Artjrk,
You are on to my next thought which was to lighten up the pole required. The 2x4 I originally used was positioned with the 4" width vertical. This put the stresses along the strongest plane of the beam. So I did not see much bend. But weight wasn't an issue then.
I have been kicking around the idea of an ultra light portable stand since, until recently, it was illegal to hang in the state parks of Fl. In a few other threads we have kicked around a few ideas on crafty staking methods and vertical poles. It was discussed that the most viable option would likely included some type of rigid ridgeline to deal with some/most of the compressive forces. But nothing really has panned out that I noticed.
I am thinking however, that some type of tensegrity setup that puts the ridgeline back into direct compression is a possibility. It might also be possible to put some suspension lines in place that pull the ridgeline down as your weight is applied to the hammock.
Just tossing ideas out. Maybe best to start a seperate thread for the UL version of this stand.
(and although I am an engineer, I didn't bother with the force analysis on any designs thus far. Once the designs get closer to the hairy edge of maximum load, maybe a few calcs will be in order)