Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    She did! We slept next to each other under that tarp and I think that made her more at ease. She even asked when we are going to do it again!

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailH4x View Post
    Using your Amsteel keeper idea, the S hook and eyebolt assemblies could be done away with to save weight. A bit more length to the loop would allow you to go straight to the ridge pole with it. Thoughts?
    I don't know. The loops aren't structural enough without the wood 2x2's being securely lashed together. The idea was that if something gave, I'd have a bit of warning and a way to slow/slop the fall before getting dumped to the ground.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Already I can tell that my DIY nature and hammocking are destined to rob me of lots of time and cash.

I'm planning on making my own bug nets next, and considering building my own hammock.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyII View Post
    I don't know. The loops aren't structural enough without the wood 2x2's being securely lashed together. The idea was that if something gave, I'd have a bit of warning and a way to slow/slop the fall before getting dumped to the ground.
    Roger.
    I did not intend to remove your hinge and fasteners, only the S-hook and eyebolt. Once you get more comfortable with your splicings, you'll feel better about evaluating then working load of AmSteel and the efficiency reductions of your slicing and rope work. (Just food for thought, wasn't meant to sound critical.) HYOH.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Oh, and yesterday, I shortened the rear leg so that the fold up stands would rest on all three legs, vs. balancing on the rear because it was longer. I also added ranger bands to hold my S hooks to the rear legs when not in use so I don't lose them, and added a small paracord loop lashed to the rear leg so I can tie it out for additional stability.

Will this tinkering ever end?

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailH4x View Post
    Roger.
    I did not intend to remove your hinge and fasteners, only the S-hook and eyebolt. Once you get more comfortable with your splicings, you'll feel better about evaluating then working load of AmSteel and the efficiency reductions of your slicing and rope work. (Just food for thought, wasn't meant to sound critical.) HYOH.
    You didn't come across as critical. I gotcha. I trust the splicings pretty well now, and the wife must too. My Grand Trunk hammocks both have continuous loops I made.

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm not a very handy kind of person. I am wondering if it's possible to make a turtledog with adjustable legs?

I'd really like to arrange the stand so the hammock is over my bed and in front of my window to enjoy the breeze, putting the hang height a good 4' off the ground and therefore needing at least 79.2 inches in height for my ridge pole. Getting that kind of length anything into my car or into the apartment is going to be tricky to say the least. It would be nice to be able to use the same tripods set lower for outdoor use. I know I could make the ridge pole adjustable in height, and put the legs together more permanently at a higher height, but just thought I'd see if you folks thought adjusting legs were a possibility.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyII View Post
    Will this tinkering ever end?
    Nope!
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling - UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but I'm not a very handy kind of person. I am wondering if it's possible to make a turtledog with adjustable legs?

I'd really like to arrange the stand so the hammock is over my bed and in front of my window to enjoy the breeze, putting the hang height a good 4' off the ground and therefore needing at least 79.2 inches in height for my ridge pole. Getting that kind of length anything into my car or into the apartment is going to be tricky to say the least. It would be nice to be able to use the same tripods set lower for outdoor use. I know I could make the ridge pole adjustable in height, and put the legs together more permanently at a higher height, but just thought I'd see if you folks thought adjusting legs were a possibility.
    I haven't seen anyone with adjustable turtledog stand, but you could do one of the bipod stand options and then have short legs, with add-on leg piece for indoors. You would probably want to put something on the feet for indoors.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-style-stand
    would be what I would have done if I hadn't already done mine: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-(bipod-stand)
    I bought my parts from same source. I may get the 1 3/8 "Open L" as mentioned on the second page of the first thread for future use. Of course my version doesn't require anything to keep the legs from spreading out.

Thanks lxzndr, that looks like a good option!

• + New Posts
  • Page 257 of 320 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307 ... LastLast