HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    Nicely done!
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ENO Pronest
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 Zeppelin
    Forgive me if this has been asked. 84 pages is intimidating. What are the dimensions of the footprint?
    It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    mine is right at 14ft x around 4ft. heed warning, anything too much skinnier will land you on the ground. the length varies based on top pipe length.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Starting to piece mine together (only got one hand for another two weeks). What are feelings on pole end caps vs. eye bolts? The aluminum end caps look weak but plenty of folks use them. Eye bolts require some drilling but look more functional. I cant make up my mind!!

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    mine is right at 14ft x around 4ft. heed warning, anything too much skinnier will land you on the ground. the length varies based on top pipe length.
    My stands, and I'm working on the 7th and 8th right now, have a footprint just about 38" wide. I haven't had any problems with them except on very uneven ground, but mine are primarily used indoors. The wider stance might be more stable outside but I use one outside all the time without any issues. I think they're only unstable if you're on a slope or you're trying to make a swing out of it, which it's not! Potentially dangerous if it falls on you. HYOH

Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Starting to piece mine together (only got one hand for another two weeks). What are feelings on pole end caps vs. eye bolts? The aluminum end caps look weak but plenty of folks use them. Eye bolts require some drilling but look more functional. I cant make up my mind!!
    End caps work fine although some don't like them because they are made of cheap pot metal. My oldest stand is over a year old and I use it daily with no issues. I weigh 180#.
    That being said, I have started using the eye bolt on new stands for a couple of reasons. One: I can hang it from a simple "S" hook and it's very strong, and B: It creates a stopper for the dogbone attachment I'm using now. Keeps the hammock weight directly under the attachment point and makes a very stable stand. Both work. HYOH
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 11-28-2012 at 10:28.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I chose the eye bolt method just because it would allow to hook my whoopies directly over the pipe... I just cut a few strips of inner tube off my daughter's old tube and use it to protect the whoopie from the threads...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...What are feelings on pole end caps vs. eye bolts? The aluminum end caps look weak but plenty of folks use them. Eye bolts require some drilling but look more functional. I cant make up my mind!!
    None of the above is always an option...IMG_3099 (Medium).JPG

Although I don't recommend the Dutch clip for this purpose. Just pass the strap through it's end loop to larks head it. The piece of bicycle inner tube guarantees it won't slip.

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    My stands, and I'm working on the 7th and 8th right now, have a footprint just about 38' wide.
    38 feet wide??!?!?! Holy crap, that must be some industrial sized stand. I'll bet if you worked at it you could get it down to less than 10% of that figure.

What are feelings on pole end caps vs. eye bolts? The aluminum end caps look weak but plenty of folks use them. Eye bolts require some drilling but look more functional. I cant make up my mind!!
    I don't use either. I hang a looped piece of rope from the hinge using a shackle and prusik it to the pole. Then I use another rope that hangs directly behind the prusik knot that then attaches to the descender rings on my hammock.

Easy setup if you don't mind the open ends of the pole and puts the weight almost as close to directly below the hang point as Happy Fun Guy's eye bolt setup but is faster and easier for me to take apart and store in the ski bag I use when I put it away. Plus gives infinite attachment points along the pipe to allow for the 30* hang angle with different length hammocks. Simply move the stands so the hanging attachment point is directly below the apex of the stand depending on where along the pole the attachment point needs to be.

I cut my pole into roughly 6 foot and 4 foot sections, so if I ever need to I can cut a second pole into 7 foot and 3 foot sections allowing many different combinations from very short to very long.
    Last edited by jaitch; 11-28-2012 at 10:26.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaitch View Post
    38 feet wide??!?!?! Holy crap, that must be some industrial sized stand.
    Well, I'm skinny but I'm pretty tall.

That would have been inches if I had had my coffee by then...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 84 of 320 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast