Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Useful chart, once understood. (There was a post on the other thread that helped me figure out that "warm" and "cold" simply showed the range of temperatures for a given amount of insulation.) By the way, PL Silver has a CLO/oz of 0.72. I submit that even the 10% difference between PL Gold and Apex might be difficult to feel, so above 40° F, take your choice based on other factors.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Careful with that chart, it's a little dangerous...
    I am still tinkering with it and getting more feedback from folks here and at BPL.
    I have since added a "COLD" column. Some people bottom out more than originally realized.

Point being- Personal experience with APEX should set the lower or comfort temp. I say 40, some say 50, some say 60- depends on how you sleep and how you build/use it, and a little mystery too.

CS APEX is the safest choice considering all the variables out there. One layer of 2.5 is a good starter project. At worst- you will have a nice, light summer quilt that you can play with and determine your own rating with. If you like the ease of construction and don't mind a gram weenie level of weight difference- Make another one with 5oz of APEX.

PL is great on paper, great in clothing- what is not known is if all the quilting devalues the lab rating a bit. WV makes very interesting and innovative things with it, but his design goes a long way to cover any quilting loss- and as he says- you may not even notice the difference when it's all said and done.

Keep in mind- that chart is for a gram weenie (me) pushing things a bit. I don't mind if I make a project that doesn't work- if you're only making one- stick with APEX.

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Careful with that chart, it's a little dangerous...
    I am still tinkering with it and getting more feedback from folks here and at BPL.
    I have since added a "COLD" column. Some people bottom out more than originally realized.

Point being- Personal experience with APEX should set the lower or comfort temp. I say 40, some say 50, some say 60- depends on how you sleep and how you build/use it, and a little mystery too.

CS APEX is the safest choice considering all the variables out there. One layer of 2.5 is a good starter project. At worst- you will have a nice, light summer quilt that you can play with and determine your own rating with. If you like the ease of construction and don't mind a gram weenie level of weight difference- Make another one with 5oz of APEX.

PL is great on paper, great in clothing- what is not known is if all the quilting devalues the lab rating a bit. WV makes very interesting and innovative things with it, but his design goes a long way to cover any quilting loss- and as he says- you may not even notice the difference when it's all said and done.

Keep in mind- that chart is for a gram weenie (me) pushing things a bit. I don't mind if I make a project that doesn't work- if you're only making one- stick with APEX.
    Thanks for this advice, Bill. I've been researching this and trying decide which way to go. It seems to me CS APEX should be my choice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123