Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images

TurtleDog 2.0!

Ok, it's not exactly finished to the level that I wanted (I wanted to stain it and sew a spreader limiter shelf out of some stout cloth and gros grain for storage) but here is the larger version of the TurtleDog stand that I built for my daughter to hang her big mayan hammock from (she is planning on sleeping full time in her hammock... we'll see).

Here are the differences from the normal TurtleDog stand:
    • I overbuilt it because it is for my daughter to sleep in full time and portability is secondary (but useful). I used 2x3's for the front two legs and the solitary back leg I used a 2x4 so that I could put all 4 bolts through the board and hinge
    • I left the boards as long as possible for height (it's a big and long hammock)
    • I put the cross pipe ON TOP of the tripod (see photos) for more height
    • I used end caps... not for suspension directly but for holding the pipe firmly in place and for keeping the suspension loop from sliding to the middle of the pole (see photos)

I also did the hppyfngy method for spread limiting with rope backup on the legs (edit: I didn't include this in the bullet points above because I consider the hppyfngy mod to be a normal option of the TurtleDog stand). The legs are spread apart a bit more than I would prefer but it is rock solid and I don't think I'll change anything. We'll see how it goes when she does more nights on it. It is much more substantial due to the larger lumber but it is still easily movable and fits inside my Corolla.

The money quote of the day from my daughter, while she was laying in her hammock in the stand... "you know what dad? I really appreciate the car that you got me (dad's note: it was old and not terribly expensive but functional), but the best gift you have ever given me is this hammock"

Here are the pictures...

The hammock loaded and ready for a nap

Side view showing the pole on top, the attachment system, etc

Up close of the suspension loop and the loop that goes back to the end cap that holds the suspension loop in place

Up close of the end cap with the hook holding the pole in place

It isn't perfect but it works really well. The pole is held firmly in place by the cradle on top and the hooks at each end holding it in place. The extra loop that holds the suspension loop in place also works great and was an epiphany while walking around Home Depot yesterday afternoon trying to come up with a way to keep the suspension loop from sliding towards the middle of the pole.

My thoughts and comments on the finished product as it relates to this thread:
    • I wanted to get all three of the boards to be part of the cradle that the pole lays on but I couldn't get everything to fit and I was in a rush to get it finished quickly. Since it is overbuilt it really doesn't seem to be an issue.
    • I don't know how this would translate to using 2x2's but I think that if you built it "just right" then it would be possible. The solitary back leg and it's connection to the hinge would be my biggest concern

Dave
    Last edited by samsara; 06-24-2012 at 18:37.
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    That looks really good Dave. I'd rather it had less spread too but looks like you have plenty of room and with the beefier timbers it's not going anywhere.

How long is your top rail?
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    That looks really good Dave. I'd rather it had less spread too but looks like you have plenty of room and with the beefier timbers it's not going anywhere.

How long is your top rail?
    Yeah, I would prefer to cut 6 inches or so off of the legs and make them more upright but it is so solid and I was 1) in a hurry to get it finished and 2) working outside in the on again off again almost always sprinkling rain that we have been getting from what is now tropical storm Debby. So I just went with what I had.

I didn't measure the top rail but it is probably 12 feet or a smidge under. The height of the stand and the length of the rail can probably be adjusted down some but I didn't have my daughter's hammock handy when I was building it. Once I have some time to take my tools over to her place I'll try to fine tune it down a bit.

Dave

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    The money quote of the day from my daughter, while she was laying in her hammock in the stand... "you know what dad? I really appreciate the car that you got me (dad's note: it was old and not terribly expensive but functional), but the best gift you have ever given me is this hammock"
    Wow! That put a tear in my eye. As parents, we know that the gift we're giving isn't the hammock - it's love.

And that stand looks to be as solid as your love for your daughter!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Mike, you're making it hard for me to see the keyboard.

Dave that is a great stand! Like the way you used the gate hook to hold the toprail. I feel that with some time in it your daughter will appreciate it and you even more.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Wow! That put a tear in my eye. As parents, we know that the gift we're giving isn't the hammock - it's love.

And that stand looks to be as solid as your love for your daughter!
    Aww thanks Mike, you're making me verklempt

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Mike, you're making it hard for me to see the keyboard.

Dave that is a great stand! Like the way you used the gate hook to hold the toprail. I feel that with some time in it your daughter will appreciate it and you even more.
    Thanks... it took me an hour of walking around Home Depot to come up with that system. I was trying to figure out how to do two things (something to hold the pipe in place when the hammock isn't loaded and a way to keep the suspension from sliding down the pipe towards the middle) and they were giving me fits trying to come up with a method that I really liked. I had many different ideas and just happened to walk to look at the toprail bin to see how big the inside and outside diameters are and I saw the endcaps *clouds parting and the sun shines through while the angels sing* . I could do both by using the endcap and the pipe would look nicer than an uncovered one!

If I ever do another TurtleDog stand it will probably be like this one (but using 2x2's).

Dave

I made a turtle-dog stand a couple days ago, you folks make them sound so good that I couldn't resist, not to mention I need a stand. I had bought some 2x3's for another project and decided to try them for this. They work. Major overkill, perhaps, but even at 78" the tripods are easily handled. This thing is rock solid. No wiggle, no shake, at all. Thanks for the inspiration to move ahead with this. That one for your daughter is awesome.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Question: Would 3/4'" EMT be strong enough to use as the pipe that spans between the two tripods? I already have some of that on hand, but am unsure if it would be sufficient to support the load.

I'd rather ask now than find out the hard way that it won't work.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I wish I had taken a picture, but I saw one of these stands out in the wild at a Chick-Fil-A grand opening. My brother and I had ours and it was your standard height. This guy had cut his stand in half and was hanging just above the ground. It made it much more portable in my opinion.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CamRuns View Post
    I wish I had taken a picture, but I saw one of these stands out in the wild at a Chick-Fil-A grand opening. My brother and I had ours and it was your standard height. This guy had cut his stand in half and was hanging just above the ground. It made it much more portable in my opinion.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?
    It's fine unless it rains. Of course it's much harder to get in and out of too...

(oops, I think my age is showing...)
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 27 of 320 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast