Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    There is absolutely zero horizontal pull on the tripods with the hammock suspended correctly. Add a tarp, and there is nothing but horizontal pull. It's physics, my dear Watson

To rig a tarp successfully, a line from the top of the tripod to a ground stake must be added. The stake (a beefy one) should be in line with the hammock. That line will counteract the horizontal force of the tarp tension
    Incorrect, my dear Watson, I have my tarp rigged to the ridgepole. Of course I don't have my hammock attached to the end cap, but do use it for the tarp. When hanging the tarp, I find that I do need to hold the ridgepole while pulling the tarp ridgeline tight. But once I have that, then the rest is easy easy.

Not saying that you can't add the extra guy, it's just not needed if you attach to the ridgepole. I was thinking about winter camping and wanting to lower the tarp, then I may have to hook to a stand leg, and add a guy. I have already planed for a guyline to help stablize the stand in high winds. It's not bad until you add the sail (hammock) to it.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Here is a pic of the end, the larger (amsteel) is the hammock and the smaller(zing-it) is the tarp.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Incorrect, my dear Watson, I have my tarp rigged to the ridgepole. Of course I don't have my hammock attached to the end cap, but do use it for the tarp. When hanging the tarp, I find that I do need to hold the ridgepole while pulling the tarp ridgeline tight. But once I have that, then the rest is easy easy.
    I have to agree with Sherlock....I mean Roadrnnr72:thumb up:

I too have my tarp directly to the end cap and the whole setup is rock solid. I do like the "toggle" through the ridgepole for the hammock attachment. I may add this since I am switching to whoopies.

I have left my hammock set up all day in a heavy wind and the tarp made the whole setup stay put!!

Last edited by harleynemo; 09-29-2012 at 19:34. Reason: add a thought:)

Commit your ways to the LORD and He shall direct your path
    (Proverbs 3:5) ........which is good, because I like to walk down lots of paths.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll try to give that a try this week. I'm doing trail maintenance tomorrow so the stand will have to wait.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Another way is to use a long ridgepole and lash it to the back tripod leg. this allows the tarp lines to be attached to the leg. Notice that the ridgepole must still be suspended as usual from the tripod.

The end caps do seem to be the more elegant solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harleynemo View Post
    I have to agree with Sherlock....I mean Roadrnnr72:thumb up:

I too have my tarp directly to the end cap and the whole setup is rock solid. I do like the "toggle" through the ridgepole for the hammock attachment. I may add this since I am switching to whoopies.

I have left my hammock set up all day in a heavy wind and the tarp made the whole setup stay put!!

I like the end cap, it helps "clean" up the look, but
    I don't like the look of the end cap to hang off of.

Old gringo made the comment earlier in this thread, and I agree, I am not trusting them to hang off. I haven't heard of anyone breaking one........yet. But I do know, I don't have to worry about mine. Another thing, with my hammock and the toprail suspension right next to each other, there is little to no flex in the ridgepole.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Yeah, I almost wore a hard hat last night.

I think I'm good now. Sir Isaac Newton can't touch this...

Jax, It looks to my eye like you should take an inch off the bottom of the short legs, the outside legs. Not 100% sure but from the angles in the pictures it's just a smidge too vertical for my liking. Don't take it off the top or you'll screw up the angle or have to move the hinge, neither will make you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    There is absolutely zero horizontal pull on the tripods with the hammock suspended correctly. Add a tarp, and there is nothing but horizontal pull. It's physics, my dear Watson

To rig a tarp successfully, a line from the top of the tripod to a ground stake must be added. The stake (a beefy one) should be in line with the hammock. That line will counteract the horizontal force of the tarp tension.

Mike, do you mean horizontal as in "in line" with the length of the ridge pole?

I think it all depends on what you're attaching the tarp to. If you use a longer ridge pole, like some of these are, and you're just attaching the tarp to the end caps, that only aids in compression of the ridge pole. Of course there are other forces from side tie outs, but I just got home from a long weekend and I don't really know why I'm trying to think right now........

Never mind! I'll check back in tomorrow...

hfg
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I like the end cap, it helps "clean" up the look, but
    I don't like the look of the end cap to hang off of.

Old gringo made the comment earlier in this thread, and I agree, I am not trusting them to hang off. I haven't heard of anyone breaking one........yet. But I do know, I don't have to worry about mine. Another thing, with my hammock and the toprail suspension right next to each other, there is little to no flex in the ridgepole.
    I'll grant ya that end cap might be a weak point, and I don't blame anyone who doesn't trust it.

But I've been hanging from mine for, what is it nearly a year now? And no failures on it or the other 4 I've built. Anybody have a failure? Olddog?

Given, I only weigh 180#.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Hey all, just to clarify one thing, even though I am mentally challenged by a lot of driving...

My reason for building a TD stand, and my original interest in the TL stand was to have something portable that I could take with me and set up in somebody's house when visiting, or in the yard. Or inside my house, where it's been in daily use. So I had reason to keep the footprint as small as I could.

That's how I came up with the angles on the ends like they are, because it allowed me to keep my stand only about 38" wide at the base, and having the forces more vertical, it has much less tendency to spread under load on it's own. Especially with rubber feet.

This was important to me for portability, space, and for indoor use.

Maybe the backyard version should be larger and more versatile. And have that wider Sumo stance.

The variations we've seen on the original stand, which was a take on another idea, (if I may say so, olddog,) are all great but probably not "one stand suits all" solutions. These big back yard ones are kind of different critters than what I was going for originally.

If you don't have a relatively flat space to set up your stand, the angles of mine might be too steep for you. Use it as a jumping off place and design yours accordingly.

Or if anyone would like help with the math, I'd be glad to make another wider Samurai version with angled tops.

Maybe we need a HppySumoTD stand. Oh, I don't think so.

Okay then.

edit: I meant Sumo... I told you I was tired...
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 10-01-2012 at 12:40.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    ...Maybe we need a HppySamuraiTD stand. Oh, I don't think so...
    Hmmm...drop the Hppy and you're left with an STD. Try explaining that to the better half.

• + New Posts
  • Page 60 of 320 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast