Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I was able to find 1-1/2" in white at Home Depot. They go on without too much fuss. My 2x's were right at 1-1/2" square with slightly rounded shoulders.

In black I could only find 1-1/4". The last stand I made was stained dark so I used those by cutting in a shoulder and trimming off the excess. Don't have a pic of that but it worked.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Rain Man, ... I don't see how you're doing 25' unless you have a real shallow angle, and that adds a lot of stress on the component parts.
    My eyebolts are quite high. I had to use a step ladder to install them, as I wanted a decent angle of hang. Also, this is one reason I use lengths of chains on each end (because I can't reach the eyebolts themselves easily). When hanging my Hennessey temporarily, I can attach its whoopies to the chains, not directly to the trees. (Though the real reason I use chains is because my Pawley's Island hammock stays out all summer, and if I used rope to hang it, the rope would eventually rot.)

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    My eyebolts are quite high. I had to use a step ladder to install them, as I wanted a decent angle of hang. Also, this is one reason I use lengths of chains on each end (because I can't reach the eyebolts themselves easily). When hanging my Hennessey temporarily, I can attach its whoopies to the chains, not directly to the trees. (Though the real reason I use chains is because my Pawley's Island hammock stays out all summer, and if I used rope to hang it, the rope would eventually rot.)

Rain Man

Oh good, so that makes sense. Also may help me as I have a lot of trees but none of them are closer than about 30' from each other. I might have to rig up something like that.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies

a couple of pictures

Here's a couple of pictures of the ones my brother and I made. I want to take mine back apart, sand it, paint it, and seal it, but I won't have time for that for awhile. The first pic is at a Chick-Fil-A first 100 event where we received a lot of attention for being the only hammock campers. The second is mine set up in my room.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    I will be going to the hardware store tonight to get some supplies for this project

Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps
    I am a noob to the "hang" and here on HF, but have become very close to becoming obsessed with the notion of a portable hammock stand. I haven't read ALL of this thread, but have loved the DIYs and pictures and ideas -- I'm *this close* to running over to Home Depot and getting my DIY on. I have perused the internet for the bipod and tripod setups, particularly in the event that you have only ONE tree/post to hang on and need the portable stand to make the hang work.

Question...
    Has anyone thought of using the aluminum square tubes? I wanna say I saw 8' and 6" 2"x2" aluminum tubes... or maybe they were 1x1s (which would be too wimpy to use)???

I know that wood is gonna be cheaper, but i was thinking the aluminum might be lighter and more durable in the long run... but what do I know?

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    So it seems like everyone is doing around 7ft support poles and around 11ft cross bar?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    So it seems like everyone is doing around 7ft support poles and around 11ft cross bar?
    I think closer to 6 feet is probably where most are but it is much better to start too tall and trim down. Super glue and duct tape have their limits

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peteypk View Post
    Has anyone thought of using the aluminum square tubes? I wanna say I saw 8' and 6" 2"x2" aluminum tubes... or maybe they were 1x1s (which would be too wimpy to use)???

I know that wood is gonna be cheaper, but i was thinking the aluminum might be lighter and more durable in the long run... but what do I know?
    Wood is cheap, easy to work with and readily available. These stands aren't made for hiking, but to be portable as in taking it in a car or truck so weight was never a big issue for me. Would aluminum work? Surely it would.

Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    The ridge pole I use is a top rail for chain link fencing. It's 126" total length including about a 4" section that inserts into the other piece where they couple. So more like 10'6" including the end caps. Some have found various ways to make this longer to better accommodate a tarp. Mine stands about 6', but is made from 8' pieces, so make it as tall as you like.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Oh good, so that makes sense. Also may help me as I have a lot of trees but none of them are closer than about 30' from each other. I might have to rig up something like that.
    My wife has a hand-held clinometer that she measures roof pitch with in her work sometimes. I asked her to measure the angle of my chains from horizontal this morning. They were exactly 30 degrees.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 320 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast