Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flex 180

My prayers have been answered! This baby looks tall person certified.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Where does the netting and cover store if there is no storage area like in the other Clark hammocks?????

<snip>

I love the concept though, and will keep my eye on this.
    No storage place included in the UL, the only model missing it. Hardly a deal breaker when a stuff sack with a loop can so easily be sewn to the hood near the tail.

Anyway, not to rain on parades, but not all Clarks with storage for net or covers give unconditional access to that storage when the other one is deployed. Stuffing the netting blocks a zipper. Solution is to cut a seal-able slit as a port in the bottom layer of the hood and stuff from underneath.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, Claytor Jungle, ENO
    Tarp
    Vertex &amp; Super Fly
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Rings
    I will add some input & pictures or video as soon as it comes... my brother ordered one last week... looks like we have another hanger.

Hoping it will be perfect for him & his 8 year old son on our canoe trips.

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    Too many
    Suspension
    Too many
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin42 View Post
    The site says they do plan on making a zliner for it. However, I would recommend just getting standard underquilts. You can get a down UQ for pretty much the same price, that will take you down to lower temps, pack smaller, and be compatible with other hammocks.

Down UQs can also serve pretty well as topquilts if you ever end up tent camping, or need an extra blanket for someone on the couch.

If you want synthetic, you will have about the same packability as the zliner, but probably cheaper, and still get the compatibility with other hammocks.

The only advantage to the ZLiner is that you can leave it on the hammock when you pack it up. It will be interesting to see how they make the zliner for this, since it seems like the width can change significantly depending on configuration. The zliner uses velcro to hold it up, which I would think would lead to interesting tension issues.

I note that the flex is different in one way compared to all the other clarks - it does not have an integrated stuff sack for storage.
    Thanks for all the tips guys.

This site has been very useful. Been reading a lot and trying to decide on underquilt options. I really like the hammockgear quilts. JRB have also got some interesting quilts that can function as under and also top quilts.

My main concern is they might not fit in 2 person mode. The width of the underquilts are 44", and two people in the Flex-180 may take up more than that. Any ideas on this?

The Flex180 will probably arrive next week, but I may not be able to try it out so soon, as I may get stuck at work for an extra month

Can wait to just get out there and hang.
    From the trees we came, to the trees we shall return

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Dutch
    Could someone put up a couple more pictures of the flex?
    Would be great!
    yakass.net

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    Too many
    Suspension
    Too many
    Images
    After weeks and weeks of anticipation and waiting, I've finally come home to a DHL delivered Flex-180. The import duty in Malaysia cost 41% of what the hammock is worth, which was a bit of a pinch, but im nevertheless happy to receive it (just thinking its a couple of nights-out drinking money with the boys; makes me feel better ).

Other than my GTUL hammock which I've never used for overnight camping, I'm looking forward to taking this baby out tomorrow for a trip in the jungle. I couldn't resist checking it out right now anyways, so here are some pics of my findings so far:

Spread out on the floor, it looks like this:

There is a strap at the bottom of the picture; (removable) connecting the main rope to the flex rope, preventing the hammock from being pulled apart should it be hung incorrectly.

The flex-rope (slightly thinner) is on the left of the picture.

The WeatherSheild and mosquito netting open up as per below; not all the way. The larger main bed is to the right of the picture, hence, the zipper opening is on the side of the main bed.

The WeatherSheild and netting can be zippered together. There isn't a foot-end pocket for the WeatherSheild and netting.

They are simply flopped over to the unzippered side, and attached to the fiberglass pole-ends by 2 swiveling snap hooks onto sewn webbing tabs on the WeatherSheild (which I've not yet attached), to secure the WeatherSheild (and netting) from being blown around in the wind.

Notice also the wider black base area indicating the side of the larger bed.

The zippers and square ring.

The other square ring: for attaching small ropes to hold up netting when poles are not in use. A sewn webbing tab on the WeatherSheild (for one of the swivel snap hooks) can also be seen here.

Time for a test hang:

The wider (two-rope) end is fitted with 5 sections of fiberglass poles when the hammock is attached to 3 supports. It is fitted with 4 pole sections when the hammock is attached to only 2 supports (just like a conventional hammock).

The narrower (single-rope) end is fitted with 4 sections of fiberglass poles.

With the WeatherSheild and netting open, one can see the narrower bed.

The Vertex tarp is HUGE, and is extremely lighter than I had expected.

The underside of the hammock reveals the path of the Velcro for future Z-liner add-on.

It appears to be able to cover the single occupant's head to toe in flex-mode for diagonal sleeping. But it does not seem to cover the second person in 2-person mode?

The Hammock, suspension ropes and Vertex tarp all fit nicely in the stuff sack. The cap shown is for size estimation (and an optional extra ).
    The Poles just fit into the stuff sack, but only just. Probably better to store separately in order to not damage the stuff sack.

The Tree Straps are also optional. I believe they may come with 3 straps when ordered now, but mine only came with 2 when I opted for the treestraps for some reason? (could have been my mistake- cant remember)

The 2 swivel snap hooks are pictured next to 3 Drip-Rings. The Drip-Rings are neither listed along with the other contents in the Owner's Manual, nor did I order them. Perhaps Santa has come early or my tree-strap order got mixed up with an order for Drip-Rings?

Who knows, but anyway, I'm extremely stoked and very impressed with the quality of lightweight materials, and workmanship / build of this Clark Hammock.

Will post a report on my trip when I get back. Hope the info and pics help satisfy some of your curiosity!

Regards,

Russ
    Last edited by russwestwood; 06-12-2012 at 06:46. Reason: Transfered pictures onto hammockforums photo gallery

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ &amp; UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the photos! I've been wanting to get a better look at these.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, Claytor Jungle, ENO
    Tarp
    Vertex &amp; Super Fly
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Rings
    Great pictures & explanation above, here is a video from this morning it shows my brothers new Flex-180, but didn't go into detail with it.

http://youtu.be/sN9rZ5mzhrU

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    Too many
    Suspension
    Too many
    Images
    Nice video there Woods Walker.

Just a quick update, currently about to head back into the hammock for our night's sleep.

So far so good, and there are actually 4 treestraps! Haha.. I'm happy. It looked like only 2 but it was actually two pairs bundled together. Thanks Clark!

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    Too many
    Suspension
    Too many
    Images
    Some pics of our Sunday night setup.

Irina is quite petite, thus she was pretty comfortable in the smaller bed. She moved over to the wider bed while I was outside and found it much more comfortable though (hence the front looks lower than the rear in the photo).

The trees at the 2-rope end were a little closer than I had liked them to be, so we were a little pressed together at the shoulders. A spreader-bar idea had come to me in the night, and using one of our trekking poles to flex the hammock- worked very well.

Here are some of the weathershield swivel snap hooks and the other handy tabs and straps.

Overall I'm very happy with this hammock.
    Last edited by russwestwood; 06-15-2012 at 05:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast