Page 209 of 320 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 3191
    Built myself one and had my first camping hang last month, my poles were free, found them in the middle of nowhere awhile back.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Awesome!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    If I were to build a 2x4 version down the line, would the same angle cuts from the diagram still work on that size lumber?

I think I can scrounge up enough scrapped used 2x4 at my job, they're always discarding lumber rather than cleaning it up and reusing it in the future. I like dumpster diving at my job,I've built quite a few projects for free this way!😁

Again, thank you for all the help folks, I highly appreciate it.😎

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice-N-beans View Post
    If I were to build a 2x4 version down the line, would the same angle cuts from the diagram still work on that size lumber?

I think I can scrounge up enough scrapped used 2x4 at my job, they're always discarding lumber rather than cleaning it up and reusing it in the future. I like dumpster diving at my job,I've built quite a few projects for free this way!��

Again, thank you for all the help folks, I highly appreciate it.��
    Well, technically, yes. The angles could be the same, but of course the layout would be somewhat different depending on which direction you laid out the 2x4's. Also keep in mind that if you're looking at my instructions, that design was for the smallest footprint stand I could come up with as I use it indoors too. You could open up the angles some and have a little more stable stand outdoors. (less likely to tip in wind, etc.)

But short answer? Yes!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Well, technically, yes. The angles could be the same, but of course the layout would be somewhat different depending on which direction you laid out the 2x4's. Also keep in mind that if you're looking at my instructions, that design was for the smallest footprint stand I could come up with as I use it indoors too. You could open up the angles some and have a little more stable stand outdoors. (less likely to tip in wind, etc.)

But short answer? Yes!
    Thanks again hppyfngy. 😎

Hammock
    Amazona Moskito
    Insulation
    Mother Nature
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Got my stands and ridgepole painted and up today. I went to Lowe's and got a quart of exterior Valspar paint. I wanted a dark brown color to give it a nature type of feel. I went with a color called "Cowboy Boots". Sanded the legs with some 120grit sandpaper to smooth off the roughness. I also sanded the ridgepole (galvanized fence toprail) with the same 120grit. I used a dust mask (and safety glasses) as I don't want that galvanize or wood dust in my body. I went with a satin black Rustoleum paint & primer in one. The pole and legs have two coats of paint on them so I shouldn't have to repaint them anytime soon. I made sure to give the legs a good coating on the bottoms as that's where they will encounter earth, dirt or water.
    I also found a bracket that helps hang my bug net. Not sure if I am going to keep it or not. It worked out well due to it screwed directly onto the stubs of the 1/4" screws I used to attach the legs to the hinge. May have to do some fabricating on it to make it more functional and lighter.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by NTA_Shawn View Post
    Got my stands and ridgepole painted and up today. I went to Lowe's and got a quart of exterior Valspar paint. I wanted a dark brown color to give it a nature type of feel. I went with a color called "Cowboy Boots". Sanded the legs with some 120grit sandpaper to smooth off the roughness. I also sanded the ridgepole (galvanized fence toprail) with the same 120grit. I used a dust mask (and safety glasses) as I don't want that galvanize or wood dust in my body. I went with a satin black Rustoleum paint & primer in one. The pole and legs have two coats of paint on them so I shouldn't have to repaint them anytime soon. I made sure to give the legs a good coating on the bottoms as that's where they will encounter earth, dirt or water.
    I also found a bracket that helps hang my bug net. Not sure if I am going to keep it or not. It worked out well due to it screwed directly onto the stubs of the 1/4" screws I used to attach the legs to the hinge. May have to do some fabricating on it to make it more functional and lighter.

Looks Sweet!

Just wanted to stop in and thank everyone here for the awesome thread, read it from front to back, took some notes along the way and thought I would give this a go. Just bought my first hammock and was supposed to use it last weekend for a Scouting backpacking trip. We got a little more weather than what was expected and the trip was cancelled. So next weekend we are heading up a one of our Boy Scout camps but they don't allow hanging from trees.

I just finished construction and have it hanging in my living room. I got about 15 minutes in it alone before my youngest joined me. Then just for kicks, I had my oldest join me. Together we weigh in at 370lbs. I was concerned at first but without any creaking, snapping, groaning, weird noises of any type we tested it for around 10 minutes.

Pretty basic construction, 6'10" legs (the longest that will fit in my pickup diagonally) 10' ridgepole, quicklink off the hinge to 3/8" eyebolt. Using a Grand Trunk parachute nylon single. As with everyone else the big box store had horrible wood, I ended up around the corner and while 4 times the price the redwood 2X2's were straight, knot free, and I always liked the way redwood looked anyways.

PS- since this is my first hammock I was having a hard time understanding why the longer ridgepoles required taller stands... My first attempt had a ridgepole of 13' and the hammock was on the ground. All I can say is, duh~! Totally get it now!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Good for you! We like pictures if you can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Good for you! We like pictures if you can manage.
    I was trying to have the poles pack as flat as possible because this is going to travel a lot if I like it. turns out that the ridge pole was pushing the rear leg out and no weight was being placed on it. I ended up putting the middle leg on the outside of the hinge and now all 3 legs are pulling their weight!

I went with a much wider stance of about 5 feet, just because I know that I will end up on uneven terrain. Simple paracord limiters keep it from going too far. And the obligatory foot shot, never mind the super white legs!
    2014-05-04 12.03.11.jpg

2014-05-04 14.23.17.jpg

2014-05-04 14.24.33.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 209 of 320 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast