Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images

TurtleDog 2.0!

Ok, it's not exactly finished to the level that I wanted (I wanted to stain it and sew a spreader limiter shelf out of some stout cloth and gros grain for storage) but here is the larger version of the TurtleDog stand that I built for my daughter to hang her big mayan hammock from (she is planning on sleeping full time in her hammock... we'll see).

Here are the differences from the normal TurtleDog stand:
    • I overbuilt it because it is for my daughter to sleep in full time and portability is secondary (but useful). I used 2x3's for the front two legs and the solitary back leg I used a 2x4 so that I could put all 4 bolts through the board and hinge
    • I left the boards as long as possible for height (it's a big and long hammock)
    • I put the cross pipe ON TOP of the tripod (see photos) for more height
    • I used end caps... not for suspension directly but for holding the pipe firmly in place and for keeping the suspension loop from sliding to the middle of the pole (see photos)

I also did the hppyfngy method for spread limiting with rope backup on the legs (edit: I didn't include this in the bullet points above because I consider the hppyfngy mod to be a normal option of the TurtleDog stand). The legs are spread apart a bit more than I would prefer but it is rock solid and I don't think I'll change anything. We'll see how it goes when she does more nights on it. It is much more substantial due to the larger lumber but it is still easily movable and fits inside my Corolla.

The money quote of the day from my daughter, while she was laying in her hammock in the stand... "you know what dad? I really appreciate the car that you got me (dad's note: it was old and not terribly expensive but functional), but the best gift you have ever given me is this hammock"

Here are the pictures...

The hammock loaded and ready for a nap

Side view showing the pole on top, the attachment system, etc

Up close of the suspension loop and the loop that goes back to the end cap that holds the suspension loop in place

Up close of the end cap with the hook holding the pole in place

It isn't perfect but it works really well. The pole is held firmly in place by the cradle on top and the hooks at each end holding it in place. The extra loop that holds the suspension loop in place also works great and was an epiphany while walking around Home Depot yesterday afternoon trying to come up with a way to keep the suspension loop from sliding towards the middle of the pole.

My thoughts and comments on the finished product as it relates to this thread:
    • I wanted to get all three of the boards to be part of the cradle that the pole lays on but I couldn't get everything to fit and I was in a rush to get it finished quickly. Since it is overbuilt it really doesn't seem to be an issue.
    • I don't know how this would translate to using 2x2's but I think that if you built it "just right" then it would be possible. The solitary back leg and it's connection to the hinge would be my biggest concern

Dave
    Last edited by samsara; 06-24-2012 at 18:37.
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

• + New Posts