Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    When used as part of the hammock suspension, each Atlas Strap would see approximately 100% of your weight combined with your hammock setup. When used to hang the ridgepole, each Atlas Strap will only see 50% of the combined weight of you, your hammock setup and the ridgepole.

Short version...don't worry about it...go hang.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    Attachment 83808
    This is the Atlas strap from the Turtledog stand hinge to the pole. Its clipped back onto itself with the supplied ENO biner. Wrapping it tight around itself holds my whoopie sling in place.
    That setup looks OK. You'll notice if they stretch.

I would also make sure that the each strap is hanging straight down/centered - adjust positioning of stand accordingly so both straps hang straight down, centered.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Gathered End
    Tarp
    Noah 12', DIYTyvek
    Insulation
    ALPS Air Mattress
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Is there a reason why you need to cut the 8 ft 2 x 2's down to 6 feet? I left them 8 ft and it seems as if it is working. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    The main reason I cut the 8's down to 6'5" was for portability. I have an SUV and can lay the back seat down and lay the tripods inside rather than strapping them to the roof. It also lowers the hammock towards the ground and with the length ridgepole I use I can get about an 18" seat level. You can accomplish the same thing by using a longer ridgepole suspension and lowering it towards the ground to whatever height you want to be at. I try to follow the hammock golden rule of don't hang any higher than you are willing to fall. Whatever works for you, HYOH.
    Frank

This one time at Scout camp. . .

Hammock
    Amazona Moskito
    Insulation
    Mother Nature
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    After three and a half days, 90 some-odd pages of reading this thread, I have came up with my own TDS. Many thanks to you all who posted pics, thoughts, ideas, their trials and tribulations etc...
    Mine is built from untreated 2x2s that I will stain with an exterior stain and clear this weekend. I used the same length and angle cuts tops from the information from this post. I used a heavy-duty 4" T-Hinge with 1/4" bolts and fender washers. Although it didn't turn out quite like I would have wanted it to on the back (short) leg/hinge connection point. But they form a tight fit at the cuts and don't see any issue with it. I got a 3/8" stainless shackle that's rated for 1400# that I attached via the middle hole in the T-Hinge. I had to drill the center hinge hole to 3/8" to accept the shackle. A 3/8"x6" I-bolt is hung off the shackle. I got a longer I-bolt than I needed, but I figured I could use the extra threads for some fine tuning of the ridgepole if needed. The I-bolt goes through the toprail and is connected to the toprail 1 1/2" in from the end. Its attached via nuts on top & bottom with a fender washer on the bottom of the toprail. I used a 10'6" galvanized fence toprail that I got cut at 4' & 6' to give me a full 10' ridgepole. I got them to cut it in the plumbing dept at Lowe's where they cut and thread pipe at. I work there, so it was no big deal. They "usually" won't cut toprail because the pressure from the cutting wheel creates a slight rounded off cut. Which is no problem in my case and it actually cleaned up the end of the ridgepole. I could have used it in one section, but if I ever get a larger hammock, I can easily add another section to the ridgepole to accommodate a longer hammock. My Amazona (Byers) Moskito hammock has a braided loop end to attach the hammock to your hanging system. I hung it around the toprail, outside the I-bolt on top and inside it on the bottom. To prevent any issue with the nut or threads of the I-bolt fraying the cordage, I got a piece of 1/2" ID reinforced vinyl tubing to cover the I-bolt. I cut the tubing to a 2" section, then split it down one side to slip over the bolt. The distance between the three legs is 38" and is pretty sturdy in my case. I am 135# and when I lay in the hammock, I am right at 24 to 26" off the ground. There is very little to no deflection on the ridge pole. My 40# daughter even got in it with me and the whole set-up held strong. Not a creek, moan or groan from the system.

I am pretty happy with the setup as for it being my first try, it turned out pretty good. Right now, I am into the whole system for just a few pennies over $40 (including hammock). I plan to stain the legs and paint the ridgepole this weekend. When that's done i'll post up a few more pics. The whole set-up will fit easily in the bed of my Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 so it will be used when no trees are available or too far apart when camping.
    I also got in my Atlas straps and Metolius Inferno Wiregate carabiners. I will use those one day. But for now, my TDS will get a workout under the shade of my pecan tree in the backyard.

"Pics or it didn't happen".....

