Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I also had a failure in my TD stand this past weekend during my class at Backwoods...but it's entirely due to slippery floors and faulty design on my part.

I think that I left the paracord "limiter" rope attached at the bottom of the legs too long, and I just ran it through the legs without any kind of stops on the cord itself other than a single knot tying the ends together.

When I was in the hammock, I was adjusting my position when the legs slid out from underneath one side, dropping me to the ground. I think that since there was nothing from letting the legs themselves slide a bit, it deformed the triangle to the point where the whole thing moved.

Luckily I followed the golden rule...and didn't hang all that high. No damage to me or anything else, and I caught the ridgepole above my head before I hit the ground (don't ask me how, I don't know...LOL!).

So I'm going to change the way the limiting rope at the bottom works a bit, and see if I can find something to use as rubber feet to minimize sliding on tiles.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Rubber stoppers/feet for chairs. You can get them at Walmart or big box store where there is a larger selection and sizes.
    You may have to adjust the shape of the legs a little if you cannot find a large enough size.

Good luck and happy hanging.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Ooh. Close call Owl.
    Rubber feet for sure. Hardware store or big box or Amazon.

1-1/2" knock off the corners and bang 'em on with a mallet.

I actually microwaved these a little to make them more cooperative. Not long! Only about 15 seconds IIRC. They will melt...

And for many situations, rubber feet and limiter. Belt and suspenders, so to speak.
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 04-30-2013 at 14:43.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Like others have said, you want the hammock attachment point as close as possible to the ridgepole to tripod connection. As for the distance that your hammock is from the ground, the longer the ridgepole, the longer the legs will need to be. Mine was build with using a tarp as a must. For me, a 10' ridgepole wouldn't work with my tarps. My ridgepole is somewhere around 13' to 14'. I used full length 8' 2X2s, hung my hammock, then figured how much I needed to lower the hammock, and cut the legs to get the right hang height. I have not hady any problems with the pole bowing. And used it this past weekend on an OA camp out.......RR

Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' J View Post
    Complete failure...... I am the scoutmaster for our local BSA Troop and I attended our Spring Camporee this weekend. My plan was to use my newly constructed Stand and enjoy my hammock because I vowed to never sleep in a tent again. So heres what happened please evaluate and help me fix this. I constructed it just like the majority in this thread. The top rail is 1 3\8" chainlink fence top rail. One cut at 7' 3" (including the factory compressed connection point) and then one cut to 7'. So when assembled it is 14'. I used the endcaps with the loop formed into it and attached my whoopie slings to that. Hung the hammock and slowly crawled in. The pole started to bow up at the connection and then completely failed with me ending up on the ground.....

What do you suggest I do to remedy this problem, I want to hang without trees...

Thanks

BTW I ended up sleeping in my 2 man tent and my back is really PI$$ED at me today.....
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Would one of these stands work on a bridge hammock? Im thinking you would have to do some acrobatics to get in.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    Would one of these stands work on a bridge hammock? Im thinking you would have to do some acrobatics to get in.
    Yes. The good thing about the stand is you can make the Ridge Pole any length to accomidate any 2 point connection hammock.
    Just make sure the legs are long enough to keep the hammock off the ground and the bridge can be connected just like a gathered end....
    ...attach in line with the hinge/shackle/eyebolt for even distribution of forces on the pole.

Happy hanging.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Yes. The good thing about the stand is you can make the Ridge Pole any length to accomidate any 2 point connection hammock.
    Just make sure the legs are long enough to keep the hammock off the ground and the bridge can be connected just like a gathered end....
    ...attach in line with the hinge/shackle/eyebolt for even distribution of forces on the pole.

Happy hanging.
    ^^^What he said

I spent a couple of weeks sleeping in my WBRR in the house using my big TD 2.0 and it worked great.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    ^^^What he said

I spent a couple of weeks sleeping in my WBRR in the house using my big TD 2.0 and it worked great.

Dave
    What length ridge pole worked for the RR, Dave? I'll have to try that...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    What length ridge pole worked for the RR, Dave? I'll have to try that...
    I haven't measured it but it's in the 14 foot neighborhood. If I remember correct (it's been a while) I did have a little bit of trouble keeping my foot end high enough above the head end but after futzing with it I got it close enough... but I did end up a bit towards the foot end in the morning (but not bad).

I slept in it for 2-3 weeks straight to try to get used to sleeping in the RR (it worked!) but I really missed sleeping in my much more comfy tablecloth brazilian

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Another One

With an event coming in a month where hanging in the trees is in doubt, I decided I needed a set of these.

I chose to start with 7 ft 2x2s and the hinge mount and using the hppyfngy angle method at the top. I'm not fond of having metal overhead so I bought 4 of the surplus fiberglass poles ($4 ea). I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with the hex tarp. I cut one of the fiberglass pole down to fit the tarp.
    So the stats are:
    Ridge Pole = 13' 1"
    Stand Height = 81"
    Height of hole in hinge for S-Hook mount = 6'

I reinforced the ends of the poles with dowel inserts - had to add some PVC on the big end to fill it up. The ball-and-loop bungies provide just enough tension for the tarp and also ensure the pole sections will stay together.

The attached pics show the two ends, a view of the setup with my hammock and tarp attached and a view of the setup loaded with my 220 lb heiny in the hammock. Note: there is no creaking, cracking or other sound when I get in. The fiberglass poles seem to bear the load just fine.
    You may note that spread limiters are installed but not tightened - I may decide to saw the tops of the 2x2s off to allow a little more spread. I have also decided to guy the stands on each side for stability.

I have only read about half of the volumes you guys have written on these stands so please chime in with comments to help me make them better.

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 130 of 320 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230 ... LastLast