MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

Pray for me.... and help with a little advice

Hello HF'ers,

OK... let me start by saying that I normally solo backpack. My wife has NEVER been out camping with me and other than in my back yard, ever slept in a hammock. (the things I tolerate for luv). But, that's all about to change. My wife has agreed to go on a short camping trip with me on the next couple of weeks. I would like to make it enjoyable for her, so maybe,.... just maybe she'll want to come out on a regular basis and possibly even go out backpacking at some point.

So, any suggestions on how to break a newbie ion gently???
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Carry all the heavy stuff for her, make sure she can be comfortable and have some privacy for those nature calls. I don't think you'll have too much trouble with her liking the camp food you bring but just be sure she can have a good time. I am able to endure some hardships because I know the joys of backpacking, my wife, not so much. I don't expect her to have to sacrafice anything so I carry a 65 liter pack and she carries my 20 liter daypack.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    You have my prayers.

Now, on to the advice...My wife has never been camping with me either, but says she'll consider it if we go when the weather is her idea of nice (no colder than 70F at night and no warmer than 90F during the day), if I carry her gear, and if we do not have to walk very far. She also prefers there to be a bath house near by, but understands if there isn't.
    My advice? Ask your wife what she wants to see, do, and feel like on the trip. As an experienced backpacker you can then put together a few places to recommend to her with a list of pros and cons for each. Usually listening to my wife and being upfront about what she can expect (like carrying her own water) helps a lot.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, I would try the emotional/psychological approach, saying "You're a natural at this!" or "I love spending time with you outdoors!", etc. Maybe pack a few extra niceties you wouldn't normally back, a big fluffy pillow, her favorite chocolate, etc.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    When I first met my wife she had never been camping and I only backpacked at the time. I car camped as a child and teenager though. When she agreed to go camping, I went out and got the things to make her as comfortable as possible. Big tent, air mattress, mosquito tarp etc. I also took her to a camp ground with the comforts such as hot showers and flush toilets nearby. My wife now loves car camping but backpacking I'm still working on.

I think figuring out with your wife the main things that are negative in her mind and addressing those is important. Also ask her if there are any activities she wants to try. Hiking, canoeing, guided nature walks etc. My wife gets bored easily so I make sure there is lots or us to do both at camp or away from camp. Once she has it in her head that her needs will be met, it will be easier for her to go out.

Good luck! At least she'll have good food
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I got a good one...she had never been backpacking before we got together but after one 5day trip in the mountains of northeast WA in early spring with nights in the teens and lots of ice she fell in love with it....and that's where it got expensive! For car camping amenities be sure you have a Very easy to do cook system (like a 2 burner Coleman, suitcase type stove) and a comfy way to snuggle by the fire. Maybe some wine at sunset. And dare I say it, let her use your down, you know it's the best way to sleep outdoors.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Ask her.

Bring a surprise you know she'll like, keep her comfy and more importantly, bug spray. No, even more importantly, go out and HAVE FUN!

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Be sure you practice with the gear before you go. I got my wife to go backpacking a could years ago, we discovered she suffers panic attacks sleeping in a small tent. Not a good time to discover this when there is no motel nearby!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Wishing you the best, can offer no advise but will be watching to see how she liked it. Still can't get my wife into it but she loves to car camp. Bathrooms of course.

The first time I took Hamhocker out for a backpacking trip we only hiked in 2 miles to the campsite. The views we had along the trail were great and she loved it. She had back surgery about 5 yrs ago and wasn't sure she could even backpack. The pack hit her in the right spot in the lower back that it applied pressure to the part of the back that bothered her.

I made sure her pack was light. Basically she was just carrying things she would be using like clothes, meds, etc.

Since that trip she has gotten hooked on backpacking and kayaking.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast