Page 17 of 320 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by CptAhmadKnackwurst View Post
    Just a quick question: My ranger only has the six foot bed and I want to make sure that I can fit it in lengthwise.
    Unless you have a reason you can not put the poles in on a diagonal say from the front driver side to the rear passenger side, that would gain you a bit more length. Pickups always seem to hold more than you think they can. Hope this helps.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Images
    Well I slapped together a stand tonight. Worked pretty well. Used hppyfnguy mod, with no limiter string. Used a full chain link fence rail for the test, but I'll be piecing two together. I need to measure my tarp ridgeline before cutting.

Didnt have any carabiners so I used a "nacrabiner" and a loop of spectra to attach to the hinge. Worked well, but was a tad long (pipe needs to be a bit higher)

Anyway, thanks for all the r&d work guys and gal.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    I was in Home Depot today and saw 2x3's that cost less than the untreated 2x2's AND they were much straighter and in better condition. I don't know if this was just a one time deal but they might not add too much more weight, should fit fine into this stand, and might add a bit more strength for those wanting a bit more oomph in their stand.

Dave
    I used the HD 2x3's for the stand that I made earlier in the year. The initial intent was to use it inside but it's now migrated to the deck after three coats of deck sealer. I still want to add rubber tips to the legs to help with water penetration, but for the cost and strength, I'll gladly replace them with 2x3's again if the deck seal doesn't keep the water out
    Last edited by meanmoe; 06-11-2012 at 08:30. Reason: Finished my sentence.

Ranger bed

Quote Originally Posted by CptAhmadKnackwurst View Post
    This is going to be my first DIY project from this wonderful website - Just a quick question: My ranger only has the six foot bed and I want to make sure that I can fit it in lengthwise.

Do you guys think a 12 foot top-rail will be long enough to hang my singlnest from?
    You would have a bit of waste on the top rail, but by getting another rail you can end up with a three piece top rail that will easily fit in your truck, even your car trunk.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Would it completely ruin the structural integrity of the legs if you cut each in half and installed a hinge so the leg could fold, with some kind of bolt that slips into a channel on the other side to keep them straight? This would effectively cut the length in half for storage and transport.

If it was a good hinge with strong mounting bolts, placed on the outside so it held the majority of the force, conceptually it should work. This would sure make transporting without a pickup truck a little easier!

So, one side has a hinge...

The other has something like this...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dixoncreations View Post
    Would it completely ruin the structural integrity of the legs if you cut each in half and installed a hinge so the leg could fold, with some kind of bolt that slips into a channel on the other side to keep them straight? This would effectively cut the length in half for storage and transport.

If it was a good hinge with strong mounting bolts, placed on the outside so it held the majority of the force, conceptually it should work. This would sure make transporting without a pickup truck a little easier!

So, one side has a hinge...
    This has been discussed before. I don't remember if it was this thread or the turtlelady stand thread. I don't know that anyone has tried it yet but if you do please report back. I would think that you would want the hinge on the inside of the tripod so that the forces acting on the legs are trying to close the hinge. I would get a stout hinge and put some padding under yourself.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    The other has something like this...
    Right, like samsara said it's been discussed a little but nobody has pulled it off to my knowledge. It would work but I'm not so sure how stable it would be.

I would go for a really stout hinge and maybe bolt through the 2x. I had looked for some sort of locking hasp before, you know one that tightens? Or maybe even a sash lock or something. Ideally you want the butt ends of the boards to be very tight or there will be play.

Take before and after pictures!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Right, like samsara said it's been discussed a little but nobody has pulled it off to my knowledge. It would work but I'm not so sure how stable it would be.

I would go for a really stout hinge and maybe bolt through the 2x. I had looked for some sort of locking hasp before, you know one that tightens? Or maybe even a sash lock or something. Ideally you want the butt ends of the boards to be very tight or there will be play.

Take before and after pictures!
    Didn't know it had been discussed, sorry!

Rather than or in addition to a hinge, maybe two of these per connection?

That should clamp it down to keep it tight.

Not sure I'm the right guy to test this LOL, I'm a big boy.

Any other alternative ways of shortening the stands other than this that anyone has thought of?

My Manfrotto 055XPROB Camera Tripod would be perfect, but it's only rated for 18lbs.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    No worries. We'll talk about it until somebody does it.

Yes, something like that might work. I think I'd rather have a hinge on the inside and these on the outside. OTOH, if you had these on both sides you could attach them via thru bolts, lining up both latches like a sandwich.

Either way I think if I were to trust a latch like that, it would have to lock in some way.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

That should clamp it down to keep it tight.

Not sure I'm the right guy to test this LOL, I'm a big boy.

Any other alternative ways of shortening the stands other than this that anyone has thought of?

My Manfrotto 055XPROB Camera Tripod would be perfect, but it's only rated for 18lbs.
    I think that trunk latch will pull apart very quickly. It has very little strength. You would be better off looking for square tubing to use as sleeves for joining leg sections. They will need to be a snug fit.

I ordered a set of these in aluminum to try today. The shipping costs are terrible! I've been thinking about them for a while and will probably just lash them together turtlelady style.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 06-11-2012 at 17:56.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 320 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast