Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike

Question about ridgelines with whoopies.

I'm a beginner hanger who is an avid hiker who hates adding MORE work in setting up my sleeping quarters. Still takes me a solid 25-30 minutes for everything to be just so... Experience will obviously greatly reduce this time, but after hiking 15 miles, I hate the thought of adding a non-structural/hammock ridgeline to get that patented 30-degree sag for optimal diagonal/flat sleeping...

My question is this: Doesn't whoopie slings and their continuous adjustability act the same as a hammock ridgeline? So confused here. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing all my ground sleepers already cooking dinner while I'm screwing around with my setup.

HELP!!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Maybe your confusion is because an adjustable ridgeline is often a whoopie sling, made so the minimum and maximum lengths are what are needed for a ridge line, say 80-110 inches. That saves line.

The whoopie slings for suspension of the hammocks will be made of heavier cord, with a line breaking strength of 1000-2400 lbs, at least 90% of it preserved with proper (and not difficult) construction.

Hanging the hammock shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. The adjustable ridgeline, the length of which you have previously set by trial and error, makes it that fast and easy.

Key is practice set up at home or in a park. Noobs to their tents who have not done that will puzzling, not just fiddling.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Ditto what DemostiX says. It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to hang a hammock. Having a ridge line set to the length of your liking can help cut down the time to get a repeatable hang. Practice, practice practice and show those ground dwellers who is cooking first
    Last edited by SmokeBait; 04-30-2012 at 20:15. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Are you talking 30 minutes for the hammock, or 30 minutes for the entire setup...i.e. hammock, tarp, bug net, underquilt?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Preparation and Practice. It usually takes me less than 10 minutes to set up hammock, tarp, and insulation. And now that I'm using snake skins, I could probably cut that in half.

Unless it's raining, I start my food first, which consists of boiling water to rehydrate a meal. Then I set up my hammock while the meal is "cooking".

Quote Originally Posted by hikerman2000 View Post
    I'm a beginner hanger who is an avid hiker who hates adding MORE work in setting up my sleeping quarters. Still takes me a solid 25-30 minutes for everything to be just so... Experience will obviously greatly reduce this time, but after hiking 15 miles, I hate the thought of adding a non-structural/hammock ridgeline to get that patented 30-degree sag for optimal diagonal/flat sleeping...

My question is this: Doesn't whoopie slings and their continuous adjustability act the same as a hammock ridgeline? So confused here. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing all my ground sleepers already cooking dinner while I'm screwing around with my setup.

HELP!!
    Perhaps I am missing something, do you not have a ridgeline on your hammock at this time?

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    25-30 minutes for everything, tarp ridgeline, tarp with 4 guy lines, bugnet, hammock, underquilt. I know I'm slow and I have practiced several times before each outing...

Whoopie slings seem to do what the hammock RL does if I'm understanding both correctly.

My hammock is not fashioned to any RL, just my bugnet is along with some hangable gear...

I think I'm just a perfectionist with my tarp bc I want a taught tarp... I just want to know if the whoopie slings serve as the same function as an adjustable hammock RL, thats all...

I know I can reduce my setup times drastically with more practice... Maybe if I fashion tensioners with that rubber tubing to my guy lines for my tarp? I tend to get OCD with a taught rain tarp judging by the fact that I constantly re-tighten the corners;-)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerman2000 View Post
    ...I just want to know if the whoopie slings serve as the same function as an adjustable hammock RL, thats all...
    Yes and no. You can adjust the amount of sag with the whoopie slings, but you may have to fiddle with them to get the sag just right.

A structural ridge line (SRL), locks in the amount of sag so it will be the same each time with a lot less fiddling with the whoopie slings.

An adjustable SRL is used to help you initially find the amount of sag you like. Once this is found, the Adj-SRL is left alone (or replaced with a fixed SRL) and not intended to be re-adjusted every time you set up.

Clear as mud?

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    have you tried stringing up an independent tarp line ? also tarp tensioners might help.

I was thinking whoopies are more about centering the hammock rather than messing with the sag too much.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    When you don't have a ridgeline the suspension runs straight down to the hammock and the amount of sag you have is solely dependent on the angle your suspension is at. When you add a ridgeline the suspension pulls on the line and not the hammock itself so no matter what angle your suspension is at the hammock always has the same amount of sag.

An adjustable ridgeline is just there so you can find out how much sag you like in your hammock (usually 83% of the total hammock length is a good place to start) and once you figure that out you can replace the adjustable RL with a fixed one at whatever length you found comfortable.

Having a ridgeline will most likely make your set up a lot faster since no matter how your suspension is set up the hammock will still lay the same.
    Last edited by Pj1008; 05-01-2012 at 05:49.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast