Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Draped loosely over a ridgeline.... but I can change that with no problem atm...
    in fact... I'll go play....

I think the zipper tape is shot amongst other things. It was salvaged out of an old tent and if I remember right come to think... it was causing problems there too.... but I'm not positive ablout that it was so long ago that we used that tent.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 07-28-2008 at 16:35.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

bugnet over bridge

Just got this done ten minutes ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Skinner, That ain't too shabby. Hey Rev, Don't you just hate it when people show off???
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    Hey Rev, Don't you just hate it when people show off???

If you got it.... flaunt it.....

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Take a look at the new thread, "5 inch wider Bear Mountain Bridge." Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Youngblood, Thanks for the response and the benefit of your immense experience. I will give the net some shape, but I am still researching exactly where and how much to cut the curve. Most of my research is based on long hours laying in the hammock, pondering life's most important issues, like how to cut the curve on the new bug net. Since I'm in no hurry, I can research this issue at great length and in great detail. Thanks. DTE
    Doug,

If the bugnet ridgeline is at the hammock knots, then one way to look at the curve for the bugnet is as an adapter of sorts. The horizontal length between the hammock knots is one length, depending on the hammock length and the sag angle of the hammock. For 31 degrees, the ratio is 6/7ths. The length along the edge of the hammock can be shorter than the length down the center of the hammock by the amount of 'ears' pulled or other shortening means. Those two dimensions, the horizontal length between hammock knots and the length of the edge of the hammock, are the two dimensions the 'adapter' is trying to fit. Drawing software programs sometimes will do this math for you fairly simply by trial and error where you don't have to solve any equations... that's what I did.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Dave, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your response. Once upon a time I actually majored in engineering...at a time when calculators that would do simple calculations were exotic examples of wonders yet to come...we wore our K&E Slide Rules in their leather scabbards clipped to our belts(I still have mine). To imagine that it would be easier to use "drawing software" rather than equations to solve a "simple" problem just flys in the face of intuitive absurdity. I doubt that I could follow the logic of the string of equations, but I surely can't follow the logic of computers where you press the "start" button to turn the beast off. Nevertheless, I understand what you are saying about the ratio of the centerline length to the perimeter length. However, that doesn't answer the question of shape, does it? I'm not trying to make this more complicated that it needs to be, but it sure is fun!!!! Fortunately, errors in this calculation don't mean the astronauts miss the moon. DTE

Images
    Dave, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your response. Once upon a time I actually majored in engineering...at a time when calculators that would do simple calculations were exotic examples of wonders yet to come...we wore our K&E Slide Rules in their leather scabbards clipped to our belts(I still have mine). To imagine that it would be easier to use "drawing software" rather than equations to solve a "simple" problem just flys in the face of intuitive absurdity. I doubt that I could follow the logic of the string of equations, but I surely can't follow the logic of computers where you press the "start" button to turn the beast off. Nevertheless, I understand what you are saying about the ratio of the centerline length to the perimeter length. However, that doesn't answer the question of shape, does it? I'm not trying to make this more complicated that it needs to be, but it sure is fun!!!! Fortunately, errors in this calculation don't mean the astronauts miss the moon. DTE
    Doug, I pondered about the shape also, looked at several ways of doing it, and just went with the 3-point arc that the particular software I use generated. That seemed simple, clean, and met the loose requirements I came up with.

You may figure it differently, but my thinking went along these lines. Since there isn't anything holding the body of the hammock to a fixed shape, it is a shape that varies depending on how you choose to lay at that particular moment. Add to that that the center line of the bugnet is able to slide over the ridgeline from one side to the other 'on demand' and you have so much flexibility with the bugnet that there isn't likely one optimum solution.

Speaking of slide rules, I used my older brothers 2nd or 3rd hand Post Slide Rule with a fine leather holster.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Thanks Dave, That's acceptable logic...there is no absolute answer, except that a perfect solution is one that keeps the skeeters off.

"Speaking of slide rules, I used my older brothers 2nd or 3rd hand Post Slide Rule with a fine leather holster."

AARP is looking for you!!!! DTE

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    is anyone impressed that I could multiply two one digit numbers on a slide rule as long as I had enuf tries and already knew the answer... No? Not impressed... I didn't so. I wasn't either. Now my dad used to be able to use one of those things. That's why I try to work on a project using the material rather than numbers. Some times you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. My latest bugnet project was an example of the bear eating me.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast