Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 45mb42t3 View Post
    MY set up is just like the pic in post 1777 above, except I am using straps not rope to hang from. That's why I don't understand bow.
    If your straps are up against the eyebolts like in the photo, there shouldn't be any significant bowing. It may bow up a couple of inches from rest, but that should be all.

Photos would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post

Great two nights worth of sleep...
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Have you got a TV or a heated blanket in there with you? Just wondering what the extension cord is for.

Ha, that's the first thing I thought when I saw that picture.
    maybe it's a laptop.
    which can conveniently be used as a TV or heated blanket.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...1135medium.jpg

I use a system similar to the picture above:
    Hinge – shackle – S-hook, 9” length of 3/16”chain – S-hook to eye bolt on ridgepole.
    Lets me adjust for correct height of hammock along with angle. I just move up or down the chain to get the correct combination. Can also hang the foot end higher using the chain.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

I have a question on the weight-carrying capability of these stands. I built a standard system (my photos are on thread page 176 or 177), leaving the 2x's at their full 8 foot length. I have a 10.5' top rail.

I know my hardware is up to the task, but not sure about the system as a whole! I'm fine in it by myself, but we're toying around with my wife and I in a doublehang (bunkbed-style, 2 hammocks). We got in it that way and it seemed fine, but not sure if I'm pushing my luck.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xtemplarx View Post
    I have a question on the weight-carrying capability of these stands. I built a standard system (my photos are on thread page 176 or 177), leaving the 2x's at their full 8 foot length. I have a 10.5' top rail.

I know my hardware is up to the task, but not sure about the system as a whole! I'm fine in it by myself, but we're toying around with my wife and I in a doublehang (bunkbed-style, 2 hammocks). We got in it that way and it seemed fine, but not sure if I'm pushing my luck.

Thoughts?
    All I can say is my brother, who runs well over 320lb and probably close to 350lb, sleeps using my HH and my TD Stand every time he comes to visit which is about once a month and he stays 3 nights (LD truck driver so he has no home of his own). He has done that ever since I got mine which is over 6 months now. All I have to do is remind him to tighten the bolts and he is good.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I've had my granddaughter in the hammock with me, may be a total of 275#, with no problems. This is a different twist and probably questionable though interesting. Would love to see some pictures of the setup. As far as I know there have been no test to maximum loading but I believe that you should at least go with 2x4s for the legs. If it does fail and no one gets hurt it should make for some good laughs.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images

Thoughts?
    I have seen my brother in law and his son sitting (uncomfortably...) in one at the same time. They must total #475.
    I think the stand can handle it, but that's a whole different set of risk factors.

I also note that your lumber isn't quite as "clear" as I'd prefer to see. Don't know how prominent the knots are, but if one goes, you may not get a lot of warning. (I also don't see "spread limiters" on your tripods. I'd seriously think about that.)

Depending on what you need it for, I think I'd consider building a heavier duty model, like with 2x3" lumber, or making a third tripod and hanging "heads together," on two different rails.

Whatever you do, if you get a bunk bed hang to work, take pictures!

And if you try it, please let her have the top bunk... Seriously, would you rather catch her or land on her? You decide...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I also note that your lumber isn't quite as "clear" as I'd prefer to see. Don't know how prominent the knots are, but if one goes, you may not get a lot of warning. (I also don't see "spread limiters" on your tripods. I'd seriously think about that.)

Depending on what you need it for, I think I'd consider building a heavier duty model, like with 2x3" lumber, or making a third tripod and hanging "heads together," on two different rails.

Whatever you do, if you get a bunk bed hang to work, take pictures!

And if you try it, please let her have the top bunk... Seriously, would you rather catch her or land on her? You decide...
    Sadly, those boards were as clear as I could find in the massive stack. I did end up adding the spread limiting paracord after these shots were taken. They limit the spread between feet to five feet (remembering that the 2x's are their full 8 feet, I didn't think that too excessive). I wouldn't have felt too horribly safe without'em. Dry, flat yard is one thing. A little bit of rain and voila, nothing's as stable as you once thought!

As for who gets the top bunk, that's always her. She's 5'1" tall, so getting her up there is humorous every time.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Sadly, those boards were as clear as I could find in the massive stack.
    This is why I try to steer folks toward a real lumberyard and not Lowes or Home Depot.

I go to my local lumberyard and ask for "clear or better" 2x2's and I don't even have to look through the pile. Every one is perfect. I think they are less than a buck more per.

Pictures!!!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: The TurtleDog stand

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Have you got a TV or a heated blanket in there with you? Just wondering what the extension cord is for.
    Actually it was to charge my phone... I was watching Netflix while chilling... What I ended up doing was wrapping it up from the left side of the picture around the ridge pole, and then connected my charger and voila I was in business...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 179 of 320 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229279 ... LastLast