Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by petez View Post
    I got it as my wallpaper Great Picture! Hope nobody minds

Another thought I had was.... why is that tent there in a hangin' camp??

Inquiring minds need to know

Peter
    That's for gear storage.

About these stands and using them outside, the first time I used mine, it went over with just the hammock on it, looked like a sail boat taking off, or parasail. Bent the top hinge, so I went to Ace and found some thicker hinges. I also added tie downs. A long piece of amsteel with loops at both ends. Drive one anchor in the ground, hook the loop, up through the steel shackle I used to attach the top rail to the hinge, then down to the ground, pull it tight, and drive in the other anchor until the amsteel is tight, add the tarp and the extra Guy lines help hold it up. Using this, I have not had problems with it blowing over. I think I posted doing this in an earlier post....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    That's for gear storage.

About these stands and using them outside, the first time I used mine, it went over with just the hammock on it, looked like a sail boat taking off, or parasail. Bent the top hinge, so I went to Ace and found some thicker hinges. I also added tie downs. A long piece of amsteel with loops at both ends. Drive one anchor in the ground, hook the loop, up through the steel shackle I used to attach the top rail to the hinge, then down to the ground, pull it tight, and drive in the other anchor until the amsteel is tight, add the tarp and the extra Guy lines help hold it up. Using this, I have not had problems with it blowing over. I think I posted doing this in an earlier post....RR
    I don't remember this. Take a picture of it sometime RR. Good idea. Curios about how you did it and where the anchors are. So two anchors at each end?

I had kind of thought about one anchor per end straight down with a whoopie to snug it down.

Yeah the one time I left mine, hammock only, loose in the wind the whole stand took flight for a second or two!

And I pretty soon abandoned the decorative hinges OldDog and I started out using. They work fine but wouldn't hold up to much if the stand fell.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

A while ago I acquired 16 of those used military 4 foot aluminum poles that slide together, with a bag. I had planned to use them for a hammock stand, but my arms are getting weaker and weaker. Others have used these with great success. You get six for each stand and four for the bar across the top. Of course you can modify the length to suit yourself. They will make a great TD stand! I have made no modifications on them and now I would like to sell them for $75.00 including the bag. As you know shipping coasts are atrocious, so I would appreciate if someone who wants them could come and get them here in Rockport, MA, or maybe we could meet somewhere on the North Shore.
    Please PM if interested.
    Peter
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by petez View Post
    A while ago I acquired 16 of those used military 4 foot aluminum poles that slide together, with a bag. I had planned to use them for a hammock stand, but my arms are getting weaker and weaker. Others have used these with great success. You get six for each stand and four for the bar across the top. Of course you can modify the length to suit yourself. They will make a great TD stand! I have made no modifications on them and now I would like to sell them for $75.00 including the bag. As you know shipping coasts are atrocious, so I would appreciate if someone who wants them could come and get them here in Rockport, MA, or maybe we could meet somewhere on the North Shore.
    Please PM if interested.
    Peter
    Put those in the for sale area Petez. I'll bet someone will buy them. And USPS will send them pretty reasonably it you send them snail mail. (depending on how far away)

Thank you for the tip I just did that I think. Mostly I have been on here to learn stuff (great place to do that) and I got hooked on the TD stand idea, but thought that aluminum could be left outside, no worries about the weather.
    Sure hope someone can use them. It IS a great idea
    Had planned to use those snap thingies from Graingers but never got that far. Have been going to the doc for months trying to get a diagnosis for my weakness.
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I don't remember this. Take a picture of it sometime RR. Good idea. Curios about how you did it and where the anchors are. So two anchors at each end?

I had kind of thought about one anchor per end straight down with a whoopie to snug it down.

Yeah the one time I left mine, hammock only, loose in the wind the whole stand took flight for a second or two!

And I pretty soon abandoned the decorative hinges OldDog and I started out using. They work fine but wouldn't hold up to much if the stand fell.
    OK, you got me on that one. I thought I had posted, but I can't find it, sooo tomarrow I will set it up and get some pics to post. I was thinking about using just one tie down going straight down, but was worried about it pulling loose. With the two, I can angle the stake a little and give it a little side pull, rather than pulling straight up. The only post I can find in reference, I didn't have any pics. As for the whoopie, I thought about that one two, but with the way I did it, it would have used whole lot more amsteel. And a whoopie you can only pull so tight, and it doesn't want to let go. I guess you could just pull out the stake at that point......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Well, you know... If you have time.

It's educational!

I had thought about just staking the four side legs.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    When I had mine set up in the yard I was worried all day at work. The wind was just howling. When I got home the stand was still upright though. I guess all my gear was enough to weigh it down enough.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Well, you know... If you have time.

It's educational!

I had thought about just staking the four side legs.
    I thought about that too. Either drill holes, at an angle through the lower part of the leg and then run a stake through it, or add a piece of steel angle. Bolt it to the leg, so it looks like a "L",with a hole on the bottom to run a stake through. I didn't want to drill holes through the leg for stakes to run through and weaken them, and at the time, I didn't have any angle on hand. So I used the amsteel......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I just want to have the 1000th post
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 100 of 320 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast