WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    And, if you build a Alamosa Stand, I have at least 200' of amsteel, 6 - 3/4 x 12" threaded pipes drilled, 6-12" aluminum nails. 4-6' 3/4 emt pipes,,,.about 150.00 bucks or more in 2 stands so the tripod stands are way cheaper to build (unless you go the Army Surplus route) and way more versatile and easier to use, in my opinion.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Thank you Gentlemen

Thank you gentlemen, that is very helpful.

I am new to this forum as well as hammocks. Yes, one of my ideas was to use a different ridge pole, preferrably lighter and something infintely adjustable. But from Hppyfngy's and Gmcttr's informative posts, I can see that it may not be doable, in terms of resisting force. And there is certainly an advantge to over building, especially if used on uneven ground.

Since the angle is quite important in determining loading, what would you gentlemen say is the approximate angle of a well hung hammock? I beleive I have heard about 30 degrees in my short purusal of these forums and other places?

I note that 30 degrees is both the lowest and the last line in your table, Hppyfngy. Is that because theat table only goes that far or that is the largest angle doable in practice?

One reason I was pondering not using swaged fence rails is that my limited experience with that type of connector is they have a tendency to jam. Not having worked with fence rails, ie dissassembling, I wondered aboout that. Has everyone found them easy enough to slide apart when breaking the stand down?

I may simply use fence rails, for the very good reasons stated. But I still may seperate the ridge pole and the hammock. I need to think about this some more.

And thanks for the welcome!

Cheers!

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Hey Greg,
    It's the consensus of most that 30* is optimal for hanging, give or take 5* or so. This is for comfort as well as being a good compromise on the stresses the lines take.

As to the swaged ends, I've built several of these now with two and three sections of top rail and have not had one jam up on me yet. I've been using one almost daily for well over a year and it's as easy to take apart as ever. Pressure is applied gradually as you load the hammock. I think you'd have to take a hammer to it to really get it jammed.

Let us know how your experimenting goes! Pics and video of your tests are a definite bonus!

Wear your football helmet.

hfg
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Thanks, I will let everyone know what I come up with.

Cheers!

Images

TD Stand/Toprail flex

Thanks to all the info on these pages I finally banged together a TD stand.
    I needed a 2 piece14ft top rail, and with hammock attached directly outboard of the toprail hang points I have quite a bit of downward flex. It held my 200# through the night, but I'm wondering if this is normal?I put a wide ranger-band at the connection to help prevent slippage and added some paracord (orange in the pict) from eyebolt to eyebolt and there was no noticeable slippage through the night.
    I apologize if this has been explained before...I've read this thread up to the 90s though I confess I may have skimmed a few spots
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Originally Posted by olddog
    The question was posed by old4hats about the number of turtledog stands that had been built. Went back and reviewed a few threads, the Turtlelady stand, the TurtleDog stand and a thread by domromer. Here is what I was able to find and assume that there may be others.

Page #1. Ends at post #723
    Page #2
    #101 - turtleburger
    #102 - JakobW
    #103 - berksound
    #104 - HangDenAround
    #105 - civetta62
    #106 - LEAGLE
    #107 - joeybravo13
    #108 - JohnSawyer
    #109 - JaxHiker
    #110 - delphyves, the first from France!
    #111 & 112 - Rightside
    #113 - tato
    #114 - Randy
    #115 - Mag
    #116 - Aardvark
    #117 - Brute1100
    #118 - ptsal
    #119 - Bankheadboy
    #120 - old4hats' second
    #121 - UncleClark
    #122 & 123 - hppyfngy, the Master TD maker!
    #124 - Humpback
    #125 - jima59
    #126 - 100MileBill
    #127 - WV
    #128 - rcracin24
    #129 - NWOHanger
    #130 - doogie
    #131 - WhiteHillReptile
    #132 - catalyst
    #133 - Lupus
    #134 - bowl-maker
    #135 - ewhammock
    #136 - Privateer
    #137 - Settle
    #138 - obmit
    #139 - Jazilla
    #140 - kk4df
    #141 - gothmog
    #142 - Pj1008
    #143 - the2nddeal
    #144 - samjaynes
    #145 - HamMike
    #146 - Veto 65
    #147 - bonsaihiker
    #148 - Peartree
    #149 - hawghanger, for daughter
    #150 - oldfatguy
    #151 - raleighbuckner
    #152 - Corpus