TDS1.jpg TDS2.5.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NTA_Shawn; 04-23-2014 at 21:27.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NTA_Shawn View Post
    After three and a half days, 90 some-odd pages of reading this thread, I have came up with my own TDS. Many thanks to you all who posted pics, thoughts, ideas, their trials and tribulations etc...
    Mine is built from untreated 2x2s that I will stain with an exterior stain and clear this weekend. I used the same length and angle cuts tops from the information from this post. I used a heavy-duty 4" T-Hinge with 1/4" bolts and fender washers. Although it didn't turn out quite like I would have wanted it to on the back (short) leg/hinge connection point. But they form a tight fit at the cuts and don't see any issue with it. I got a 3/8" stainless shackle that's rated for 1400# that I attached via the middle hole in the T-Hinge. I had to drill the center hinge hole to 3/8" to accept the shackle. A 3/8"x6" I-bolt is hung off the shackle. I got a longer I-bolt than I needed, but I figured I could use the extra threads for some fine tuning of the ridgepole if needed. The I-bolt goes through the toprail and is connected to the toprail 1 1/2" in from the end. Its attached via nuts on top & bottom with a fender washer on the bottom of the toprail. I used a 10'6" galvanized fence toprail that I got cut at 4' & 6' to give me a full 10' ridgepole. I got them to cut it in the plumbing dept at Lowe's where they cut and thread pipe at. I work there, so it was no big deal. They "usually" won't cut toprail because the pressure from the cutting wheel creates a slight rounded off cut. Which is no problem in my case and it actually cleaned up the end of the ridgepole. I could have used it in one section, but if I ever get a larger hammock, I can easily add another section to the ridgepole to accommodate a longer hammock. My Amazona (Byers) Moskito hammock has a braided loop end to attach the hammock to your hanging system. I hung it around the toprail, outside the I-bolt on top and inside it on the bottom. To prevent any issue with the nut or threads of the I-bolt fraying the cordage, I got a piece of 1/2" ID reinforced vinyl tubing to cover the I-bolt. I cut the tubing to a 2" section, then split it down one side to slip over the bolt. The distance between the three legs is 38" and is pretty sturdy in my case. I am 135# and when I lay in the hammock, I am right at 24 to 26" off the ground. There is very little to no deflection on the ridge pole. My 40# daughter even got in it with me and the whole set-up held strong. Not a creek, moan or groan from the system.

I am pretty happy with the setup as for it being my first try, it turned out pretty good. Right now, I am into the whole system for just a few pennies over $40 (including hammock). I plan to stain the legs and paint the ridgepole this weekend. When that's done i'll post up a few more pics. The whole set-up will fit easily in the bed of my Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 so it will be used when no trees are available or too far apart when camping.
    I also got in my Atlas straps and Metolius Inferno Wiregate carabiners. I will use those one day. But for now, my TDS will get a workout under the shade of my pecan tree in the backyard.

"Pics or it didn't happen".....

TDS1.jpg TDS2.5.jpg

Glad you got one built! Like that you used some vinyl tubing on the bolt to protect your suspension. Nice idea.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Very nice setup on the stand. Nice TMNT sandbox!

Hammock
    Amazona Moskito
    Insulation
    Mother Nature
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Thanks guys! I posted the pics on FB and now three friends want me to build them one... There goes my lazy Saturday!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I used my Atlas straps to hang the pole from the metal ring coming off the hinge. Good/Bad idea IDK. Is there a reason why you need to cut the 8 ft 2 x 2's down to 6 feet? I left them 8 ft and it seems as if it is working. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I cut mine down to 6ft and they are just barely tall enough for my WBRR using a 15ft ridge pole. My UQ is probably 4-6 inches off the ground max. The thing I don't like about that is it puts my UQ right where blowing snow or rain will come under the tarp and hit it. Now I wish I'd left them at least 7ft, if not 8ft.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    BTW, it's hard to beat the strength-to-weight ratio of an Aluminum windsurfing mast for a ridgepole. They will take nearly 600lbs of compression.

If you shop around, you can find them for around $20 used. I use a 460cm 2-piece mast, which is about 15ft long assembled.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Images

The TurtleDog stand

Nice idea. Especially as the fence rails you often choose in the US are hard to source here in the UK. I'll see what eBay has.
    Last edited by Humpback; 04-25-2014 at 03:32.

• + New Posts
  • Page 206 of 320 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256306 ... LastLast