Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Yes, the bending pipe really shouldn't happen. I started out doing the top rail end cap suspension, but I have since built all my other stands using the through eye bolt attachment. This puts the inward force exactly under the hang point and eliminates any bending whatsoever. I'm using this currently with a three piece 14' rail and it doesn't budge. I like it.

Randy,
    Where the amsteel touches off the eye-bolt assembly, have you noticed any damage to the amsteel? I'm thinking I may do wraps diagonal of duct tape or something where the amsteel routs around, but wanted to see from you if any damaged noticed first... don't want to fix it if not broken.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    Randy,
    Where the amsteel touches off the eye-bolt assembly, have you noticed any damage to the amsteel? I'm thinking I may do wraps diagonal of duct tape or something where the amsteel routs around, but wanted to see from you if any damaged noticed first... don't want to fix it if not broken.
    None at all Rob, but I haven't been using this rig a ton. If I were going to try to protect it I think I'd splice in a section of vinyl tubing in the eye, but it's probably not necessary.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Quote Originally Posted by joeybravo13 View Post
    My deck is 10'x5'11''... My fear is that I will get all the suplies apply the requisite grunting and cursing getting it put together and it will be to long to be functional. Any advice on what modifications I should encorporate from the beginning to lessen my chances of falling over the edge of my balcony?
    You shouldn't have to make many. The website indicates the ENO Double Nest is 9'4" long. I have a 10'6" DIY hammock and hang it in my sunroom which is about 11' wide. My pipe is 10' long and each end ends just past the dead center of the tripod. The pipe suspension rope connects to the pipe about 3-4" in from the end and the hammock support rope hangs directly below that connection.

You may have to hang the pipe with it extending through, and past, the peak of the tripod since the deck is only 10' and the peak of the tripod will necessarily be 6-8" in from the edge since the tripod legs themselves will extend to the 10' limit. If so, and depending on how far from the hamock you need to connect the hammock suspension to the pipe to get the ideal 30* angle, you may end up connecting it just outboard of the pipe suspension which would cause a slight upward bow of the pipe. It shouldn't be too bad and certainly much less than those who are connecting their hammocks to end caps BEYOND the end of the pipe.

But, you have 12" more to play with than I do, so whatever adjustment you need to make shouldn't be much. Plus you could always hang the pipe a bit lower to help compensate.

Finally, there's not much grunting and cursing as the TDS is remarkably easy to put together. Good luck.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeybravo13 View Post
    I'm brand new to the forums and hanging in general. Trying to attach my ENO doublenest to the railings of my apartments balcony ended in catastrophic failure. My deck is 10'x5'11''. There is so much awesome information, I don't know where to start. My fear is that I will get all the suplies apply the requisite grunting and cursing getting it put together and it will be to long to be functional. Any advice on what modifications I should encorporate from the beginning to lessen my chances of falling over the edge of my balcony?

What kind of failure did you have?

Are you going to try to fit a TDS in from corner to corner? Either way you'll have a little trouble with a 10' top rail. My stands are pretty upright compared to some and they require 13' or so at the floor.

You could do as jaitch suggests and extend the top rail beyond the tripods but watch out for flexing and use a sturdy pipe. That upward stress has caused many a failure.

For an ENO, you might get away with a shorter top rail...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Thanks for the guidance. The catastrophic failure was the gaurd rail ripping off the anchor bolts that kept it (and people) on the patio. I almost took the express route to the ground 3 stories below. I think I'll go to the big box hardware store tomorrow and try to post pictures next week. Maybe I'll get fancy and do a youtube or something too.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    still tweaking
    Finally got my TDS done! Due to the WBRR and advice from this thread, made the ridgepole 16feet ( it comes to just a smidge under due to the pipe extending from the ends). Two connections....6 feet and two 5 footers. Seven feet tall. Didn't put the RR on it yet; just hung the Byers Moskito. It did very well. No noticable bend in the pipe, but there was some lateral jiggle when I bounced around. Tomorrow I'll see how the RR does and hopefully get some pics.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Early version of TDS. Note the tripods.

http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Originally Posted by olddog
    The question was posed by old4hats about the number of turtledog stands that had been built. Went back and reviewed a few threads, the Turtlelady stand, the TurtleDog stand and a thread by domromer. Here is what I was able to find and assume that there may be others.

Page #2
    #101 - turtleburger
    #102 - JakobW
    #103 - berksound
    #104 - HangDenAround
    #105 - civetta62

Great Pic Ken! A mobile hammock stand.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    ENO Dbl Del, WBBB 1.7 do
    Tarp
    Exped Sct Ext/WBSF
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9
    Suspension
    Bliss straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Early version of TDS. Note the tripods.

How much do you think the oiled cloth tarp weighed.

Hammock
    ENO Dbl Del, WBBB 1.7 do
    Tarp
    Exped Sct Ext/WBSF
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9
    Suspension
    Bliss straps

Portability for Heavy Weight

Quote Originally Posted by LEAGLE View Post
    Very interested to hear how your top rail works out. I too am 300# and tried a 1 3/8" top rail in 3 4' sections connected with the top-rail connectors. Was not confident it would work but was shooting for portability. MAJOR FAILURE immediately when I got in my hammock - one of the metal connectors snapped in half. Back to the drawing board but am out of ideas on cost-effective solutions.
    Here is my first solution to a "portable" (= no pieces longer than 5 1/2') top rail. Used a 30" piece of 1" EMT inside the 1 3/8" chainlink pipe. There was just a little play but a couple of wraps with duct tape took care of that. Interestingly, and to other's points on HF, I first hung the hammock from the eyebolt. I'm sure there is an engineering term for it but its been 30 years ago now. The result was as if the attachment point was where the extrapolated angle of my suspension intersected the pipe - 3" beyond the attachment point to the tripod so I still had a slight bow upward in the pipe. Flipped it over (see pics) and no deflection at all. Spent another experimental night in my WBBB at 37 degrees (working out the kinks in staying warm, or too warm as the case may be) last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 76 of 320 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast