Page 240 of 320 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 3191
    I have a 150 i was making my set and the big question for me was would my xl tarp fit between the two tripods with a pole that was going to be the same length. I made my pole a few feet longer so it allowed for adjustability for me to move tarp. This is also if i put the tarp across my bar however i tried my tarp under the bar and for me i like this better but still have a ridgeline tied to an eyebolt which is connect to middle leg of each tripod. The hammock work great i just thought your tarp liberty would be a big concern also.
    There's always a way around the trail Ogres.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhunterwnc View Post
    I have a 150 i was making my set and the big question for me was would my xl tarp fit between the two tripods with a pole that was going to be the same length. I made my pole a few feet longer so it allowed for adjustability for me to move tarp. This is also if i put the tarp across my bar however i tried my tarp under the bar and for me i like this better but still have a ridgeline tied to an eyebolt which is connect to middle leg of each tripod. The hammock work great i just thought your tarp liberty would be a big concern also.
    Thanks. For my fence pole I have another piece I am going to cut in half to make it a little longer. With that it will be over 15 ft. I have a double mayan that will need that length so I can get it off the ground. With that addition, I will have plenty of room to put a tarp over the pole.

This has been a fun project taking in everyone's ideas and making mine how I want it. Thanks turtlelady and olddog for coming up with this hanging system!

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I hoped it was clear that the original intent was to make a stand that took up as little floor space as possible and was stable. My stands have been such for me, but using them outdoors or on uneven terrain, well, a wider stance certainly does provide more stability.

HYOH
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I hoped it was clear that the original intent was to make a stand that took up as little floor space as possible and was stable. My stands have been such for me, but using them outdoors or on uneven terrain, well, a wider stance certainly does provide more stability.

HYOH
    No problem here. I like your design so much I decided to try it out. I thought the angle tops were very clever. Thought the three feet footprint would be good enough for me. It ended it up I am just too clumsy and needed the wider footprint. I still use your eyebolt and chainlink to hang the pole.

When it comes down to it I am just too fat and clumsy! Haha! Its all about experimenting and find out what works best for you!

Now I need to figure out how to hang a Jrb bridge on my TDS!

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    No problem here. I like your design so much I decided to try it out. I thought the angle tops were very clever. Thought the three feet footprint would be good enough for me. It ended it up I am just too clumsy and needed the wider footprint. I still use your eyebolt and chainlink to hang the pole.

When it comes down to it I am just too fat and clumsy! Haha! Its all about experimenting and find out what works best for you!

Now I need to figure out how to hang a Jrb bridge on my TDS!
    No, it's really a bit fiddly with the 3' footprint. You're not alone in thinking that!

You can hang a bridge, but you need a good bit longer ridgepole.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY/Blackbird XLC (soon)
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    HammockGear/Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just went out to Home Depot and got everything needed for the TDS, except the wood. I couldn't carry it easily so I'll just go back later this week. I was just curious though, would regular wood be ok, or is pressure treated better? I confess I don't really know much about this kind of thing... I don't mind paying extra if it'll hold up better in bad weather or anything, I just don't want to waste the money if regular untreated wood will be just fine.

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by ihavea4 View Post
    I just don't want to waste the money if regular untreated wood will be just fine.
    I used regular, untreated wood. HOWEVER, I stained and sealed the regular kiln dried pine so I could leave it outside this summer in Wisconsin's sun and rain. Worked just fine for me and looking forward to hanging in the TDS for many years to come.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies

The TurtleDog stand

Almost finished mine just need to decide how far up to drill the holes for the strings to keep the 2x2s from spreading. And also how I am going to connect the hammock. Don't like the way I had it in the pic. (Carabiners attached to end of pole) Thinking of installing some eyelets facing down on both sides right under the middle of all the 2x2s...

Hammock
    Night Owl
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator/BA Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and a loop.

Fence Rail Posts didn't hold up in the AZ Heat for me

I wish I took a picture of my stand before it failed on me. I build a turtledog stand following the instructions on here but I failed to trim the fence rail posts and had them too long. It worked great for my 11' hammock in the winter time, but as soon as I got it out into the summer heat, about 2-3 minutes after I got into it, I was slowly lowered to the ground with my pipe bent. =( I'm a big guy, and the Arizona sun it fairly hot. =)

I instead went with the 1.5" stainless steel pipe stand mentioned on one of Derek Hanson's posts (http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/p...ck-pipe-stand/.

It's a bit heavy, and cost me about $150 in pipe and connectors, but it works great. I was able to get everything from Home Depot and put it together in 20 minutes. For lighter people, the 1" pipe would probably work, but after my last experience I wan't to play it safe.

Another thing I would have done differently would be to get the Kee Klamp connectors instead of the threads. It is sometimes a pain to thread the pipes on campouts (and the threads can be sharp).

Hammock
    1.9 DL hk2001 custom
    Tarp
    MaccatDlx/Kelty12'
    Insulation
    AHE uq,Snugpak
    Suspension
    DIYWhoopies
    I finally made a TDS!
    I got the materials and brought them to FHV, I built it Saturday afternnon in the parking area at Doe Lake from the back of my suv. Went together great and I hung the double nest I got at the garage sale earlier that day. I tested it out and was really amazed how sturdy it is, if it will hold me, it'll hold anyone!(FYI I'm 382 lbs, but not for long)
    10407974_10153038966529725_3865913143816827728_n.jpg
    The next day I was going to tinker with it some more and set up my regular rig on it to sleep Sunday and Monday nights, but I had to leave Sunday with what turned out to be a gout attack in my ankle.
    Yesterday I set it up again and did some more fiddling and took some more pics. I can't wait to try this out on an overnight.
    DSCN1866.jpgDSCN1867.jpgDSCN1868.jpgDSCN1869.jpgDSCN1870.jpg
    Last edited by DiverJim242; 01-26-2015 at 11:38.
    “We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

• + New Posts
  • Page 240 of 320 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290 ... LastLast