Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
    So the pole isn't taking any weight, it's just to keep the stands apart (without flexing too much) as I understand it.

Cheers guys
    Actually, the pole is there to take all the weight....But...to put the stresses and forces involved into a more managable calculation.

With the pole hanging from the 2 tripods, the inward forces are mitigated so the tripods are now able to take the inward pull that would normaly be between 2 trees and transform that force to just gravity pulling straight down(no inward pull on the tripods).

The pole needs to be structural enough to take some inward pulling. By hanging the hammock in-line with the cord holding the pole up to the center of tripods(hinge), you minimize the pressure put on the pole. Just don't use too small or too weak of a pole since there is still some forces trying to squeeze the pole at the connection to the hammock.

Good luck and take pics when complete.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    Would it be practical to share the tripod of a Turtledog Stand?

I've got 5 of us total that need to hang. 1 oversized Adult, and 4 kids. I was thinking of making a Ring of Turtledog Stands, with 5 tripods and 5 crossbars.

Would this be practical?

Also, for the Crossbar, would it be feasible to have that made out of 2 sections of 2x3, bolted together? (Instead of a huge metal pole)
    Sure. 4 years ago my scouts set up a 4 tripod set with poles run from the tops of one to another in a diamond perimeter set. We set 5 hammocks up this way on a football field while playing "security" for the local Relay for Life events. Great lashing practice for the boys and proved to everyone that hammocking trees are a convenience, not a necessity.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Images
    I finally got some pictures uploaded. Like most people, I used chain-link fence rail, 2x2 boards, and hinges. I wanted to combine leg support with storage capability, but couldn't come up with a good idea. I initially was looking at hard bracing that would become a shelf, but then I stumbled on something simpler and lighter: 550 cord run through the middle of each leg and tied off with a figure-8 on bight. It doesn't give me a shelf, but six attachment points is just as useful.

FYI, the shackle connecting to the hinge supports 800 lbs, the rope loop, made with a double fisherman's knot, connecting the shackle to the snap clip supports something like 1500 lbs, and the biner supports 1100 lbs, so I feel pretty safe in it. The 550 cord loop coming off of the eye bolt is just for hanging accessories; the hammock attaches directly to the eye bolt. When I disassemble it, I remove the shackle from the hinge; that way the legs fold flatter and I don't have to do any rope work during assembly.

Traveling from West to East, and from East to West.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images

Re: The TurtleDog stand

Quote Originally Posted by jmstallard View Post

I see a weak point that someone will point out, so I guess it might as well be me.

You are hanging your ridge pole via those end caps and nearly everyone acknowledges they are weak flimsy pot metal and most would not trust them for that. If I were you I'd suspend via your eye bolts. The end caps can make a handy place to attach your tarp.

But, you know... hyoh
    hfg
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I am pretty sure my truck bed is 6' and my stand goes in corner to corner, and just fits, with no room to spare......RR
    Likewise Roadrunner72. My top rail is two pieces, 6 & 1/2 foot by 5 & 1/2 foot. 2X2's are 6 & 1/2 foot. All fits corner to corner. Suspension is simple, no ropes or knots. Quick link through the hinge hooked to an eye bolt through the end of the top rail. Might use two quick links, makes hook up easier. Hammock suspension, loops or whoopies, just loop over the end of the top rail.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Chigger, are you on the list?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I see a weak point that someone will point out, so I guess it might as well be me.

You are hanging your ridge pole via those end caps and nearly everyone acknowledges they are weak flimsy pot metal and most would not trust them for that. If I were you I'd suspend via your eye bolts. The end caps can make a handy place to attach your tarp.

But, you know... hyoh
    hfg
    Huh...interesting point. Thanks.
    Traveling from West to East, and from East to West.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Well, my brother and I are #12 and 13 on the list and I just caught up on this post. That was a long task. We use zing-it to attach our ridgepole and we used some sort of heavy bathroom pipe on ours. I think that is why mine is a pain to lug around I also am not happy with the wood I used. One of the back legs bows. I've used it for over a year so it works fine, but I think I'm ready for round two. I'm going to go to our lumberyard and get the wood and then head to Lowe's to get the chain link top rail. Probably will get two and cut them up like hppyfngy did. Also going to cut some feet off my current one and possibly go down to a 4 foot ultra-portable/ indoor stand. I saw a guy using one of those out in the wild and never met him, but he was almost on the ground I wanna give that a try

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I don't believe that he is, and he has two turtledog stands.

By the way, enjoy your time up north.

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    YEP, ON THE LIST WITH 2. THINKING ABOUT HAVING THE OLDEST GRANDSON MAKE ONE FOR HIMSELF. if THAT GOES WELL WE WILL MAKE 2 MORE FOR HIS BROTHER AND SISTER.

• + New Posts
  • Page 145 of 320 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast