Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the frame built (its no work of art) though I am still trying to figure out what to use for a crossbeam. Hanging with out the crossbeam collapses the frame (did a rope test)...fence pole is just not attainable out here. Thinking about getting some sort of bracket (90') to attach to the frame and then lay a 12ft 2x4 across it to act as a cross beam - maybe hang off the gate-hinge directly, using the crossbream to prevent the frame from collapsing on itself?

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallaghan View Post
    I have the frame built (its no work of art) though I am still trying to figure out what to use for a crossbeam. Hanging with out the crossbeam collapses the frame (did a rope test)...fence pole is just not attainable out here. Thinking about getting some sort of bracket (90') to attach to the frame and then lay a 12ft 2x4 across it to act as a cross beam - maybe hang off the gate-hinge directly, using the crossbream to prevent the frame from collapsing on itself?
    That 12x2x4 should do fine; be sure to hang your hammock centered beneath the tripod. Here's a random page from this thread that has some pictures that should get you going/ease your mind as far as attachment.

Hammock
    Homebuilt Taffeta tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I made one and just hung from it a few minutes ago. Sadly, it is getting a bit dark for pictures. I have a bunch of fine tuning to do to get the height right on the hang and still need to attach limiter cord, but currently it seems quite stable without it.
    20140602_201615.jpg20140602_161444.jpg
    So I took some pictures today.
    Last edited by Heisssenberg; 06-03-2014 at 09:27. Reason: adding photos

Hammock
    TTTM Double, WBBB XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, DD3X3
    Insulation
    UKhammocks TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Treehuggers
    Another joiner, or maybe I should say I'm on the way to join the turtle dog clan. As soon as I found out about these stands I new I would have a set one day.
    So I thought to build them before my upcoming roadtrip to Sweden this summer, so I wouldn't have to take a tent and stuff along just in case there are no trees on a campsite. Sure It would be used in my treeless backyard to...
    But now I've a small camping trip coming up this weekend with the possible horror of groundsleeping(read no suitable set of trees available). The decision was quickly made, a stop over at the hardware store on my way home from work.
    I bought me a set of 2X3 7 foot pieces of pine, and some bolts and hinges and stuff. But then to source a ridgepole... They don't do much chainlink fences here except by specialized fence building company's. Wandering around in the hardware store I bumped into one of the latest trends in these here parts... Scaffolding wood and construction stuff to build you're own furniture out of. That's some nice steel tubing in 28MM or 1 1/8" diameter, with a coupling piece to bring together the 2 meter or ehm 6'8" length pieces(standard sizes). I hope I'm all set with this and not find out that I should have gone with the larger diameter 42MM or about 1 5/8" pipe(it's twice the price and the coupling felt all loose fitting).
    So I left the hardware store some 75 euro poorer but a Turtledog stand diy kit richer. Started the build this evening, but hadn't time to finish, so that's for tomorrow as is the best bit... The test night(bring on the hammock sleeping).

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    I just finished this one. Three 2x4's ripped to size, 2 hinges, 8 bolts/nuts/washers, 10.5' chain link fence top rail, stainless shackle (800 lb), free twine from Home Depot for leg limiters. ~$39 before tax. About 30 minutes (5 of actual work, 25 of patting myself on the back) It'll hang with two loops of amsteel and bicycle inner tube.

No pics, mine look much like others already on the board.

Edit: I just hung from it. very cool. Anyone can hang inside or out. Get the couch outa the house!
    Last edited by kayak4water; 06-03-2014 at 01:21.

Another one - Aluminum Pole Style, lashed.

http://imgur.com/a/pUdxb

Thanks to gmcttr for all the help

It will mainly be used on scout camping trips where we are car camping, but do not have trees available.

Oh, and in my backyard.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    The saw horse brackets/legs would probably work okay, but you wouldn't have a TurtleDog stand. I did something similar for indoor hanging in smaller rooms. FYI, those blue Trojan saw horses are amazingly sturdy when set up with a 2x4.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Add me to the list (even though it's no longer being maintained).

We'll be joining another family in an area where the hanging options are unknown, so I got to work on making myself a stand. My wife and kids might be staying in a tent, but that doesn't mean that I have to submit myself to the same torture.

Stand 1.jpg

My apologies for the wreck of the yard. I decided to play with tools today instead of doing yardwork.

Since the consensus on tripod height and crossbar length seems to be "start long and trim to suit", I started with 6' legs and a 13' beam (3' + 6' + 4'). The whole rig is pretty long, but I have plenty of room for my WBBB and a REALLY big tarp if I choose. I'd like to experiment with 5' legs and a 12' crossbeam to see if the whole rig will still hang high enough.

Here's a shot of one of the ends, a shameless copy of hppyfngy's rig.

Stand 2.jpg

My wife came out to check out the stand, laid down in my hammock, looked up at me and said, "Where's yours?"

Glad I had already planned to build another, and I'm looking forward to surprising her with her very own WBBB in the next week or so.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm not sure I would trust this; but I'm thinking it might be easier for me to make my TD with these poles plus the fence pole, using tripod lashing?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-...32-8/203910977

or would I be better off using gate hinges and 2x3 lumber? The local Home Depots don't have the 2x2s but they have 2x3s and 2x4s...I might ask the local lumberyards if they have 2-3" round poles......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Wow, those poles are expensive. I could get all six of the 2x3s I used for the cost of one of those poles.

Don't mean to sound like you shouldn't use them if you like them, but there are cheaper options to be found.

• + New Posts
  • Page 214 of 320 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264314 ... LastLast