Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

Weight Distribution?

Camera angles can be deceiving. As I admire these stands in the photos, I sometimes feel myself wanting to reach in and pull the back leg out more to center the hanging point so that the downward force is more centered in the triangular footprint of the tri-pod. Are the turtledog stands distributing the weight evenly on all three legs of the tripods?

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    Camera angles can be deceiving. As I admire these stands in the photos, I sometimes feel myself wanting to reach in and pull the back leg out more to center the hanging point so that the downward force is more centered in the triangular footprint of the tri-pod. Are the turtledog stands distributing the weight evenly on all three legs of the tripods?
    Mine does. I tried to design the angles of the cuts to make a "perfect" triangle. Personally I wanted my poles to be more upright than some of the others I've seen as to place the force more on the strength of the poles rather than on the line used as spread limiter.

Yes, it may not look like it but in practice the line coming down from the ridge pole is pretty centered and vertical. The tripod doesn't move when you load it.

Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    How much weight do you think these will hold? I would love to get my dad in a hammock....he's a big man.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    How much weight do you think these will hold? I would love to get my dad in a hammock....he's a big man.
    I'm only 180 but my 210# nephew uses it with no problem. IMHO keeping the spread small helps it hold more weight. But that's kind of a balancing act to find the right point of compromise.

Practically speaking it's pretty impossible to compress a 2x2 lengthwise.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Hennessey Clone.
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Clone
    Insulation
    Pads & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Images
    One quick question: Has anyone tried to make a ridge pole with three sections? Using the chain-link fence poles only give you 10' if I remember correctly and I would like to set the tripods 12' apart to allow my tarp to be fully stretched.

What does everyone think of two joints in the ridge?

Thanks, FH

Or can you find longer pipe pieces that have the flare to join them?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FontanaHorseman View Post
    One quick question: Has anyone tried to make a ridge pole with three sections? Using the chain-link fence poles only give you 10' if I remember correctly and I would like to set the tripods 12' apart to allow my tarp to be fully stretched.

Thanks, FH

If My memory serves, and that's getting questionable, the Turtlelady uses a 3 piece toprail. Don't see any reason it shouldn't work as the toprail is in compression. Even with 2 sections there is some upward deflection, with 3 maybe a little more. Scared me the first time I tried it seeing the rail start to flex but it's only an inch or so. Maybe Turtlelady will reply with her experiences.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Thanks, FH

I think two joins would not be a problem.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    Camera angles can be deceiving...Are the turtledog stands distributing the weight evenly on all three legs of the tripods?
    It's the camera angle. All of these tripods are made with equal length legs and the pull is straight down from the ~center. This distributes the weight evenly.

...the chain-link fence poles only give you 10' if I remember correctly and I would like to set the tripods 12' apart......Or can you find longer pipe pieces that have the flare to join them?
    21' appears to be another common length for top rail. Cut it to the length you like.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    My most compact chain link fence top rail system uses 4 sections. I add two of the standard top rail connectors from Lowe's. A layer of duct tape around the ends of the pipe sections before adding the connector makes a nicer fit.

If I am going to be set up for more than a night or two, I sometimes duct tape the connections just to minimize the chance that I forget to check all the connections before retiring.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    21' appears to be another common length for top rail. Cut it to the length you like.

I am assuming FontanaHorseman is wanting to have the top rail in sections to maintain portability. Another option that would add to the expense a bit would be to buy 2 toprails that you can cut to 6 ft each to get your 12 ft and still maintain your portability as the top rail sections would be no longer than your legs on your tripods. I would think you could even cut each toprail a little bit longer to gain an extra few inches without noticing any real difference in packability. As long as the toprails are cut evenly each extra inch in length should net you 2 inches in total length. I say this with no actual experience as I do not even have a stand yet. Good luck with your stands.

Now that I thought of it for a few seconds I am thinking you would need to go a few inches over the 6' to achieve a total 12' length. You are going to loose a couple inches where the 2 poles join. If the 12' length is not critical this is not an issue. If it is you may have to adjust accordingly. If you do the angled tops like Randy did then you should be able to use longer toprails and still match the length of the tripods.
    Last edited by RePete; 05-07-2012 at 08:11. Reason: had an epiphany
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 320 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast