Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock
    Tarp
    cheap
    Insulation
    I live in LA

Fishing Question (my first hang!)

I know this isn't a fishing forum, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'm going on an overnight hiking trip (and my first hang!) with a couple friends in south Louisiana, and were planning on doing a little fishing. I'm not bringing a lot of fishing gear with me (a few hooks and weights along with my compact rod and micro cast reel), and I don't feel like bringing live bait on a hike.

Does anyone know if those powerbait pellets or gulp worms work for bream and catfish? Anything else you'd recommend?

Any other suggestions for my first hang?!?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    You can have success with either, but it's never to hard to forage for panfish or minnow bait. With a small enough hook, the first time you catch something too small to eat, you have your cut bait for cats.

In general, whatever you find on the bank or nearby forest floor that looks like fish bait to you, the local fish will more than likely recognize it as well.

A few nymphs or small tied dry flies, on light tackle with a small bubble bobber, can be hard to beat on panfish, when anything close to a hatch is going on. Take a look and see what's falling into the water, and how the fish are reacting to it. You may end up slaying your buddies with that rig. I've seen it happen before!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Tarp
    cheap
    Insulation
    I live in LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    You can have success with either, but it's never to hard to forage for panfish or minnow bait. With a small enough hook, the first time you catch something too small to eat, you have your cut bait for cats.

In general, whatever you find on the bank or nearby forest floor that looks like fish bait to you, the local fish will more than likely recognize it as well.

A few nymphs or small tied dry flies, on light tackle with a small bubble bobber, can be hard to beat on panfish, when anything close to a hatch is going on. Take a look and see what's falling into the water, and how the fish are reacting to it. You may end up slaying your buddies with that rig. I've seen it happen before!
    Yeah, I'm no expert fisherman so thanks for the great advice! I'm checking into that

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie w/ toggles
    My go-to artificial bait for bream are beetlespins or roostertails. You could take worms in a small container if you wanted, there might be a problem with them getting a little too hot though.

I'm going camping next week and will be doing some fishing as well! Good luck!

Hammock
    Tarp
    cheap
    Insulation
    I live in LA
    Quote Originally Posted by bamaman08 View Post
    My go-to artificial bait for bream are beetlespins or roostertails. You could take worms in a small container if you wanted, there might be a problem with them getting a little too hot though.

I'm going camping next week and will be doing some fishing as well! Good luck!

I'm familiar with beetlespins, I'll probably pack a few just in case. Thanks brother, good luck to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by lgremi8 View Post
    I know this isn't a fishing forum, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'm going on an overnight hiking trip (and my first hang!) with a couple friends in south Louisiana, and were planning on doing a little fishing. I'm not bringing a lot of fishing gear with me (a few hooks and weights along with my compact rod and micro cast reel), and I don't feel like bringing live bait on a hike.

Does anyone know if those powerbait pellets or gulp worms work for bream and catfish? Anything else you'd recommend?

Any other suggestions for my first hang?!?
    Will you be close to fresh, brackish or saltwater? If you fish brackish water, you have a chance of redfish or some freshwater species. Saltwater can yield speckled trout as well as reds, and flounder. The brackish and saltwater species will require a little heavier tackle than will freshwater species, but with a little forethought, you should be able to put together a lightweight and compact outfit that will either handle what you hook or give you some good war stories.

Hammock
    Tarp
    cheap
    Insulation
    I live in LA
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Armadillo View Post
    Will you be close to fresh, brackish or saltwater? If you fish brackish water, you have a chance of redfish or some freshwater species. Saltwater can yield speckled trout as well as reds, and flounder. The brackish and saltwater species will require a little heavier tackle than will freshwater species, but with a little forethought, you should be able to put together a lightweight and compact outfit that will either handle what you hook or give you some good war stories.
    It'll be strictly freshwater for me

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Just last week I added a packable rod and reel to my kit. I'm going through the same thing--looking to catch some fish for the pot while I'm on the trail. I'd love to hear any other tips, too.

All freshwater for me.

My goal this year is to catch, clean and cook my own dinner! Big deal for a city boy like me who has barely managed to catch a fish. Truth is, I have been woefully unsuccessful the half-dozen times I've been out.
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Tarp
    cheap
    Insulation
    I live in LA
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob View Post
    Just last week I added a packable rod and reel to my kit. I'm going through the same thing--looking to catch some fish for the pot while I'm on the trail. I'd love to hear any other tips, too.

All freshwater for me.

My goal this year is to catch, clean and cook my own dinner! Big deal for a city boy like me who has barely managed to catch a fish. Truth is, I have been woefully unsuccessful the half-dozen times I've been out.
    Haha, I hear you brother! I guess if we try it enough we'll bound to succeed eventually!

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    If I had to catch fish to survive and could only use one thing, it would be 1 inch tube on a 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig. It is my best panfish rig, and it catches everything else as well. I like to throw it on 2 lb test Stren, but 4 lb works. It gets a little harder to throw it on 6 lb test, but if you're using an ultralight reel, you don't want to go that high anyway. The tube size that works best is almost always the 1 in., not 1.5 or 2. If i have a longer one, i will often pinch off the tails. Tubes work better than twist tails for me, but they are small enough to carry a variety. Color is usually chartreuse, but orange and silvery are also good, as is a more subtle pumpkin color. Oh, and the retrieve is simply a steady straight retrieve with no float or weight. Occasionally you may want to stop it and let it fall a little to see if that triggers a bite. Most of the time when you feel a bite, it's good to give it moment of slack, then set the hook. By then the fish (a panfish, at least) has inhaled it. Keep the drag set lightly on your reel. In general, keep your rod tip up a little to reduce the line loops on your reel. This provides a little tension on the line when you begin reeling, and when fighting the fish uses the flex of the rod as pressure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast