Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Yea, that's the general idea. The Bat hammock is "cleaned" up a lot with less straps going to support the weight. I envisioned something more like a Moonbow gearskin if that makes sense.
    The similarities are definitely there, but I think something wide enough to use as a hammock would be pretty ineffective as a pack. The narrow width of the gearskin (speaking from experience with my homemade one) is a lot of what makes it such a flexible system.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I think this is for true tree huggers right? This would make a great rescue sling.
    Bears can climb trees...he must be referring to a Grizzly who would simply knock the tree down

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The similarities are definitely there, but I think something wide enough to use as a hammock would be pretty ineffective as a pack. The narrow width of the gearskin (speaking from experience with my homemade one) is a lot of what makes it such a flexible system
    The link below shows the gearskin integrated with tarps, bivy, tents but not a hammock. Something like this would be cool with a hammock using the gearskin. I had thought about this in the past and came up with a number of issues why not to do it. The Bat hammock with integral foam just started the "what ifs" again, even if it my not be practical

http://moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1C...1powerpac.html

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    The link below shows the gearskin integrated with tarps, bivy, tents but not a hammock. Something like this would be cool with a hammock using the gearskin. I had thought about this in the past and came up with a number of issues why not to do it. The Bat hammock with integral foam just started the "what ifs" again, even if it my not be practical

http://moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1C...1powerpac.html
    Oh, I understand believe me! My gears are turning all the time...

For those who like pads, there might be something to the idea...integrate a homemade hammock and a CCF pad into a gearskin, so the pack and pad would serve as bottom insulation...I'm just really liking the underquilt idea better!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Oh, I understand believe me! My gears are turning all the time...

For those who like pads, there might be something to the idea...integrate a homemade hammock and a CCF pad into a gearskin, so the pack and pad would serve as bottom insulation...I'm just really liking the underquilt idea better!
    That's something I may have to try out. I could sew netting to the innside of the gearskin and incert the ccp there. It would give a really good frame to the pack. It would also solve the issue of how I was going to pack the pad. The only issue would be the width. I would have to have some sort of wing system.

Ok I really have issues now. It is going to be a week or so before I get my gearskin and I am already thinking about ways to mod it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    That's something I may have to try out. I could sew netting to the innside of the gearskin and incert the ccp there. It would give a really good frame to the pack. It would also solve the issue of how I was going to pack the pad. The only issue would be the width. I would have to have some sort of wing system.

Ok I really have issues now. It is going to be a week or so before I get my gearskin and I am already thinking about ways to mod it.
    I think the idea with a custom pack is to have THEM do the mods BEFORE they send it to you...

Might be good for climbers!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQueen View Post
    Might be good for climbers!
    Climbers have been using slings like that for a while...they're heavier-duty though...and just plain heavier

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i tried a DIY hammock that had webbing running down both sides of the hammock that came together at the tree.
    the hammock was only about 6' long, so it worked a lot like the sling you have probably seen them carry a dolphin in.
    BIG TIME SHOULDER SQUEEZE!!!
    the conclusion i came to was that this kind of hammock (though it allowed you to lay flat) would have to have two structural spreader bars to be comfortable.
    i can't help but believe the bat hammock would be the same.
    the bat does have a little length in the ropes that would give a little bit of spreadability, but i still wonder if you still wouldn't get major shoulder squeeze.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i tried a DIY hammock that had webbing running down both sides of the hammock that came together at the tree.
    the hammock was only about 6' long, so it worked a lot like the sling you have probably seen them carry a dolphin in.
    BIG TIME SHOULDER SQUEEZE!!!
    the conclusion i came to was that this kind of hammock (though it allowed you to lay flat) would have to have two structural spreader bars to be comfortable.
    i can't help but believe the bat hammock would be the same.
    the bat does have a little length in the ropes that would give a little bit of spreadability, but i still wonder if you still wouldn't get major shoulder squeeze.
    Shoulder squeeze definitely looks like a problem with that design. But you could just add a couple of your trek pole pockets, Tim! Problem solved!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast