Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Try to put a multiwrap (prussic) from the rope around the ridgepole. This will keep more firm and keep it from slidding a little.

Having the carabiner outside of the pole suspension rope is ok, but has a tendency to slide. You can use a rope as well to clip the carabiner onto and larkshead or prussic that rope to the ridgepole to keep it from slidding too much.

These two suggestions should help with the problem. Or use an eyebolt thru the ridgepole. This eyebolt is used to connect to the tripod and to keep the hammock from slidding into the middle.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Try to put a multiwrap (prussic) from the rope around the ridgepole. This will keep more firm and keep it from slidding a little.

Having the carabiner outside of the pole suspension rope is ok, but has a tendency to slide. You can use a rope as well to clip the carabiner onto and larkshead or prussic that rope to the ridgepole to keep it from slidding too much.

These two suggestions should help with the problem. Or use an eyebolt thru the ridgepole. This eyebolt is used to connect to the tripod and to keep the hammock from slidding into the middle.

IMG_1038.jpgIMG_1039.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I would make the leg spread limiters a little longer to make the footprint a little more stable by spreading the legs a little farther out.

Also, the loops could be a little longer as well to allow you to wrap a few times around the ridgepole. The extra wraps will hold the pole better and not allow the weight in the hammock to pull the tripods together.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    I would make the leg spread limiters a little longer to make the footprint a little more stable by spreading the legs a little farther out.

Also, the loops could be a little longer as well to allow you to wrap a few times around the ridgepole. The extra wraps will hold the pole better and not allow the weight in the hammock to pull the tripods together.
    OK, thanks.

I have about 7.5 feet of paracord on the limiters now, but I'll go bigger. Are we worried about the height of tripods? I started with 6 foot poles, but with the spread they down around 5.5ft.

I plan on getting shackles tomorrow and some weight bearing rope. That's just clothesline now.

I've got 2 ten foot poles that join together. What's a good length for the overall pole length? Eventually, I'll hang a WBBB on it. Right now I'm using a handmade hammock I picked up in Belize several years ago.

I'm think of putting a bolt or cotter pin in where the pole join. They kept coming apart on me when I was fiddling with the position of the tripods.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The height is only a problem if you extend the hammock suspension too far due to a long ridgepole. At your tripod height, make sure your using the entire length of the loops on the ridgepole and connect the hammock close to those loops.

As long as the hammock suspension angel is correct, you can attach using whatever length from 1" on up in length to the ridgepole. The length of the RP can be longer than needed if you connect it to the TDS using loops instead of hardware to slide along it's length. That way you can use different length hammocks.

Since the height of the TDS is already made, and the length of the RP has already been determined, your options are down to vertical RP suspension (loops from TDS to RP) and length of hammock suspension. These don't have to be exact and can be adjusted with each hang if you use longer suspension.

Your almost done.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    The height is only a problem if you extend the hammock suspension too far due to a long ridgepole. At your tripod height, make sure your using the entire length of the loops on the ridgepole and connect the hammock close to those loops.

As long as the hammock suspension angel is correct, you can attach using whatever length from 1" on up in length to the ridgepole. The length of the RP can be longer than needed if you connect it to the TDS using loops instead of hardware to slide along it's length. That way you can use different length hammocks.

Since the height of the TDS is already made, and the length of the RP has already been determined, your options are down to vertical RP suspension (loops from TDS to RP) and length of hammock suspension. These don't have to be exact and can be adjusted with each hang if you use longer suspension.

Your almost done.
    You lost me. Not sure what you mean by "make sure your using the entire length of the loop on the ridgepole".
    MY RP length isn't determined yet. I have 20ft of pole that I haven't cut yet. Wasn't sure how long to cut it. Seems 13 foot is a common number.

Honestly, the hanging of the WBBB on trees intimidates the hell out of me. I've watched tons of videos in preparation for when mine arrives but a lot still doesn't make sense. I have a lot of knots to learn, which is ok. But knowing what knot to use wear is what gets me!

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The meaning was in looping around the RP a few times so it's closer to the top of the TDS. Instead of 1 or 2 loops, more of the cord looped several times until no more cord can be looped. Really not a big deal, just a way to make the pole higher off the ground to give you a few inches of ground clearance.

The biggest problem with new hammocks when your starting out is all those vids and the eek factor. Don't go into "Too-Much-Info-Overload".

Before you size your TDS's ridgepole, wait to your receive the hammock and set it up a few times outside. Go to a group hang around you or ask someone close to you if they will set up your rig to help you. You will be surprised how many here will be glad to help.

After setting up the WBBB a few times, you'll see that it only looks hard. It's not. Then, your ground dweller friends will oooo and aaaaa over your rig.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Here is a great thread to find someone in your area. PM them for one-on-one assistance.
    -->HF Member Dispersal Spreadsheet thread.
    Here is the spreadsheet itself.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKGuy View Post
    OK, thanks.

I have about 7.5 feet of paracord on the limiters now, but I'll go bigger. Are we worried about the height of tripods? I started with 6 foot poles, but with the spread they down around 5.5ft.

I plan on getting shackles tomorrow and some weight bearing rope. That's just clothesline now.

I've got 2 ten foot poles that join together. What's a good length for the overall pole length? Eventually, I'll hang a WBBB on it. Right now I'm using a handmade hammock I picked up in Belize several years ago.

I'm think of putting a bolt or cotter pin in where the pole join. They kept coming apart on me when I was fiddling with the position of the tripods.
    I drilled the hole for my shackle on the hinge in the center. I wanted the weight to be distributed right down the center of each stand.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 w/ UQP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Can we talk spread limiters for a moment? My currently broken TDS had the cut angles on the tops of the poles. I'm considering going the spread limiter route with my next build, but I don't know how you guys attach your limiting rope. I've seen one photo with eyes bolts in the legs. Could you drill a small hole through the legs and run your rope through there or is that gunna compromise the poles' integrity? Also, what's a good, stable, spread width?

• + New Posts
  • Page 227 of 320 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277 ... LastLast