Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I've tried to contact Adam a few times, but can't seem to get ahold of him. I'll try again. I'll also try calling around to a few shops locally to see if they can do it. If nothing else, maybe I can do a temporary DIY fix with the household materials that Fronkey mentioned to get me through the summer, and then send the quilt back to Adam for a proper repair sometime this fall.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by equiquay View Post
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I've tried to contact Adam a few times, but can't seem to get ahold of him. I'll try again. I'll also try calling around to a few shops locally to see if they can do it. If nothing else, maybe I can do a temporary DIY fix with the household materials that Fronkey mentioned to get me through the summer, and then send the quilt back to Adam for a proper repair sometime this fall.
    He was at Mahha this weekend and just got back I think. I'm sure HG will answer soon.

Fronkey
    Last edited by Fronkey; 04-30-2012 at 00:38.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    You can use a pair of snap pliers to re-attach it. However, I use a philips head screw driver and a center punch to do mine because I'm too cheap to buy the pliers.

I would suggest asking them to mail you a button set so you can just do it yourself, it's really easy. If you have any questions I'm sure I can procrastinate from work for a couple minutes tomorrow and make a quick vid on how to do it.

Fronkey
    Those are junk as Rev says, but we're not talking about holding a boat cover on going down the road at 70mph. I purchased a West Marine kit version in a pinch once and it was just a more expensive piece of junk., It did actually make the repai, though.

I use a "Press n Snap" tool, (actually 2 of them) which works very well and are outrageously priced. It has enough leverage to completely ruin a snap also if you over do it. For a quick , inexpensive repair, I wouldn't hesitate to use the cheap anvil and snap kit or carry to someone as mentioned.

I don't see why your screwdriver method wouldn't work as well as an anvil. All you are trying to do is flare the ends so a part can't come off.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Those are junk as Rev says, but we're not talking about holding a boat cover on going down the road at 70mph. I purchased a West Marine kit version in a pinch once and it was just a more expensive piece of junk., It did actually make the repai, though.

I use a "Press n Snap" tool, (actually 2 of them) which works very well and are outrageously priced. It has enough leverage to completely ruin a snap also if you over do it. For a quick , inexpensive repair, I wouldn't hesitate to use the cheap anvil and snap kit or carry to someone as mentioned.

I don't see why your screwdriver method wouldn't work as well as an anvil. All you are trying to do is flare the ends so a part can't come off.
    I was just giving an example to what the snap pliers looked like.

I use a screw driver to open up the snap and a center punch to push it down. I have never had one come un-done and my quilts get A LOT of use.

Fronkey

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Not a fan of snaps on thin material. Open them carefully, don't just yank at the fabric, get your fingers right near the spot. On all my quilts HG and Golite, I always undue the top snaps immediately and never use them again. The footbox snaps I will also not mess with, I'll leave them snapped as I feel constantly messing with them will cause a problem at some point. Nothing wrong with either of these brands, it's just that thin material will not hold a snap under constant use.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by equiquay View Post
    Adam was at MAHA and now he is romping around in the woods with his two bigs. I believe he will be back in the shop on Wednesday possibly Thursday. Jenny is their by her self but she does not hear so well and often times does not answer the phone. I would send them an email and if you dont hear back from them by Thursday/Frjdway try calling again. Their great people and always make things right.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Thought he was headed to.the gorge.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    Thought he was headed to.the gorge.
    Not for a couple more weeks.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Well you could buy another burrow, the next warmer one, use it when it comes in and the send the broken one in for repair. You'll end Up with 2 quilts but won't be without one for any given time. Everone needs a few burrows, right?

S

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just caught this! Yes, absolutely send it back. We'll refund you the shipping cost, and have the snap repaired and out the same day, so you should have it within a few days after shipping it out. My apologies. Every now and then, a defective snap may escape our "eagle eyes". There is no reason at all why you should have to go through the trouble of trying to get it fixed. Send me an email, and I'll watch for it. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast