1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    My first set of hinges were thin, from HD or Lowes. Went to the local Ace Hardware and they had some thicker and a little longer hinge. I drilled new holes to match and have no issues.........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Images
    This is a great stand, very innovative and has a lot of advantages like portability and ease of construction.

But I'm having problems getting it to work right with an HH Explorer (bottom opening). The hang is very low even with a 13' ridge pole (1-3/8" fence toprail). Makes it very uncomfortable to get in, and messes up tripod legs every time. The pic in post #1033 is my wife hanging, I had to run back and forth between tripods as she was getting in. She's about 3 inches off the ground. Tried several things and different hardware to raise pole, also to extend hook points on pole by adding the end caps, but found I was fighting against myself trying to find the right spot - no room under the hinges and between the poles.

Wanted this stand for a camp trip in two weeks. I've run outta time so I think I'll go back to my other stand the 2x4 portable hammock stand (have a TrailH4x's variant) until we figure something out.

Lost count of money after blowing through $60 trying to get this to work. Could try longer tripod legs (~$15), longer ridgepole (~$20), new hammock ($$$$) - that's my favorite solution .

Just wanted to share this with y'all, to compare notes with other HH owners and to get some input on ideas. Then I can revisit the project when I'm not up against the clock.

Still, overall this is a great idea! Thanks!!

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    Well nobody can say you have a bad attitude about it.

I noted that your hang didn't look right when you posted. I don't have a HH so I can't speak to how it can be done. Can't quite tell how you've suspended it from the picture either.

When I made my first one I hung an 11' diy on it. I solved the suspension problem by running whoopies through the connectors on the end caps, back to meet in the middle via a biner.
    Seen here:

Later on I found I could just take a short dogbone and replace my suspension in about two minutes, and just hang the dogbone right over the ridge pole.

Don't know what you're going to come up with but maybe some HH owners will chime in.

Good Luck!
    hfg
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have an Explorer Deluxe with bottom entry. At 13' I get it to hang quite nicely about 18" off the ground. How tall are your legs on the stands?
    One thing I notice in your pic, the ends of your hammock come right to the ends of the pole. The hammock is only 11' long. Are you sure the stands are 13' apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    This is a great stand, very innovative and has a lot of advantages like portability and ease of construction.

But I'm having problems getting it to work right with an HH Explorer (bottom opening). The hang is very low even with a 13' ridge pole (1-3/8" fence toprail). Makes it very uncomfortable to get in, and messes up tripod legs every time. The pic in post #1033 is my wife hanging, I had to run back and forth between tripods as she was getting in. She's about 3 inches off the ground. Tried several things and different hardware to raise pole, also to extend hook points on pole by adding the end caps, but found I was fighting against myself trying to find the right spot - no room under the hinges and between the poles.

Wanted this stand for a camp trip in two weeks. I've run outta time so I think I'll go back to my other stand the 2x4 portable hammock stand (have a TrailH4x's variant) until we figure something out.

Lost count of money after blowing through $60 trying to get this to work. Could try longer tripod legs (~$15), longer ridgepole (~$20), new hammock ($$$$) - that's my favorite solution .

Just wanted to share this with y'all, to compare notes with other HH owners and to get some input on ideas. Then I can revisit the project when I'm not up against the clock.

Just from the picture, it looks like your top rail is a few inches below the hinges. You can hang it up close to the hinges and get a few more inches off the ground pretty easy. I don't know the length of the tripod legs, but longer ones will definitely give more ground clearance.

Hammock
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Images
    Roadrunnr72 - you may already know this... found two different 4" hinges at Lowes, one was a "regular" hinge (I didn't get that one) and the other was a "heavy" which had thicker plates than the regular, somewhere between 1/16"-3/32".

NWOHanger - Thanks for the response. My tripods are 75" & 72 1/4" similar to what is shown on this thread. Liked them, they make sense to me so that was what I built. I'm sure the limiter strings work just fine but I wanted to use as few "parts" as possible. Also, my pole is ~13'-4" end-to-end.

hppyfngy - Thanks for the quick response and the compliment!

Did another set-up after getting y'alls responses. It worked the way I think it's supposed to. Originally had the pole hanging from hinge on spring clasp, then 6" turn-buckle, then to 3" eye-bolt. Cut off 1" from pole ends, removed turnbuckle, tightened nut on eye-bolt till eye rested on pole. Then set-up tripods, pole, and hammock. Attached hammock directly to pole, instead of using tree-hugger slings like first set-up (should have seen that one). Ran hammock fly on top of pole. This worked for me very well. Also eliminated some of the hardware.

Still need to tweak a few things. Need a way to protect the hammock cord as it passes over the pole and behind the eye-bolt. No sharp edges, I'm sure it will be fine for short runs, but thinking a small piece of rubber tubing to slip the cord through it. Gonna cut off another 1" on each end of pole, about where the small hole is in Pic 1, pole almost touches tripod leg. Also need to trim the hinge bolts. And finally gonna attach paracord loops on tripod legs for stakes. Didn't need them while hanging (on the second try) but will feel better leaving the campsite knowing tripods are anchored.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Privateer; 01-29-2013 at 13:02. Reason: Post Edit - Sorry for sideways pics!

Hammock
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Images
    NWOHanger - Hammock is 1' off ground in pic. It prolly would be higher if I tied it tighter. When you set up your HH do you start with the hammock mostly in horizontal position? Or with a little slack?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I pull mine as tight as possible. I find it most comfortable that way.

Hammock
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Images
    Ok, good to know. That means my HH ridgeline will be just below and parallel to the pole, pulled as tight as can be. If I would have done that today, my hammock would be nearer the 18" you mentioned. I just gotta watch that pole when getting in and out..

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Yep, that oughtta do it.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts