Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    hmm now there's a thought, how about the white urban camo style? I bet that'd take pink dye and come out pretty convincing. Off to google I go!
    I honestly don't know. I haven't dyed anything since I was a teen, and then it was all cotton material.

I do know that the ACU from Magna Fabrics barely has any dye on it already. Just enough to show the pattern. If it is held up to the light you can see through it. I think it would take a red dye and come out pretty clearly pink.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ritdye.com/dyeing-techniques/tips-success
    Nylon

To help achieve a more intense color, add 1 cup white vinegar to the dyebath, especially when dyeing in the washing machine. When dyeing smaller amounts of fabric using the bucket or stove-top method, add 1/2 cup white vinegar after the fabric has been in the dyebath for 5 minutes.
    Rit dyes nylon very easily and quickly.
    To avoid wrinkling, do not exceed a water temperature of 180º F.
    After dyeing, allow fabric to cool down before rinsing in cool water.
    This sounds promising!
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you dye fabric in the family washer make absolutely blooming sure you clean it out according to the precise directions. You don't even want to contemplate the fallout if the Mrs. dainties get tinged because of residual dye. Bleach is your friend.

Flamingo suggests a full load of water, a big OLD, CRUDDY beach towel you don't care about, and a cup of bleach. Agitate it all with vigor at least two full cycles.

Nylon does not take dye as efficiently as natural fibers but the result can be reasonable if you follow the directions carefully.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 04-30-2012 at 06:59.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If you dye fabric in the family washer make absolutely blooming sure you clean it out according to the precise directions. You don't even want to contemplate the fallout if the Mrs. dainties get tinged because of residual dye. Bleach is your friend.
    Is this wisdom gained by firsthand experience?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    Is this wisdom gained by firsthand experience?
    Well.... 37 years married to a professional seamstress/dye mistress. But in essence yes.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can do a double layer hammock with a pink inner and a camo outer. The pink will show through the lighter areas of the camouflage. I have made a couple of dbl layer hammocks with Orange on the inside and digi-cam on the outside and they turned out REALLY nice. very neat effect with the orange showing thru the camo outer. Blends really well to Pine straw.

Best of luck and remember to post PICTURES when it is all done.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I don't know if this is the 600d stuff you've already found, but Rockywoods has a water-repellent polyester microfiber pink woodland print located here that's supposedly in the 3.4 oz/sq yd range. They sell samples of it, too, like most of their fabrics (scroll down the page to find it).

Looking at a quick Google search, there are several options out there for a pink woodland print (most of 'em with a lot more pink than the one linked above), but they're mostly cotton or cotton blends. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I waS just about to ask the same question and opened this thread. I found on backpacking light.com where people were talking about dyeing backpacks with RIT dye. They had great results with no dye transfer. I want to get some white and dye it my colors and sil it myself for a tarp.

I read while looking into this that you need to use an acid dye with nylon. The Rit stuff is more for cotton and similar fiber. I still haven't really found an urban ripstop either. I'm thinking I may try it with either a sand or one of the lighter woodland patterns.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Please note... dyes.. no matter what will not change the colors that are there. It may change the intensity of lighter colors but it will only dye fibers that are raw to start with. It will have virtually no effect on darker colors. You need to be very careful dying already colored fabrics as the chemical science of color mixing comes into play. You might get a very different effect than you expect. You could end up with mud if the complementary colors on the color wheel mix.

You will need an acid dye for nylons but that doesn't change the science. In addition, if the base fabric is printed instead of dyed in the fiber you can really end up with a total mess. This is to say make surenyou run samples to make sure you will get what you want. Dying is an art based on some rather arcane chemical science.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12