Can't really tell from the photo Corpus and no experience with a 14' ridgepole. But normally if the hammock suspension is outboard and at a distance from the ridgepole suspension the RP will bow upwards and vice versa. What I can see you have a good looking stand there.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Originally Posted by olddog

Can't really tell from the photo Corpus and no experience with a 14' ridgepole. But normally if the hammock suspension is outboard and at a distance from the ridgepole suspension the RP will bow upwards and vice versa. What I can see you have a good looking stand there.

Thanks for the reply, I expected it to bow upward as well, but I can only guess that at this length the compression forces combined with the play in the swaged fitting allowed gravity to start the bow downwards and loading my weight in it increased the compression and bow.
    Next time I will try pressing upward at the joint a bit as I load the hammock and see if the bow forms upwards.

BTW: I am using regular 1 and 3/8s fence rail.

Edit: the hammock suspension is outboard of the ridgepole suspension, but not at a distance...it is directly against the eyebolt.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK...add Owl to the list of TD stand owners/builders.

Got mine done this past weekend. One change I am going to make is to apply some kind of padding/cushioning to the eyebolt/center beam area to avoid any kind of stress to the hammock suspension as it is loaded and held across that area.

Haven't hung in mine yet, won't until I get that padding done up. Also...did make everything 7' long to allow for the length of my HHED plus the minimum length requirement of my whoopies.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
    Thanks to all the info on these pages I finally banged together a TD stand.
    I needed a 2 piece14ft top rail, and with hammock attached directly outboard of the toprail hang points I have quite a bit of downward flex. It held my 200# through the night, but I'm wondering if this is normal?I put a wide ranger-band at the connection to help prevent slippage and added some paracord (orange in the pict) from eyebolt to eyebolt and there was no noticeable slippage through the night.
    I apologize if this has been explained before...I've read this thread up to the 90s though I confess I may have skimmed a few spots
    I can't tell. What is the top rail made of?

I see you answered that later...

Does it have that sag without the hammock or tarp? Does it stay that way when you get in it? Get worse or better?

My longer ridge poles do flex downward a bit when not loaded but when I get in them they tend to straighten out. My weight sort of "counters" the weight of the pole and of course compresses them too a little.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm seeing in your picture. Your tarp is pulling the ridge pole down some. All that being said it doesn't look like it's coming apart or anything. It can't really come apart as your weight is applying compression to the ridge pole.

I'd say success.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I can't tell. What is the top rail made of?

I see you answered that later...

Does it have that sag without the hammock or tarp? Does it stay that way when you get in it? Get worse or better?

My longer ridge poles do flex downward a bit when not loaded but when I get in them they tend to straighten out. My weight sort of "counters" the weight of the pole and of course compresses them too a little.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm seeing in your picture. Your tarp is pulling the ridge pole down some. All that being said it doesn't look like it's coming apart or anything. It can't really come apart as your weight is applying compression to the ridge pole.

I'd say success.

There was a little sag with just the pole, no change with just the hammock, but when I (sloooowly) added my weight it started bowing downwards quite a bit although it did hold me. At that point I added the orange line stretched from eyebolt to eyebolt in an attempt to keep it from separating. I can see how the compression forces should keep the 2 halves together but I just wanted some insurance. Now I'm starting to think that adding that tensioned line eye to eye on top of the pole may have kept whatever bend was there even when unloaded.
    As you say success because it did hold me through the night, I plan another hang Wed and thru the weekend...hopefully all will go well.

Thanks for the input.

• + New Posts
  • Page 122 of 320 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222 ... LastLast