my quilt, and use 2 web straps to compress it down to volley ball size. Several multiple-day trips with it and multiple stuffings showing it off to family and friends. Amazing stuff!

Quilt is made with momentum. Did not measure and weigh before making the quilt, but it sure seems light. Hammock? hmm... You could try, but it could be an expensive test.

My Ti pot is also going strong. It hurt to pay that much for something so small and simple, but it was worth it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have worked with momentum90 for my quilts and I think it is strong enough and won't stretch too much. I can not tear a 1" ribbon of the salvage. i agree if you are going for a double layer, you should use 1.1. Ayce at thru insists that momentum90 weighs 1.05 +/- .02 but all three batches I recieved weigh 1.12. small difference but something to concider since you are paying a lot for a reletively small amount of weight savings. I know it is listed a breathable, but I wonder how breathable it is. it may not be breathable enough to stop condensation in a hammock. I think the feel of the non-shiney side wold be great but it wold mean that you have a shiney outside of a hammock (no biggie). I have 7 yards of purple that is waiting for me to make a quilt for my wife. Maybe I'll whip it and try it out. Worst comes to worst I can always get another wife, right.
    Yeah, wife's are a dime a dozen, LOL!

I am interested in the stretch and feel of a single layer of the Momentum. On a double layer the weight savings are negligable, but a single layer of 1.12 Momentum vs. a double layer (2.2 ripstop) is significant.

1.12 Momentum--6.2 oz ($54)
    Single layer 1.9 Ripstop--10.45 oz ($20)
    Double layer 1.1 Ripstop (2.2)--12.1 oz (~$40)
    (Assuming a hammock of 120"X60")
    (Prices are from websites assuming about $5-6/yd on the ripstop. Momentum price is from thru-hiker.com)

As you can see, the Momentum would be saving you about a 6 oz. at a penalty of only about $15-20!
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 07-26-2008 at 09:56.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

and then there's sil

I recently read an old post over at Backpackinglight where a guy mentioned that his hammock is a single layer of silnylon.

A single layer of silnylon holds my lightweight bridge up (that is, the suspension curve is cut into one layer of sil) and I'm about 190 lbs.

I wonder if the non-breathability of sil, or the low-breathability of mom-90 really matters that much in colder temps for those of us that wear insulating layers as part of the sleep system. No skin touching the hammock, significant fabric between body and sil.

I bet it would noisy though.

Another thing I like about the idea of a sil hammock is that you have built-in weather coverage on the bottom. Means you can do without an undercover, and perhaps get by with a smaller tarp.

Grizz

Images
    I use mom90 for my quilts and think other route. I'm not sure I would trust it for a lot of nights. When I sewn it if I would have to rip out a few stitches and resew them, the material complained a little. It seemed to rip and come apart enough to make me concerned enough to slow down and overlook a couple mistakes. It only seemed to happen when I sewed over the same place 3 times, usually a forward and back over a ripped seam. Love the material for a quilt, not so much for a hammock.

Cannibal has a spin tarp. Said it is working great for him at Taildays. Looked great and didn't stretch at all. It doesn't have the downfall of not being completly waterproof like sil. You can touch it and it won't wet through.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Has anyone made a hammock out of Momentum?

headchange4U: Any new thoughts of using Momentum as material for a hammock? You noted in a previous thread the material looks thicker & tighter, maybe stronger than 1.9 ripstop. Is it as breathable?
    I'd bet the farm that Momentum would make an excellent hammock, but the material is just to expensive for me to experiment with.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    probably would be alot like a single layer 1.1. it's probably strong enough, but probably would stretch more than 1.9 or double 1.1. the weight savings for m90 over single 1.1 would be tiny. it may have a better dwr than some of the 1.1 you can get though.

• + New Posts