Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Single-Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Suspension
    Slap Straps

Question Climashield VS. Primaloft

Hello everyone, I am have a bit of a dilemma right now. I am going to make my own DIY under quilt, but I don't know what material to use for the insulation. I want it to be able to go down to around 20-30F. I also want it to be fairly compressible so that it isn't taking up all the space in my pack. As of right now I am leaning towards Primaloft One, but I am open to suggestions. However, I do not want to use down or Insultex.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I have not yet worked with Primaloft, but the Climashield XP that a supplier donated to our troop DIY project was great to work with. It seems like 2 layers equates to a 20 degree rating. It's served me very well the past 5 years, compresses nicely, lofts in a short amount of time and of course when stored properly it lretains it's loft very well.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    ENO Single-Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Thanks for the quick answer. I want to do a little more research before I start my project, but that will definitely be something I look into.

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    I made an underquilt from some loose fill primaloft. It's full length and comes in under 2lbs. Not the lightest I know, but I did get it in to the 30's and was real toasty. It looks bulky as hell and I haven't made a proper stuff sack for it yet, but it does compress quite well. I can get it down to the size of one of those novelty size basketballs (~7in diameter ball). I put it in the bottom of the pack and let the rest of my stuff compress it. Paul at Arrowhead Equipment is the climashield guru. From what I understand it does compress quite well.
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    EDIT: I'm sorry, I misread your post. I, forwhatever reason, thought you were curious about IX. I think I need a Snickers! I'll leave this here just for reference to others anyway. Sorry about that.

Having used Insultex exclusively for over a year I can't recommend it for temps below 40F*. Grant YMMV, but for me It just doesn't breath well enough. 2,3,4 layers; doesn't matter, I still get excessive condensation inside the quilt at temps below 40F*. However, above 40F* I find that it is quite warm and despite some slight condensation from time to time it keeps me plenty warm.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PrimaloftQuilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm currently working projects with primaloft 1. Its not super easy to work with, but not terrible either. I'm also pretty sure that you would find that 2 of the 3 oz layer Primaloft 1, with offset sewn-through stabilization would work really well. I have no doubt it would keep you warm at the 20 degree mark.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Reading posts and looking at products for over year: Climashield is a winner for minimum frustration with DIY construction. I haven't read a complaint. As an owner: it compresses, it recovers loft, drapes pretty well, and it launders easily.

Hammock
    ENO Single-Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Thanks for everyones replies. I think I am going to go with Climashield, as I have heard that you have to quilt Primaloft One, which I have no idea how to do. Thanks for everyones help and advice.

Hammock
    ENO Single-Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Do you think I should make the bottom of the quilt with silnylon, or would 70d coated ripstop work just as well?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutitoutz View Post
    Do you think I should make the bottom of the quilt with silnylon, or would 70d coated ripstop work just as well?
    Neither, absolutely not!

You need the quilt to be breathable while keeping you warm. I personally would recommend a quality DWR finished downproof (calendered) ripstop nylon. There are quite a few choices for this material in 1.1oz @ diygearsupply.com

For, the lightest fabric to meet this need, Thru-hiker's M50 is the top pick, though spendy.

In really high winds you might need more than just that outter shell to keep you heat in. That's where an UQ protector comes in. 2QZQ make them from silny, I prefer the JRB mod for the DriDucks poncho.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast