ENO Dbl Del, WBBB 1.7 do
    Tarp
    Exped Sct Ext/WBSF
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9
    Suspension
    Bliss straps
    Quote Originally Posted by djh1988 View Post
    Out of town for a week but after a red eye flight home Mon, picked up a 10' 1.5" EMT on the way home from the airport. Worked great. Yes, I will post picture (when I figure out how to do that).
    PHOTO! Now to work on a portable version. BTW, slept in my new WBBB 1.7 dbl last night. Ahhhhhhhh!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great project and great pics!

Images

success

Finished my T-Dawg over the weekend. I was so excited to set up in the backyard I failed to notice the bending and finally failing pipe above my head (good thing the lord saw fit to give me a thick skull). After licking my wounds, I went back to the drawing board and converted to a bipod design and staked it out. No pipe above my head and stayed off the ground.

I wanted to complete the TDS as described in the thread. I finished it on Tuesday and it works great with a 10' pole. I am ready to retry the longer poles but will reinforce with dowel or other material inside. 14' would be ideal with the winter tarp.

thank you for all of the information in this thread and the site

Converted ground dweller for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HangDenAround View Post
    I was so excited to set up in the backyard I failed to notice the bending and finally failing pipe above my head
    Make sure the point where the hammock suspension connects to the pipe is as close as possible to directly under the point where the pipe connects to the stand. Mine is directly underneath and I have no noticeable bend in the pipe at all.
    Last edited by jaitch; 10-25-2012 at 12:23.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaitch View Post
    Make sure the point where the hammock suspension connects to the pipe is as close to directly under the point where the pipe connects to the stand. Mine is directly underneath and I have no noticeable bend in the pipe at all.
    Yes, the bending pipe really shouldn't happen. I started out doing the top rail end cap suspension, but I have since built all my other stands using the through eye bolt attachment. This puts the inward force exactly under the hang point and eliminates any bending whatsoever. I'm using this currently with a three piece 14' rail and it doesn't budge. I like it.

Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Images
    Make sure the point where the hammock suspension connects to the pipe is as close to directly under the point where the pipe connects to the stand. Mine is directly underneath and I have no noticeable bend in the pipe at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Yes, the bending pipe really shouldn't happen. I started out doing the top rail end cap suspension, but I have since built all my other stands using the through eye bolt attachment. This puts the inward force exactly under the hang point and eliminates any bending whatsoever. I'm using this currently with a three piece 14' rail and it doesn't budge. I like it.

Thank you both - I have been reading the alignment statements through out the post and it finally clicked. I was using the end caps with a CL to hang the bar from the gate hinge. I think I will convert to the eye bolt design.

Quote Originally Posted by HangDenAround View Post
    Thank you both - I have been reading the alignment statements through out the post and it finally clicked. I was using the end caps with a CL to hang the bar from the gate hinge. I think I will convert to the eye bolt design.
    I just use rope for mine because I use it mainly indoors and have to be able to break the setup down after using it to store it away (I use an old ski bag which is just about the perfect size).

I cut my ridge pole to a 6' and a 4' piece so that I would have more options in the future if I want to use a longer pole setup (I'd cut a second pole to 7' and 3' which would allow for a 13' max to a 7' min pole).

The eye bolt is probably more secure, but I like the rope version for mine (besides, the rope version involves more knots ).
    Last edited by jaitch; 10-25-2012 at 12:22.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    The eye bolt is probably more secure, but I like the rope version for mine (besides, the rope version involves more knots ).
    I don't disagree at all but the eye bolt stops any thought the hammock suspension might have of sliding inward. It also makes it quick and easy disassemble/assemble.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Originally Posted by olddog
    The question was posed by old4hats about the number of turtledog stands that had been built. Went back and reviewed a few threads, the Turtlelady stand, the TurtleDog stand and a thread by domromer. Here is what I was able to find and assume that there may be others.

Page #2
    #101 - turtleburger
    #102 - JakobW
    #103 - berksound
    #104 - HangDenAround

Will be looking for pics.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

I'm brand new to the forums and hanging in general. Trying to attach my ENO doublenest to the railings of my apartments balcony ended in catastrophic failure. My deck is 10'x5'11''. There is so much awesome information, I don't know where to start. My fear is that I will get all the suplies apply the requisite grunting and cursing getting it put together and it will be to long to be functional. Any advice on what modifications I should encorporate from the beginning to lessen my chances of falling over the edge of my balcony?

• + New Posts
  • Page 75 of 320 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast