WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    TDS in progress... Pics coming!

I had Home Depot cut down two 10.5ft fence rails to 6.5ft each for my WBBB. I joined them with a 24" x 1" iron pipe with 2 sheet metal screws on each side. Not easily disassembled now, but I can add wingscrews/wingnuts later.

Rail is hung with two 7/32' Amsteel loops - made'em myself thanks to excellent videos here! I have pole-end loop-caps to hang my hammock on lock-links, but will add backup loops in case of cap failure.

Tripods have 1/16th" steel cable to restrict spread to 5ft between 7ft pole legs. That should hold!

Just got the digicamo Superfly on - I hung it over the rail and tied to pole-end loop-caps with taught-line hitches on Lash-It Dyneema cord. Just about 10" from pole ends, so the 13ft rial works fine.

Then the 35F cold rains swept down. So I ducked inside and will finish tomorrow - hey, I'm not toughing it out in my backyard!

Some single-digits nights coming all this week in SoNH! Waiting for 0F TQ/UQ from UGQ (I'm listed Ready to Fill, so soon!) So I'll try several pads under and two bags over for now ... a -20F Wiggy's synthetic bag (good to 10-15F for me) inside a 20F EMS Mountainlight down bag.

That Wiggy's bag is 25yr old and looks the same as the day I bought it. They are heavy, but last forever. I also have one of his bags with an integral pad on the bottom - great sledge bag. Years before his time...

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Thank goodness you posted - I was getting TD stand withdrawals.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

bevel ends

Quote Originally Posted by dvitous View Post
    success!

Just completed my tds. I successfully ripped some 2x4's that have been laying around waiting for a good use.

Ripping? Good. Cutting the bevel ends? Not so much. My 2nd stand came out worse than the first. Not bad for a first try though... And as i have more wood, will cost me nothing to re-do.

I used treeslayer's ridge pole design ( https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...968#post472968 ) - 2 - 3/4 x5' conduit with a 1/2x5' inner sleeve connector. Like treeslayer, i wrapped the ends in gorilla tape to snug it up. And also a wrap in the center.

Suspension is pretty much all amsteel parts (homemade!)- pole hanging from 12" continuous loops, and the hammock is on hanging on caribiners clipped into soft shackles looped over the pole ends.

I've got time before i need to make it weather ready... But this is a good first step!

bevel ends..... You don't need them.

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet
    Tarp
    TW comelius 3x3 mt
    Insulation
    Pad..it's hot here
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

TD question

Hi I'm new to hanging and the sight....
    Bout hammocks for the boy and I for winter scout camp..I will never go back to the ground....
    we are in Nigeria (BSA troop 803) and our next camp out won't have many trees That's why I need a set of TD stands.

But I don't have a lowes or Home Depot and chain link is all made from steel pipe.
    I have been reading the pages for 2 days now and have only gotten to 60 something out of 192+.

So
    1. Has anyone built one of these using square tubing to make it more portable?
    2. Has anyone used sections of wood 2x2 and square tubing sleeves for the ridge pole?
    3. Matching the 2x2 with the ID of tubbing wont be an issue for me as all wood is custom milled mahogony here.
    4. Any Suggestions on the length of each aluminum tubbing sleeve- I was thinking 12 inches so that I have 6 inches of each section of leg sleeved??

I was looking at a bipod setup commercially available where they do this for the legs(using a "custom" wedge cut for the wood joint inside the tube.

I would be greatfull if someone can point me to a post of anyone who has tried this....I intend to read all 190+ pages but I wanted to start construction sooner then 2015

Great work to all of you...I'm now sure I can stay off the ground no matter
    where we camp.

Best Regards,
    Captain Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Welcome to HF.

Your plan sounds more solid than some of what I've seen built. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I do suggest making the fit between wood and tubing as close as possible to keep it all in line.

Hammock
    DIY/Blackbird XLC (soon)
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    HammockGear/Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi everyone, i'm hoping to get my first hammock in the next few weeks and plan to use it indoors instead of a bed. my bedroom isn't huge so i was wondering how long the entire set up is end to end for you guys? i'm planning to use a 10' ridgepole if everything works out since that should be plenty long enough for me. i just don't know how much farther out the tripods go or how far apart the legs are usually. any info would be really helpful!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDoug View Post
    Hi I'm new to hanging and the sight....
    Bout hammocks for the boy and I for winter scout camp..I will never go back to the ground....
    we are in Nigeria (BSA troop 803) and our next camp out won't have many trees That's why I need a set of TD stands.

But I don't have a lowes or Home Depot and chain link is all made from steel pipe.
    I have been reading the pages for 2 days now and have only gotten to 60 something out of 192+.

So
    1. Has anyone built one of these using square tubing to make it more portable?
    2. Has anyone used sections of wood 2x2 and square tubing sleeves for the ridge pole?
    3. Matching the 2x2 with the ID of tubbing wont be an issue for me as all wood is custom milled mahogony here.
    4. Any Suggestions on the length of each aluminum tubbing sleeve- I was thinking 12 inches so that I have 6 inches of each section of leg sleeved??

I was looking at a bipod setup commercially available where they do this for the legs(using a "custom" wedge cut for the wood joint inside the tube.

I would be greatfull if someone can point me to a post of anyone who has tried this....I intend to read all 190+ pages but I wanted to start construction sooner then 2015

Great work to all of you...I'm now sure I can stay off the ground no matter
    where we camp.

Best Regards,
    Captain Doug
    Welcome.
    If you have access to Bamboo it may work as a ridge pole - thick bamboo.
    Or dowel:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...2/4def0019.jpg
    Turtlelady stand is bamboo and lashing - a good BSA project.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=27777&page=13
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Duluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppie Slings
    Discovered this thread last night and ran right to Lowes first thing this morning took a few hours cus of the paint and stain but here it is.........

I have to thank Troy64 for the shopping list and design..
    Last edited by will13fox; 02-25-2014 at 16:53.
    If everything around you is exploding...... its probably us

Keep Calm and Fire for Effect!

All The Way!

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    You got her done. That is fine as frog hair, and man that is fine.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Duluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppie Slings
    Thanks ...... Sorry for the double post ...... Stupid iPhone
    If everything around you is exploding...... its probably us

Keep Calm and Fire for Effect!

All The Way!

• + New Posts
  • Page 194 of 320 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast