Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    It's the 4' military surplus poles that several of us have posted about in the last 5 years. These photos were taken before I installed snap buttons in each pole to lock them together.

Example of Snap Buttons.

Hammock
    , , , , , chameleon
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    The image isn't working for me.
    I fixed it now, I couldn't get the attachment thing to work with my phone so I tried using photobucket. Now that I'm using a desktop I got the attachment to work. pics should be there now.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Not if the right poles and technique are used...

Attachment 152484 Attachment 152483 Attachment 152485
    gmcttr,

My issue with these poles is with the horizontal bar. If I tie my hammock ropes to the bar, the ropes will slip when I sit in it. I need to have something to hold the hammock ropes in place. On one end of the poles are the connection tubes, and these can hold one end from slipping. But on the other end there is nothing to prevent the slippage. I am going to have to drill in to the pole and put some kind of eye bolt to hold the hammock rope. I am not thrilled about that.

What do you suggest I do to hold the hammock rope to the end of the horizontal bar?
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    It's the 4' military surplus poles that several of us have posted about in the last 5 years. These photos were taken before I installed snap buttons in each pole to lock them together.

Example of Snap Buttons.
    Thanks. I found the entire kit here but it's sold our at the moment.
    http://www.militaryfieldgear.com/csohatrstkiw.html

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    ...If I tie my hammock ropes to the bar, the ropes will slip when I sit in it....What do you suggest I do to hold the hammock rope to the end of the horizontal bar?
    I run the straps through a section of bicycle tire inner tube...

IMG_5143-001 (Medium).JPG

If that doesn't do it for you, use a band clamp with a piece of tubing over it to protect the strap/rope...

IMG_5145-001 (Medium).JPG

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Thanks. I found the entire kit here but it's sold our at the moment...
    I highly recommend installing the snap buttons. Just make sure to set up a jig and drill them ALL in the same location so they are all interchangeable. Here is the way I did it but you could use wood blocks for the jig too....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post854600

The TurtleDog stand

Hey there friends and mentors, been reading this thread for ages, finally decided to build my stand myself. I took something pretty similar to the original design, but designed it a little heavier. By using 2x4's I hoped to increase the safety factor to hang me and my wife wifey her, more than double the compressive strength, and so far it's working. Just built it yesterday, hung two or three hours with the wife, seems to be holding up so far 🤞🏻IMG_4996.jpg need to do a couple adjustments still, but you can see the general idea, and it's not like it's the first of its kind.

Also, ignore the poor scenery, I haven't had a chance to take it out and about yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice design! Can you provide a closeup of the hinge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    , , , , , chameleon
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Hey Guys I need some help. I built my Tdog a few weeks ago, and it's been working great with my el cheapo hammock, I think it's under 10', however, I just received my chameleon and I'm having the worst time setting it up. My ridge pole is 14', with a removable 4' middle section. I tried setting up with the 14' ridgepole and wasn't able to get my whoopee slings short enough without them being way to taught...at like a 15 degree angle and when I dropped them to 30 degree the hammock was on the ground when I got in it. Same problems when I removed the middle pole. I'm just unable to get the hammock to hang at a good angle without sitting on the ground. What size ridgepole do you guys use? I was looking through some YouTube vids and one person recommended lengthening the whoopee slings and running them though the pole attachment and then run them parallel to the ridgeline and connect them to each other since I can't get them short enough. I may have to give them a try tonight.

Side note, I had my tripod lashed together but will be switching out to the gate hinges bc I've been having issues with the lashing sliding down the poles, could be due to them stretching and a combo of all the rain, anyways, It's just another hassle and it can be easily resolved by going with some hard ware.

I've been contemplating with setting the ridge pole on top of the tripods, rather than hang under them so I could get more height, the technicalities of that hasn't come to me yet.

This is all very frustrating when I have a brand new hammock I'm excited to try and can't.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad32825 View Post
    Hey Guys I need some help. I built my Tdog a few weeks ago, and it's been working great with my el cheapo hammock, I think it's under 10', however, I just received my chameleon and I'm having the worst time setting it up. My ridge pole is 14', with a removable 4' middle section. I tried setting up with the 14' ridgepole and wasn't able to get my whoopee slings short enough without them being way to taught...at like a 15 degree angle and when I dropped them to 30 degree the hammock was on the ground when I got in it. Same problems when I removed the middle pole. I'm just unable to get the hammock to hang at a good angle without sitting on the ground. What size ridgepole do you guys use? I was looking through some YouTube vids and one person recommended lengthening the whoopee slings and running them though the pole attachment and then run them parallel to the ridgeline and connect them to each other since I can't get them short enough. I may have to give them a try tonight.

Side note, I had my tripod lashed together but will be switching out to the gate hinges bc I've been having issues with the lashing sliding down the poles, could be due to them stretching and a combo of all the rain, anyways, It's just another hassle and it can be easily resolved by going with some hard ware.

I've been contemplating with setting the ridge pole on top of the tripods, rather than hang under them so I could get more height, the technicalities of that hasn't come to me yet.

This is all very frustrating when I have a brand new hammock I'm excited to try and can't.
    How tall are your tripod legs? Maybe they need to be taller? If you use longer tripod legs, you can always drop a line down to whatever height you need to hang your ridgepole. Short legs can't be raised. If you use the hinge, it should raise your ridgepole attachment point somewhat, but not much.

If you post a picture of the chameleon in the turtledog (there's a phrase I never thought I'd say!), that would also help with diagnosis.

• + New Posts
  • Page 291 of 320 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293301 ... LastLast