WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Providence canyon overnight

A couple of days ago I took an overnight trip to Providence canyon state park, near lumpkin GA. Its during the week, so there was no one there! I usually hike the Pinhoti trail in AL, but just wanted to try something different this time. I arrived at the park around 9 30 am, hiked the backcountry trail to campsite 5, hiked to get water, set up camp and spent the rest of the day just hanging out, reading a book etc. It was a very relaxing way to spend a beautiful afternoon! The next day, I hiked back the way I came----and picked up a big bag full of trash from the other backcountry sites on the way. (who ever melted all those plastic water bottles at campsite 4---what the @#$%%$ were you thinking?)
    By the way, Thursday was my 46th birthday--so this was my birthday trip! My wife gave me a packa, and a Sawyer gravity feed water filter for my Birthday presents! It didnt rain, so I didnt use the packa, but the filter is really nice---I'll never go back to a pump again!
    I thought the woods were really beautiful---mainly hardwoods, and the canyon is always interesting. (caused by erosion in the late 1800s from bad farming practices--its pretty neat to see!) I enjoyed the whole trip, and will probably return someday!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Here's more pics.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Happy birthday. Glad you got to spend time in the woods and the Mrs got you some cool new toys!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Great time I'm sure! Did you follow the red blaze to the north side or the creek or take the southern way??
    Providence is high on my "do it before I retire" list, you just bumped it up a notch!
    Thanks for the good info, I'll most likely go during the weekday as well.

Happy B-day!
    Shnick
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    I've really got to get down there one day...too close not to...

Images
    Thank you, Stevebo! I grew up in Blakely and Columbus mainly, which is very close to there. Plus, had a girlfriend who lived in Lumpkin. But I have never hiked the area, and would love to go spend the night there someday! Is there a good water supply?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Billy bob, there is water near the backcountry sites (down hill 1/2 mile from campsite 6, after the eagle scout bridge) Its a good sized stream, but full of silt from the canyons. After filtering it, the water has a tangy mineral taste (I believe its iron) also, it kind of turns slightly orange when exposed in a plastic water bottle. After drinking several gallons,I figure I'm all stocked up on vitamins and minerals for several weeks! Also, be warned, the stream I was talking about has a very muddy, slippery bank---I stepped out on it and started sinking! (I just took some sticks and made a pile to step on) It was kind of neat to be there during the week and have the whole place tomy self! I wouldnt spend a week there, but it was an interesting place to have an overnight! If you are ever in the area Billybob, let me know---maybe we could hike or something? (I only live a little over an hour away) As an added bonus, Columbus has some of the best BBQ Ive ever tasted!

--unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    .... I wouldnt spend a week there, but it was an interesting place to have an overnight! If you are ever in the area Billybob, let me know---maybe we could hike or something? (I only live a little over an hour away) As an added bonus, Columbus has some of the best BBQ Ive ever tasted!
    Sure thing, sounds good!

Funny what you say about the BBQ. Whenever I would be living out in CO or up in PA, the first thing I would have on my mind when coming home to Columbus for a visit was getting some BBQ!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Sounds like a good trip there, Stevebo. Our scout troop hiked and camped in Providence Canyon in March and we were in sites 4 and 5. Site 5 is a very nice site, lots of good hangin' spots - 4 is a little small, but still had plenty of good hangin' spots. Glad you had a good time and happy birthday!
    "A man's got to know his limitations," Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Oh, as far as the plastic bottles, we always police our campsites before we leave to make sure we leave the site better than we found it. So, I know those weren't from our group. Some people have no respect for nature and the out of doors. We camped at Swallow Creek above Helen once, and were appalled at the condition of some of the sites. People had broken glass bottles all over the place and had thrown cans and plastic bottles into the fire ring. It's almost as if they think the maid is coming after they leave. Geez!
    "A man's got to know his limitations," Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast