Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novascotia-hanger View Post
    What kind of 2x2x8?

I was thinking of this ;
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/2x2x...ed-wood/941757

Any suggestions?
    That's the idea. I'll say again though, if you can go to a bona-fide lumber yard and buy "clear or better" 2x2's, you'll save a lot of trouble trying to find good pieces at one of the big box stores.

I go to mine and just grab however many I need and they're perfect and straight and knot free.

Your Home Depot might be exceptional though...

And yes, tat2ITgeek, they do make scary kites!!!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    If I could find that long of a section of clear, treated 2x2 at a big box store. I bought clear, untreated and painted em. They still were a little knotty.

Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Gooooooood evening folks!

This is my first post.

I just ordered a GT skeeter beeter, a GT double parachute hammock, and a GT UL that was hard to resist at its price, and ENO ATLAS straps. I have decided to make a TD hammock stand since I've read that Florida parks and camping areas are not so hammock friendly. Im 6'2,and weigh 230lbs, the hammocks I bought seem to be in the larger and longer variety, except the GT UL. Ive made up my mind to go with 7' 2x2's,and a 14' ridgepole,Im not going to do the angle cuts on this one,I'll do one of those down the line when this one decides to R.I.P.

Now here comes my question on the TD hammock stand,since Im not going to do the angle cuts,Im going to need some rope/line to keep the tripod from opening up on me. What line are you folks using? any preferred brand or strength? I have two types of paracord,one is the 550, the other is from Home Depot and is rated for 160lb working load. If paracord is acceptable, will stretch to be an issue? I don't have a problem ordering something better if suggested.

One other question, all six posts are going to be 7', no angle cuts, I don't have to make one leg shorter in both tripods by doing it this way,correct?

Thank you.
    Rice-N-Beans.
    Last edited by Rice-N-beans; 04-30-2014 at 20:35.

Hammock
    WBBB/ENO DN
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    Pad
    Images
    I used 550 because it was all I had at the time. It's working well and all my legs are the same length.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The 550 should work OK. If it stretches and inch in this application, who cares. Place it low on the legs where is has the best mechanical advantage.

You are correct that all legs will be the same length.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    I used 550 because it was all I had at the time. It's working well and all my legs are the same length.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The 550 should work OK. If it stretches and inch in this application, who cares. Place it low on the legs where is has the best mechanical advantage.

You are correct that all legs will be the same length.
    Thank you, I'll use my 550 cord and hang it low.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    550 is what I used. I am thinking of adding carabiners my whoopie slings were pulling too much on my prusik line from the shackle to the pole.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    None taken.

For this outdoor version, I just used a section of 1" EMT for the ridge pole. Shoved a hunk of treated lumber in the ends and drilled through to attach a 5/16" eye bolt and hung with an S hook and an amsteel dog bone. Works great and easy and quick to take apart.

hppyfngy, I bought the fence top post, its seems like a smaller diameter than the ridge pipe in this pic, would that same eye bolt work for my rig? Or do I need a smaller eye bolt?

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    The ridge pole we are typically using is 1-3/8" fence rail. The conduit I used in this pic you refer to is actually smaller, being only 1".

You mean you used something smaller than 1"?

I personally felt, just instinctively, that 5/16" bolts were as small as I was comfortable with and you outweigh me by 50#.

I don't really know how to answer your question. Will 1/4" bolt hold you? I believe it will, but I sure have no empirical evidence or knowledge of the capacity of these bolts, 'S' hooks, etc.

I think a straight line eye bolt, 1/4", will hold between 400-500#, but it's the 'S' hook I'd be concerned about.

Don't take my word for it. I'd find a capacity chart at the hardware store or a person more knowledgeable than I am, and go for twice the capacity you think you need, for safety.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    The ridge pole we are typically using is 1-3/8" fence rail. The conduit I used in this pic you refer to is actually smaller, being only 1".

You mean you used something smaller than 1"?

I personally felt, just instinctively, that 5/16" bolts were as small as I was comfortable with and you outweigh me by 50#.

I don't really know how to answer your question. Will 1/4" bolt hold you? I believe it will, but I sure have no empirical evidence or knowledge of the capacity of these bolts, 'S' hooks, etc.

I think a straight line eye bolt, 1/4", will hold between 400-500#, but it's the 'S' hook I'd be concerned about.

Don't take my word for it. I'd find a capacity chart at the hardware store or a person more knowledgeable than I am, and go for twice the capacity you think you need, for safety.
    I just got back from a Home Depot run, I picked up two stainless steel 5-3/8 eye-bolts with 3/8" nuts. The 8" will get hack sawed down to size in the future.

I also bought two stainless steel "S" hooks, .306"X3", the package has a tiny picture of a hanging hammock on it.

Ill post some pics when I get it all whipped up together, the tripod part is done, I just need to finish the ridgepole.

Thank again fppyfngy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 208 of 320 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218258308 ... LastLast