Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/Whoopie
    Images
    It's the same as the 2nd pic - used 2 bolts, but the spacing on the top part of the hinge was close to the width of the leg, so used the lower 2 holes. Thought that might be the cause too, but I think the pole was just too long.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peartree View Post
    That got me to thinking about just using 4 bolt/washer/wing nut combos to hold the 3 legs together on top, vs using the hinge at all. Use two bolts on the top of the "A leg", with the bottom bolt low enough to expose an inch or so of length, just like the horizontal line on an "A", enough to attach a biner or soft shackle, etc... to attach to the pole. With the "A leg" bolts tight, you can use a couple bolt/washer/wing nut to attach the "Opposing" leg.

The trimmings from the legs to make them angle together on top can be wood screwed onto the legs on their respective opposing sides, again making the surface of the wood square so the bolts are seated flush vs at an angle on the wood.

With wingnuts, quick setup and take down is achieved, along with a rigid tripod when setup, making it easy to move around. I found I like that better by chance, having used wood screws to correct my hinge issue, but this stand isn't portable without removing the screws. Hassle w/o power tools.

So, soon I'll try that. Probably wear a helmet when I test it.
    I thought about something similar, but I'd leave the hinge and above it just use a gate hook and screw eye on the side poles, and a carriage bolt/wingnut on the rear leg through the front. I want it to break down/set up easily without tools, but I can't stand the tendency for the stand to "walk" and collapse during setup. Haven't picked up the hardware yet, but I'll post a photo when it's done.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    I thought about something similar, but I'd leave the hinge and above it just use a gate hook and screw eye on the side poles, and a carriage bolt/wingnut on the rear leg through the front. I want it to break down/set up easily without tools, but I can't stand the tendency for the stand to "walk" and collapse during setup. Haven't picked up the hardware yet, but I'll post a photo when it's done.
    Thats a really good idea Scott!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    I see two in the second pic. The third pic seems to not have the second bolt in view. I see the first couple of inches from the hinge pulled away from the back support like mine did. When I lined the back support up and bolted it on the entire length of the vertical hinge side was flat against the back post but when I applied weight it pulled away and bent slightly. Is this something that happens to most stands?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peartree View Post
    It's the same as the 2nd pic - used 2 bolts, but the spacing on the top part of the hinge was close to the width of the leg, so used the lower 2 holes. Thought that might be the cause too, but I think the pole was just too long.
    As my son would say "My bad". When I looked at the pics, the last one caught my eye, when I saw the hinge bent. I didn't go back and look at the other pic, because I could see the open hole. Do you have a drill/drill bits, and maybe drill a hole closer to the top, and centered on the leg?

I'll have to look at mine and see where my bolts are......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Took another look at mine, and got a few pics. I cut the center leg (the one that goes on the longer part of the hinge) shorter than the other legs so it lays flatter when transporting. I wonder if my hinge is just a little heavier duty that what your using? I have used this stand for about 10 nights, and several times just set up to check hammocks/tarp set-ups, and my hinge isn't showing the slightest bit of bending. After looking at your pics again, and then looking at my stand, when I first built this, I had a thinner hinge, and I think it started to bend like your pic shows. The wind caught my stand/hammock and knocked it down, bending the hinge, so I upgrades to the heavy duty hinge......RR
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I looked back at the pics, and wonder if by using the angles at the top of the stand to control leg spread also puts extra stress on your hinge? I have zing-it to keep mine from spreading too far.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Took another look at mine, and got a few pics. I cut the center leg (the one that goes on the longer part of the hinge) shorter than the other legs so it lays flatter when transporting. I wonder if my hinge is just a little heavier duty that what your using? I have used this stand for about 10 nights, and several times just set up to check hammocks/tarp set-ups, and my hinge isn't showing the slightest bit of bending. After looking at your pics again, and then looking at my stand, when I first built this, I had a thinner hinge, and I think it started to bend like your pic shows. The wind caught my stand/hammock and knocked it down, bending the hinge, so I upgrades to the heavy duty hinge......RR
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I looked back at the pics, and wonder if by using the angles at the top of the stand to control leg spread also puts extra stress on your hinge? I have zing-it to keep mine from spreading too far.
    I like the way yours folds up nice and flat. We need to do a turtledog stand hang so we can all compare techniques.
    Last edited by HamMike; 02-23-2013 at 11:07.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    ...I looked back at the pics, and wonder if by using the angles at the top of the stand to control leg spread also puts extra stress on your hinge?...
    It certainly can. The long legs provide a lot of leverage against those short top sections. (I've been waiting since the start of this design to read about someones misfortune when the legs split out at the bolt holes.)

Your style with the tops cut off does away with this leverage and potential problems.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    It certainly can. The long legs provide a lot of leverage against those short top sections. (I've been waiting since the start of this design to read about someones misfortune when the legs split out at the bolt holes.)

Your style with the tops cut off does away with this leverage and potential problems.
    I agree. The angles definitely put stress on the hinges. I don't have an answer for that except to say it depends on the hanger, (weight,) and ground/slippage as to whether this is an issue for anyone in particular.

At 180# and with rubber feet on mine, it's been a non issue on hardwood floors, for what, almost a year and a half now with my original stand that has pretty flimsy hinges on it, but you bigger boys might should do the spread limiter line around the base or something extra, kind of belt and suspenders thing.

And wear a helmet.

*** I'm going to also point out that although I have no engineering skills, I'm a very competent carpenter and can see failure points and understand stresses pretty well. If you're not comfortable in your carpentry skills, get some help with this. Most of it seems like common sense to me, but it might not all be...

Disclaimer mode off...

hfg
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 02-24-2013 at 09:25.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook

Re: The TurtleDog stand

Finally got the necessary tools (borrowed a table saw) to get the 15* cut for the top of my posts. I'll be building and testing today, pix to follow
    Hammock Gear List: https://lighterpack.com/r/cwjf0g

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/Whoopie
    Images
    Picked up longer bolts and wingnuts and will hopefully do the mods tonight. I initially went with the angles on top to avoid the spread limiters, but that certainly does seem the safest route regardless of how the legs are fastened on top - bolts or hinge... Than they really can't go anywhere. Like touching something you know is hot, I'm going to first test the bolts alone. I can't help it.

Roadrunnr72 - your hinge does look to be stouter, but I do think it was the poles pushing against the opposing leg and forcing the hinge to give/bend to accommodate. I never thought of drilling another hole. That's why 1 side of my forehead is indented - multiple palm slaps... Probably should wear a helmet all the time...

After shortening the excess pole so it doesn't touch the opposing leg and making sure to move the stand so the soft shackle hangs straight down to the pole, the stand seems very solid.

I've got it set up in my bedroom on a short pile carpet with old thin paperback books under the legs to prevent carpet marks. When I get in the leg ends will flex outwards perhaps 1/2 inch or so and the books go with them, so they look like an empty Reeses peanut butter cup as they take the weight. No problems. There was no problem on the concrete in the garage either. I bounced around a bit to test - very scientific. My test kid weighs about 60 lbs less than me so I thought he'd be alright. He slept in it 4 nights. No problem.

hppyfngy - I'm not an engineer either, but logic tells me using 2 bolts on the top would spread the stress further, reducing the possibility of structure failure. We'll see. I'll let you know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 115 of 320 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast