WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Best of luck, my brother!

I recommend (based on my outdoor experiences with my Puerto Rican princess from Brooklyn) LOTS of baby wipes, hand sanitizer, quality bug juice, comfortable clothes, something comfortable to sit on (my wife doesn't like to use the hammock as a seat too) and whatever comfort foods and drinks she likes.

Privacy is a big issue for my wife. Even if we're out and away from people in the middle of freaking nowhere she needs the tarp to be low "just in case". I guess she fears a squirrel will check out the goods or something. That will continue to remain a mystery to me but it's important to her so I deal with it.

She wants to share the weight and doesn't expect me to carry everything. Bonus for me. Might want to ask your wife what her preference is, she may surprise you.

It's all in the little details.......

Jay

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Most of the posts above this are pretty much on target. My wife and daughters are Tom-boys, but at the end of the day, hot water is on their need list. The only thing I would toss in is evening recreation. I rarely go anywhere with out a deck of cards or Scrabble (on the IPhone). Something to relax with and talk about the day.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm right there with ya. I've been able to talk her into car camping at a state park once. She must have "running water and bathrooms" , so kayak camping isn't even an option. I'll take the kids a good bit and they can't even talk her into coming. Hope it works out for ya!
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Take her somewhere scenic, and not too taxing of a hike in to get there.

Do all the heavy lifting.

If you have to show her how to do things that you consider rudimentary, do NOT talk
    down to her.- This is all new to her possibly.

Get her involved in the decison process prior to the trip, including menu, location, gear, etc.
    She needs to be comfortable as much as possible on the first few. You can introduce her to doing without various creature comforts as she becomes a more experienced camper.

You are lucky. My wife considers it roughing it if it is a campground, in a cabin and she has to walk to the bathrooms. Or Motel-Six.
    Both are pretty equal in her mind.

Luckily, my almost 15 yr old son will go anywhere for camping / hiking.
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Clark, if you're not car camping but hiking in, consider Fairfield Lake State Park's primitive area. It's about a 2 mile walk and while primitive there is a water faucet and real porcelain flushing thrones.

Listen to the advice given by the ladies here.

Stay under the same tarp, (jrs has a Honeymoon Suite by Smokehouse for sale I hear), or if not the same one, as close as possible.

Tell her ahead of time that all the noises in the leaves are small birds but the quiet night amplifies the sound.

Have fun!

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I guess I lucked out. My wifey had never camped before we met. Talked her into a one night group hang in camp ground, next thing you know we are hanging our hammocks in Northern Ontario in February...-26*C. Now planning a paddle trip in Algonquin for May. She suggests minimum of 3 nights and 4 days!

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Prayer sent...
    My wife grew up in Brooklyn. Never saw the woods till I got hold of her. Took her to the Adirondacks on a kayak trip for her first time.. everything here is good advice. One thing I didn't see. .
    Bring a fold up potty stool, its light, and worked out well. Back then the area had NO amenities, now there are thunderboxes but she still would rather use the seat. That thing saved the trip. After roughing it, I took here car camping and she hated it. (No woodsy experience there) it made here appreciate being secluded and made her realize you have to Work for the best experience.
    She still goes on the yearly trip when I get my vacation.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

The immersion method

Does anyone have an ex they tried the immersion method on? “Hey, you brought it…you carry it”. The method was documented as working once on the Oregon Trail back in the 1800’s. I’ve never tried it you understand, even after 38 years of marriage to the same woman, but hey, who knows maybe you could be a modern first.

Hammock
    MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    I liked the idea of bringing a little gift to give her at night, I know things like that usually improve my mood and usually the memory of the trip gets connected to the item. Another idea is take her to REI and let her pick out something she likes that she can take, a headlamp or a nice shirt, just something to make her feel included. I don't know, but she may feel a little bit like she's an intruder to what she might consider to be your "world." Simple things like asking her what she wants to do today and letting her feel useful can dispel that.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If the nighttime noises are an issue, earplugs. The squishy ones. She'll sleep (mostly) through the night and wake up rested. Other than that, get her involved on the trip planning side of things. At the very least, keep her abreast of all the planning.

Go with God!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast