Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    The main reason I did the stands when we were car camping (besides the cool factor. I had at least 3 people come ask me about them) was because the site, Prince William Forest Park, didn't allow anything hanging from the trees when I called to ask. Turns out that they changed that policy after I called and before I got there (it was a couple of months) to allowable if the straps are 1 1/2" and up.

Anyway, the biggest advantage I think is that if your rig is dialed in before you get to camp, a 9 year old can set it up. The only hitch we had was that my daughter's (she's the 9 year old) loops used to hang the ridge pole got left at home. So I had to hang it higher than normal. I have to admit it was nice not having to look at the site and try and figure out a compromise between livability and a good hang set up. We just threw them up where ever seemed good.

I didn't think of doubling up hammocks to reduce the number of tripods. I might play around with it some.

I have also had my set up blow over in a high wind in the yard. But at the Park, it stormed from 3p until the next morning. It was bad enough the rangers considered closing the campground. But with all the trees blocking the winds we didn't feel it much at all. I think if the campground is at least semi sheltered there wont be much worry of getting it blown over.
    Last edited by seadad9903; 07-28-2012 at 18:34.
    i totally take back all those times i didn't want to nap when i was a kid

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I haven't used my stand outside so just wondering. Is it the hammock or the tarp that is allowing the wind to affect the stand? Thought is that if the tarp is staked it should hold the stand down. If no tarp is in place the hanging hammock in a breeze would surely catch the wind and become a sail. Recalling my short lived sailing days, a few short lines tying the hammock to the top rail when the hammock is not in use should solve the problem when the hammock is unoccupied.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seadad9903 View Post
    Anyway, the biggest advantage I think is that if your rig is dialed in before you get to camp, a 9 year old can set it up. The only hitch we had was that my daughter's (she's the 9 year old) loops used to hang the ridge pole got left at home. So I had to hang it higher than normal. I have to admit it was nice not having to look at the site and try and figure out a compromise between livability and a good hang set up. We just threw them up where ever seemed good.
    I see that as a big benefit for anyone no matter their age. If you are car camping at a campground then having the TD means you can set up quickly and be the most comfortable campers in the campground in a matter of minutes... in style. I remember my tent camping days when you would try to find the spot that didn't have big bumps or a root sticking out. The only time you didn't care about the bumps and roots was if you had an inflatable mattress... until now

I just can't wait to see the DetailMan clan set up using 4 TD tripods and 5 ridgepoles for 5 hammocks in the MAD777 double triangle configuration

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I haven't used my stand outside so just wondering. Is it the hammock or the tarp that is allowing the wind to affect the stand? Thought is that if the tarp is staked it should hold the stand down. If no tarp is in place the hanging hammock in a breeze would surely catch the wind and become a sail. Recalling my short lived sailing days, a few short lines tying the hammock to the top rail when the hammock is not in use should solve the problem when the hammock is unoccupied.
    Mine went in to light sail mode a few times before I got it pegged down. The one time that I had a tarp set up on it I thought that that would be an added benefit... it will hold the entire rig in place (as long as your stakes held). This almost makes me want to camp at a big campground... almost

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's a video of a bushcraft version of this stand...just made with lashings instead of hinges.

“Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Here's a video of a bushcraft version of this stand...just made with lashings instead of hinges.
    That's the beauty of the original turtlelady design... it is simple and easy to build and can be made using varied materials (thus the TurtleDog version).

In other TurtleDog news...

Originally Posted by olddog
    The question was posed by old4hats about the number of turtledog stands that had been built. Went back and reviewed a few threads, the Turtlelady stand, the TurtleDog stand and a thread by domromer. Here is what I was able to find and assume that there may be others.

#1- Olddog
    #2- flashbang009
    #3- hppyfngy, with first angled ends
    #4- linuxhack
    #5- mys4sllc
    #6- samsara
    #7- letstieoneon
    #8- Cole
    #9- Fontana Horseman
    #10 & #11- olzeke and wife
    #12 & #13- CamRuns and brother
    #14- carmen2kayak
    #15- Troy64
    #16- Throkda
    #17- OldMart
    #18- Spiffguy
    #19- Aven
    #20- hppyfngy for nephew
    #21- Mundele
    #22- meanmoe
    #23- Chuck Gravy
    #24- spinkid
    #25- samsara's daughter, version 2.0
    #26- old4hats
    #27- CptAhmadKnackwurst
    #28- Fish<><
    #29- Shortbus
    #30- Clarinath
    #31- Silvertitan
    #32- NoahWhey
    #33- trhang
    #34- TheKid
    #35- Suburban
    #36- gp_griz
    #37- Sidewinder
    #38- wattson
    #39- thehappymailman
    #40- Datahiker
    #41-#43- seadad9903
    #44- samsara (another TD 2.0)

If you have built a TurtleDog and are not on the list please feel free to add yourself.

Now I need to rearrange a bunch of furniture to get it to fit in my house so that I can hang my big Mayan hammock for sleeping in.

Dave

Hammock
    Caravan Ultra Lite
    Images
    Try this. Beef up the ends of pipe with a piece of wood dowel and drill a 7/16 in. hole thru pipe and dowel insert a 3/8 in. eye bolt with a eye nut. Should be able to setup with "S" hooks or carabiners.

Hammock
    WBBB, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB SS, Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Try this. Beef up the ends of pipe with a piece of wood dowel and drill a 7/16 in. hole thru pipe and dowel insert a 3/8 in. eye bolt with a eye nut. Should be able to setup with "S" hooks or carabiners.
    Where can I get eye nuts and how much are they? The only places I've found are on line and their expensive. I think the site I found was an arborist site.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    That was suggested a while ago by oldgringo (I think). Quite a few seem happy to use the end caps and for me, at least, I need the flexibility to move the hang point to accommodate different hammocks. I think that eventually there will be a group that will start doing the dowel/eyebolt method because it really seems like a good idea

Dave

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    This weekend I set up one of the stands to use as a closet rod for an outdoor yard sale. I was surprised when no one said anything about it. How often do we see a tri-pod in a yard?

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    This weekend I set up one of the stands to use as a closet rod for an outdoor yard sale. I was surprised when no one said anything about it. How often do we see a tri-pod in a yard?
    In my yard, pretty often!

Tripods, tipi, tents, bamboo tripods, turtledog stand, ...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 36 of 320 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast