GT SBP
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    DIY Woobie UQ
    Suspension
    Stock

Question Top rail question

Hey everyone. Another top rail question.

I've spent quite a bit of time going over the the thread, however with it being so long it gets a little overwhelming and difficult to find something I *think* I may have read. That's my long way of saying if this has been covered already, I apologize. :-)

I have built the stand, though I haven't tried to hang in it yet. I am a big guy (300#) so I am concerned with having a sufficient top rail. (I built the tripods with 2x4s.) Instead of using a fence rail or EMT, I opted for galvanized pipe. So I purchased two 5-foot sections of 1" galvanized pipe and a coupler. However, when I tightened them up, they don't look very well connected. It looks like it only tightened maybe half-way down the threaded section on each pipe.

So a few questions:
    1) Do you think the 5' sections should work, or do you think I should really try to get 6' pieces (like bundy71 did)?
    2) Do you need to use a wrench to tighten the pipe/coupler/pipe? I hand-tightened it as much as I could and it does not look very tight.
    3) Am I off-base with the galvanized pipe? It looks like EMT is less expensive, so should I maybe try to get two 6' pieces of 1" or 1-1/2" EMT (with a 3/4" or 1", respectively, reinforcement in the middle)? The galvanized pipe is pretty beefy and looks like it could do some damage if it came down on me. On the other hand, EMT looks like it wouldn't hold as well (though I know it has worked for a lot of you).

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Gee

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Yes, you are a little curious. (couldn't resist...)

No reason a swing set wouldn't work. Unless you cut the legs down the rail will be pretty high though. You'll need a bit more length to get the hangle you want.

Lots of stands of the "otherwise discarded" variety have been used. Not sure what you have that's "light weight" though. Got a picture?

It is true I suppose I meant that the swing set may be light enough of a weight that it could still be portable. I am still waiting on a top rail, and am going to have to fiddle with the length I am sure to find the right fit my gear. the pieces come in 21' lengths so that gives me lots of room to work with. If he ends up finding an old swing set I may give it a try and see. it can not be a bad thing to have more than one stand I figure
    Last edited by Barlutti; 10-02-2012 at 22:58.
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barlutti View Post
    It is true I suppose I meant that the swing set may be light enough of a weight that it could still be portable. I am still waiting on a top rail, and am going to have to fiddle with the length I am sure to find the right fit my gear. the pieces come in 21' lengths so that gives me lots of room to work with. If he ends up finding an old swing set I may give it a try and see. ecan no tbe a bad thing to have more than one stand I figure
    This is the one I use every night.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35273
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post

Nice work olddog , that looks great. And comfy My first will be a lot more rough looking But it gives me a much better idea of what to look for, thanks
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Pics coming after we get the top rail cut and installed, promise

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by gee something View Post

I've spent quite a bit of time going over the the thread, however with it being so long it gets a little overwhelming and difficult to find something I *think* I may have read. That's my long way of saying if this has been covered already, I apologize. :-)

I have built the stand, though I haven't tried to hang in it yet. I am a big guy (300#) so I am concerned with having a sufficient top rail. (I built the tripods with 2x4s.) Instead of using a fence rail or EMT, I opted for galvanized pipe. So I purchased two 5-foot sections of 1" galvanized pipe and a coupler. However, when I tightened them up, they don't look very well connected. It looks like it only tightened maybe half-way down the threaded section on each pipe.

So a few questions:
    1) Do you think the 5' sections should work, or do you think I should really try to get 6' pieces (like bundy71 did)?
    2) Do you need to use a wrench to tighten the pipe/coupler/pipe? I hand-tightened it as much as I could and it does not look very tight.
    3) Am I off-base with the galvanized pipe? It looks like EMT is less expensive, so should I maybe try to get two 6' pieces of 1" or 1-1/2" EMT (with a 3/4" or 1", respectively, reinforcement in the middle)? The galvanized pipe is pretty beefy and looks like it could do some damage if it came down on me. On the other hand, EMT looks like it wouldn't hold as well (though I know it has worked for a lot of you).

-Gee
    I hang indoors at 10' with no problem but there is not enough room for my tarp. Outdoors I go 12' or 14' depending on the tarp I use. I would use a wrench to tighten the pipe and get in slowly to test the coupling on the galvanized pipe.The EMT may work fine I'm 220# with very little flex(I use 1") just make sure your suspension is connected as close to point of connection of the top rail to stand as you can manage.

Good luck and maybe wear a hard hat just in case.

Mike

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Tarp
    HF 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Old dog, you can add me to the list. I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought everything. I spent the afternoon cutting the angles and attaching to the hinges. I'll have my hammock hanging tonight.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...Instead of using a fence rail or EMT, I opted for galvanized pipe. So I purchased two 5-foot sections of 1" galvanized pipe and a coupler. However, when I tightened them up, they don't look very well connected. It looks like it only tightened maybe half-way down the threaded section on each pipe....
    The threads on galvanized pipe are tapered and intended to seal against water leaks rather than to add rigidity and will not go in very far. Use two pipe wrenches to snug it up. Or better yet, switch to the easier to use fence rails that don't require tools to setup/take down.

10' will work, but longer gives you better tarp options and additional flexibility for setting up hammocks of different styles and lengths.

So a few questions:

-Gee
    If I remember correctly, someone here, fairly recently had a failure with the threaded pipe and coupler, it broke at the threads when he got in the hammock. The fence top rail is much stronger than it looks and works well.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images

So a few questions:

-Gee
    In addition to what the others have already said I would add that if you are careful to get the spot where the pipe is suspended and the spot where your hammock is suspended as close together as possible that will minimize the bending forces on the pipe and the result will be mostly compression force.

I don't know if I've described it very well think of trying to break a pencil (or better yet a longer piece of similar thickness dowel). Attach one end of the dowel to something fixed and hold the other end with your fingers. If you try to bend the dowel to the breaking point with your other hand by pushing very closely to either end then it will be very difficult. As you move the pushing point towards the middle you will soon begin to bend the dowel and as you get closer to the middle you'll be able to easily break it. (I'm not sure that helped either )

I've added the most recent two to the list (I'll edit my most recent post of the list)

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

• + New Posts
  • Page 62 of 320 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast