Hey everyone. Another top rail question.

I've spent quite a bit of time going over the the thread, however with it being so long it gets a little overwhelming and difficult to find something I *think* I may have read. That's my long way of saying if this has been covered already, I apologize. :-)

I have built the stand, though I haven't tried to hang in it yet. I am a big guy (300#) so I am concerned with having a sufficient top rail. (I built the tripods with 2x4s.) Instead of using a fence rail or EMT, I opted for galvanized pipe. So I purchased two 5-foot sections of 1" galvanized pipe and a coupler. However, when I tightened them up, they don't look very well connected. It looks like it only tightened maybe half-way down the threaded section on each pipe.

So a few questions:
1) Do you think the 5' sections should work, or do you think I should really try to get 6' pieces (like bundy71 did)?
2) Do you need to use a wrench to tighten the pipe/coupler/pipe? I hand-tightened it as much as I could and it does not look very tight.
3) Am I off-base with the galvanized pipe? It looks like EMT is less expensive, so should I maybe try to get two 6' pieces of 1" or 1-1/2" EMT (with a 3/4" or 1", respectively, reinforcement in the middle)? The galvanized pipe is pretty beefy and looks like it could do some damage if it came down on me. On the other hand, EMT looks like it wouldn't hold as well (though I know it has worked for a lot of you).

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Gee