11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch

pushin weight limits

I understand there is a safety concern when a company puts on weight limits. But has anyone ever pushed the a bit? Im using a DL 1.1 BB now. I weigh 225lbs. What could I expect from a SL 1.1? Would it tear at the seams? Stretch? Be uncomfortable? DL's are not for me after many nights of trial and error so Im considering a 1.7sl but also maybe pushing a SL 1.1 for the gram counter inside of me.

Any first hand/ long term experience with 1.1 SL's and being 25lbs over limit?

Thank ye!

For reference. I'm about 280 so i'm over the limit on my Hennessy and my Bear Mountain Bridge. But i have a 1.7 double Black Bird. Non of them feel like there gonna let me down at any given moment.

In the end it's your choice. But i think you'll be fine.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    off the top of my head I would expect stitching to start pulling apart in the high stress areas. Any sign of that would get my attention.
    I wonder how much testing is done at any level on the material that is often used in hammock. I may be wrong but I doubt the cottage vendors are doing much if any.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    It was beautiful out this weekend, but I couldn't get to the woods, so I was messing around in the back yard on Saturday with all my hammocks.

First I hung my BB 1.7 SL and then my BB 1.1 DL. Hanging them back to back I could definitely feel a difference in comfort. Then I hung my Traveler 1.7 SL and it was completely comfortable and it was the one I took a nap in. Was the difference really that noticeable between the SL and the DL or all in my head? Can't verify, but I did like the comfort of the DL better. I use a UQ, so I don't need the second layer for a pad, but when it comes to the blackbird I'm thinking the double is for me. Traveler I'm happy with the single, but I've not hopped in double...

I've heard of folks hanging with dynaglide whoopies that are over a year old and weigh over 300 lbs. I'm sure no manufacturer would say anything due to safety, but that is where you have to make those decisions.

Not sure if that answered your question at all on safety, but maybe some ideas on comfort. Also I fluctuate from 215 - 240 lbs ( like a bear I fatten up in the winter)
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I am slightly above the stated limit for my SL 1.7 BB and have not seen any problems so far. I actually prefer a stretchy feel so that's why I changed form a DL 1.1. The limits are for comfort and a flatter lay. If you are near the limits I don't think it's a problem. There is a margin of safety. It's not like if you are 10 or 20 pounds over you are going to break anything. The hammocks have to also be able to take some of the dynamic forces that occur so I think there breathing room. Going over will affect your lay but I don't think you are going to be in any danger. I could be wrong but that's my opinion.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I weigh between 200-220 depending on the season. I have a 1.7 single traveller and a BB 1.1 dbl. The lay of the 1.7 single IMHO is not as comfortable as my 1.1 dbl. Now ones a traveller and the other is a WBBB but as for comparing the lay of the two I like the dbl 1.1. I would be very interested to see how heavy of a hanger could get away with a 1.1 single. But I dont know if the weight listed is max supported weight or suggested most comfortable weight?
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    M50 Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopie
    Images
    I would advise against a single 1.1. You are going to get a TON of stretch at 225. However, I think you could do a 1.7S. In my experience, once you pass 200 lb, you'd probably be better off with the 1.7S. The 1.1S is more for people < 180

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    No comments on 1.1 @ 225 but I have a 1.5 SL gathered end and I am around 230 and I don't really notice any stretch and I think it is incredibly comfortable. DIYGS is the only place I have seen 1.5 for sale

• + New Posts