Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Here my three legged stand, using the Xterra has Second Anchor point. More photo's under trip Report

Hammock
    Waitin' on my new DH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20*F Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

The TurtleDog stand

So I'm new to the forum and I've been reading this thread alllllll day and my husband offered to make it for me! Looks like we'll be heading to Lowes tomorrow!

Now I just need my hammock and UQ to get here!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiC View Post
    So I'm new to the forum and I've been reading this thread alllllll day and my husband offered to make it for me! Looks like we'll be heading to Lowes tomorrow!
    I'm sure he needed a Labor Day project - why else would they call it "Labor" Day?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm sure he needed a Labor Day project - why else would they call it "Labor" Day?
    It sure beats last years labor day project. My brothers and me went to mom and dads and helped dad re- shingle his roof. Started on Mon early a.m. finished late p.m. and with rain starting. What a labor day that was.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Waitin' on my new DH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20*F Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Well, he managed to delay construction even though we went and bought the materials. It's all good though, he's currently working on some new fly fishing flies for me!

Has anyone tried using the aluminum ridge pole typically used for a traditional rainfly. It has thee sections and can be adjusted for length. Even comes with a hole predrilled at both ends where an eye bolt could be used to suspend the hammock. I've just finished reading thru this entire thread, but did not see it referenced.

Also wonder if the adjustable vertical risers could be used for the tripod and lashed together. I like the idea of them being able to break down to 4' lengths and are pretty light weight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Has anyone tried using the aluminum ridge pole typically used for a traditional rainfly. It has thee sections and can be adjusted for length. Even comes with a hole predrilled at both ends where an eye bolt could be used to suspend the hammock. I've just finished reading thru this entire thread, but did not see it referenced.

Also wonder if the adjustable vertical risers could be used for the tripod and lashed together. I like the idea of them being able to break down to 4' lengths and are pretty light weight.
    Those specific adjustable pieces may or may not be strong enough, but somebody has definitely made a version which breaks down into 4' lengths - see post #203 of this very thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...&postcount=203

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post

There's a lot of stress on the ridge pole. I did one where I lashed together three pieces of full length bamboo, just to play with the weight and it flexed quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Those specific adjustable pieces may or may not be strong enough, but somebody has definitely made a version which breaks down into 4' lengths - see post #203 of this very thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...&postcount=203
    This is the only one I've seen that breaks down to short lengths. Nothing light weight about it though...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

Ridge pole vs Legs

Artjrk,

Hi. You may enjoy scanning the Turtlelady Bamboo Stand thread.
    There I and others have detailed several experiments with the materials you are suggesting, ie, aluminum and conduit used for legs and for ridgepoles. Some experiments were fairly dramatic let downs!

My advice after much experimentation:

The ridge pole must withstand considerable compressive forces. I have not found lighter weight poles that have not let me down in this application. For the cost, ready availability, ease of cutting to size, available cheap connectors that work well in short segments the steel chain link fence top rails are hard to beat FOR THE RIDGEPOLE. One of my often used stands has the 10' ridgepole cut into 4 sections. Another has it cut into three segments. Most use the simpler 5' segments, when compactness is not an issue.

The LEGS can be more lightweight and use more variety of materials with some success if you are gentle with them. Your weight divided by six plus some dynamic load are the weight they must hold, which is much less than the compressive forces the ridge pole endures. I have successfully slept many nights using segmented aluminum tent poles for legs which were lashed together. See photos in that thread.

I recently acquired the canopy support system discussed in Turtledog thread #203. The 4' swagged segments of aluminum poles are stunningly wonderful in sturdiness and ease of use for the price. But the segments are heavy. They are appropriate for both Turtledog and Turtlelady stands. And for holding up booth signage very high in the air in my traveling festival face painting business! I love them.

For the record, the company near Harrisburg PA that sells those canopy support systems will sell the poles by the single segments.

TurtleLady

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    so umm has any one made a tarp that wraps around everything yet?

• + New Posts
  • Page 46 of 320 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast