Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hot weather in a Clark

I just bought a Clark North American. I set it up yesterday and when I got in I could not ignore how hot I was. Is this a bad hammock for hot weather? Granted, it was mid 80's and probably 100% humidity. But I will be using this thing in these temps and hotter as it will be my permanent shelter.

Now, this is my first hammock experience, so this is all new to me. It seems the narrowness of the hammock greatly contributes to the retention of heat. Has anyone devised a way to keep the sides of the hammock off of the body or is this not possible with the Clark? Also, what should i lay on top of in these hot times? A sleeping bag seems too insulative. A cheap option I am considering is a fleece bag.

Any input would be great and I apologize if this has been answered. Thank you.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Mid 80's and 100% humidity will make anyone feel like a boiled hotdog in a bun.
    No underinsulation needed at those temps for almost everyone. Most need some underinsulation in temps as high as 75 degrees, especiallly if the wind is robbing you of heat.

Welcome to the site. Go here for some great hammock camping info.

www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I know the HH hammocks have side tie outs that help "opne up the bun" does the Clark have them as well? If not I would think they would be easy to add.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    In hot temps, I don't think I'd put anything underneath my body.
    At most, I'd use a clearview bigagnes pad.

Images
    Have you tried putting ice cubes in zip lock bags? Put some in the pad pockets and wrap clothes around some of them and place them on your chest... and don't forget the fan.

All kidding aside, hot weather isn't always a lot of fun outdoors. If the bugs are out and you need bugnetting, gesh, it can feel like a sauna in a hammock, tent or whatever. Way-back, when I was a kid growing up in the deep south when AC was first taking hold, summers where miserable indoors and outdoors. You learned to make the best of it. The drug stores had AC and soda fountains, the theatres had Saturday kid shows with AC, etc. Lots of cold drinks, fans, and good old shade trees. After a little exercise riding bikes, playing ball, or whatever, you had to take turns in front of the fan. Corner bed rooms where a premium because you could put a window fan in the window over the bed, open the other window and get a cool enough breeze where you might even need a sheet over you to keep warm.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Have you tried putting ice cubes in zip lock bags? Put some in the pad pockets and wrap clothes around some of them and place them on your chest... and don't forget the fan.

All kidding aside, hot weather isn't always a lot of fun outdoors. If the bugs are out and you need bugnetting, gesh, it can feel like a sauna in a hammock, tent or whatever. Way-back, when I was a kid growing up in the deep south when AC was first taking hold, summers where miserable indoors and outdoors. You learned to make the best of it. The drug stores had AC and soda fountains, the theatres had Saturday kid shows with AC, etc. Lots of cold drinks, fans, and good old shade trees. After a little exercise riding bikes, playing ball, or whatever, you had to take turns in front of the fan. Corner bed rooms where a premium because you could put a window fan in the window over the bed, open the other window and get a cool enough breeze where you might even need a sheet over you to keep warm.
    Man Youngblood...your older than I thought.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Yeah, heat and humidity s***s no matter how you try to sleep - in a bed, on the floor, in a hammock. At least in a hammock, you have air flow around you (if the air moves at all,) and another area for your body heat to dissipate. Add a little portable mini-fan to move the air...........

Open up the weathershield and bugnet, and tuck them back into the storage pocket. There are tabs on the side of the Clark that you could use to pull open the hammock a little more - not quite ala Hennessy, but it would open it up a little. Usually a pad will open it up more, but in the heat a pad is the last thing you want.

What I used last night was a hospital gown as a lower layer, the same stuff I used to create my no-sew O.R. gown UQ in this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4474

It's lightweight, creates just enough insulation against breezes, and seems to wick moisture away from your body. I used it for a top and bottom layer - should make a bag from it, and line it with coolmax fabric. How cool would that be as a lightweight UQ!

DON'T USE FLEECE! You would regret it. Fleece makes you clammy - doesn't wick away the moisture. A silk sleeping bag liner would be better - I've seen those at places like REI or Campmoor.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Man Youngblood...your older than I thought.
    Heck, they handed out those little hand fans in some places. Those still work. And misters, those fine spray bottles do too. Cars had side vent windows, where you can 'aim the air' a little bit to help cool you off... I think a few even had them on the rear windows. Businesses would advertise 'Air Conditioned' in big letters in a prominent location and people would stop there because of that.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    here's an idea that cannibal did with his warbonnet http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1. I believe it ios one of those $3 fans from walgreens.
    Chris

Living in Central Florida, I have the same problem. My Sungpak Jungle sleeping bag is too warm during the 75+ degree nites, even to lay on. I use the Travel Hammock which only has a single layer and find that the mosiquitos can find you through the material if I'm not laying on something. The CCF pad and such just is too warm as well. I have been thinking of trying the Neat Sheet (maybe double layer it) http://www.theneatsheet.com/index.asp . Does anyone have any experience with this?

Greg, not to hijack the thread, but this may be something you might try, if others have positive experiences with it. I'm trying to find it locally...may have to get online.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast