Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Great show and tell hpyfngy. Have you tried setting all of them up as a multiple in a square or triangle? Like to see a picture of that.
    OD, I don't really have a good reason to do that but if I do try a multi-hammock-stand arrangement, I'll certainly take pictures.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Smile TurtleDog stands finished

You can add ThreeD and me to the stand club. We made a couple and love them. He wants his in his bedroom now We made the legs 6'-6" high and the ridge line poles the same. It gives enough space between stands to easily use our HH hex tarps with them on the pole. Seems to work well. I then took the fall off pieces and without having to buy a coupler i took three pieces and made a set that is exactly the length need for ThreeD to hook his expedition from the descender rings to the stand with carabiners. Makes it quick and easy to set up around the yard/house for him.

Here is a couple pics of him using it in the living room. In the third pic you can see I took the prusik out on the head end to give it that foot high feel we all love. It seems to work really well and makes the feel more like I enjoy it when out camping. When using I will probably double up the prusik on the foot end instead of hanging on just the fixed loop without a prusik.

huauqui
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by huauqui; 09-13-2012 at 11:19. Reason: additional information

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Originally Posted by olddog
    The question was posed by old4hats about the number of turtledog stands that had been built. Went back and reviewed a few threads, the Turtlelady stand, the TurtleDog stand and a thread by domromer. Here is what I was able to find and assume that there may be others.

#1- Olddog
    #2- flashbang009
    #3- hppyfngy, with first angled ends
    #4- linuxhack
    #5- mys4sllc
    #6- samsara
    #7- letstieoneon
    #8- Cole
    #9- Fontana Horseman
    #10 & #11- olzeke and wife
    #12 & #13- CamRuns and brother
    #14- carmen2kayak
    #15- Troy64
    #16- Throkda
    #17- OldMart
    #18- Spiffguy
    #19- Aven
    #20- hppyfngy for nephew
    #21- Mundele
    #22- meanmoe
    #23- Chuck Gravy
    #24- spinkid
    #25- samsara's daughter, version 2.0
    #26- old4hats
    #27- CptAhmadKnackwurst
    #28- Fish<><
    #29- Shortbus
    #30- Clarinath
    #31- Silvertitan
    #32- NoahWhey
    #33- trhang
    #34- TheKid
    #35- Suburban
    #36- gp_griz
    #37- Sidewinder
    #38- wattson
    #39- thehappymailman
    #40- Datahiker
    #41-#43- seadad9903
    #44- samsara (another TD 2.0)
    #45- Roadrunnr72
    #46- RePete (sort of )
    #47- Rampant
    #48- duallain
    #49- Jiffiboy
    #50- ohiohiker
    #51- Kyle6357
    #52- sandpiper
    #53- gmcpcs
    #54- Sweeper
    #55- Shotgunred
    #56- TZBrown
    #57- Jrprince
    #58- Rodewin
    #59- AT4ever
    #60 & 61- ironfish77
    #63, 64, 65 hppyfngy - one for yard and two more nephews.
    #66- NikkiC!!
    #67-huauqui
    #68-ThreeD
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Turtledog from the ceiling

I don't think I ever posted the pictures for this or not, but about 2 years ago I hung a 10 foot 2"x4" from the beams on my back deck. I drilled holes near the ends to attach the hammock lines and just dropped lines down to the holes from eye bolts in the beams. It was essentially aTurtledog stand without the tri-pods but hung from the ceiling. Worked pretty nice for testing setups and a few naps.
    I have sinced moved and now find myself considering the metal pole strategy that everyone seems to have refined for my new setup. Anyone setting up like this? It really opens the options in location since the total force the connections have to hold is just the gravity load.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    WVasello, I'm not sure I understand what your question is.

If I can define a TurtleDog Stand, I'd say it's two tripods assembled using hinges, with a rigid ridge pole, often made to be portable.

A TurtleLady Stand is basically the same only primarily made of lighter material like bamboo and usually lashed together.

The metal pole came about because OldDog came up with the fence rail that can be cut in half and fitted into itself, making it more portable because it breaks down into two more or less 5' pieces.

Nearly all these TD stands use a metal pole for the ridge pole.

I think I said all that about right.

Now what was your question again?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that he's just talking about using a pole/board to handle the compression forces and not have to worry about pulling your walls down. It's a great way of being able to get a hang site anywhere since it is easier to deal with the gravity part than having a structure that is built sound enough for the compression part of the forces caused by a hammock. I'm getting a bit confused just reading what I wrote but... hopefully it makes enough sense.

I've been thinking the same thing myself since becoming a TD fanatic. The beauty (and "aha!" moment) was when turtlelady taught me that there are the two forces (for the most part) involved in hammock hanging (compression and gravity) and you can fairly easily solve the compression part of it using the pole in the middle.

I think that is what he was talking about.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    WVasello, I'm not sure I understand what your question is.

If I can define a TurtleDog Stand, I'd say it's two tripods assembled using hinges, with a rigid ridge pole, often made to be portable.

A TurtleLady Stand is basically the same only primarily made of lighter material like bamboo and usually lashed together.

The metal pole came about because OldDog came up with the fence rail that can be cut in half and fitted into itself, making it more portable because it breaks down into two more or less 5' pieces.

Nearly all these TD stands use a metal pole for the ridge pole.

I think I said all that about right.

Now what was your question again?
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I think you're right Dave.

I got stuck on :

Anyone setting up like this?
    And I couldn't get past it...

But yes, the ridge pole handles the compression/horizontal forces and all you have to do is suspend it somehow. Maybe "with your mind" as AS used to...

I tried wvasello idea of suspending a 10' bar from one of beams in my screen porch. I haven't built the tripods yet at least this way I could test out the bar. I was hoping to develop a bar that could also be used as two 5' upright poles that could be staked out with the hammock between. I used a combination of 1 1/4" pvc with 1" pvc nested inside. This worked for the upright poles. Not so good for the horizontal beam. I dven tried adding 1" wooden dowel in the center of the beam. Still not anywhere close. As I slowly added my 225# self, the beam quickly started to bow upward. It does work fine for my 85# 11 year old. (he plans to sleep there tonight to test my new PLUQ.)

The on thing I am noticing through my testing and the descriptions other are saying, there is more than just linear compression on the horizontal beam. How much there is I don't know. I studied art in college not engineering.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

samsara straightened it out

hppyfngy,
    samsara basicly explained my setup better than I did. I used the 2x4 for the same reasons that TurtleLady did. The poles on my back deck were not strong enough to support the compression loads (they were hollow metal) and I needed to position the hammock a bit better under the deck overhang. So my only option was to drop the lines from the beam and use the wood as a very long spreader bar. I used the 2x4 because I had it in the garage.
    I have moved into an apartment with questionable construction, so I need to reduce the stress that any type of attachment point would apply. And my thought was that using the 2 piece pole method for the bar would allow me to hang the bar from the ceiling while I'm home. (and save me the precious space that I have so little of in an apartment) Then break it down and toss it in the car with some of the Turtledog Tripods for road trips.

I guess my question boils down to if anyone is hanging the pole directly from the ceiling for indoor use. Rather than using the tripods.
    And I guess a second question of, other than the straight forward question of the beams holding up, is there any other unexpected issues that have surfaced with this method.

Found my posting with pictures

I found my posting that shows some pictures. Maybe this will clear up the somewhat muddy description.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=17064

• + New Posts
  • Page 50 of 320 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast